[Sustain] Tell DOE/Congress: no $ for French government nukes (and more)

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Wed Oct 27 13:20:44 PDT 2010

web banner

6930 Carroll Avenue, #340, Takoma Park, MD 20912; 301-270-6477;
nirsnet at nirs.org <mailto:nirsnet at nirs.org>; www.nirs.org
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=hhl3Z3vPx78ubgUgXjeG3ib1RVUXe0Rk>

*TELL DOE AND CONGRESS:
DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT TAXPAYER LOANS TO FRENCH GOVERNMENT FOR NEW NUKES
IN U.S.!

PLUS:  THE VIRTUAL MARCH ON WASHINGTON CONTINUES GROWING--JOIN IN NOW!*

October 27, 2010

Dear Friends:

It's official: Constellation Energy wanted out of the Calvert Cliffs-3
nuclear reactor project so badly that last night they agreed to sell
their 50% share of it to Electricite de France (EDF) for $140 million,
plus EDF will give back about $100 million in stock it owns in
Constellation. Here is a Baltimore Sun story
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=gcKfAtS2w70x1ALC2dwQdib1RVUXe0Rk>on
the deal.

In other words, Constellation thinks the $240 million or so it's getting
is worth more than 60 years of electricity sales from a $10+ billion
nuclear power plant. That should tell you something about nuclear
power's economic viability when ratepayers aren't forced to subsidize
new reactors.

*But it's not clear our public officials are getting the message.*

Some Maryland politicians--like House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, and a
lot of nuclear industry advocates, are hoping EDF can somehow resurrect
Calvert Cliffs-3 and the entire nuclear "renaissance," which is
crumbling before their eyes. *Incredibly, they're even hoping EDF will
still get, and accept, the $7.5 Billion loan the Department of Energy
promised before Constellation backed out of the project!*

But Electricite de France is exactly what its name sounds like: it's
part of the French government. Why on earth should U.S. taxpayers
provide a loan to the French government to build dangerous, dirty and
extraordinarily expensive nuclear reactors in the U.S.? The answer, of
course, is we shouldn't.

*If you agree, please send a letter now here.
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=k4LysalwfHCEkpqP%2BYyQayb1RVUXe0Rk>
*It will go to Energy Secretary Chu, loan guarantee program chief
Jonathan Silver, and your members of Congress.

And if you can help us continue (and expand!) our winning campaign
against the nuclear "renaissance" and all taxpayer subsidies to the
nuclear industry, please make a tax-deductible donation, of whatever you
can afford, here.
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Hy4HkMEhg2YmoqDuxU%2Fzrib1RVUXe0Rk>We
know many people are giving money to political candidates this time of
year, but we rely on your contributions to do this essential work. Your
support shows us we're going in the right direction and enables us to do
even more!

It's not only Constellation that is backing out of new reactors.
Yesterday, the chief planning officer for nuclear giant Entergy said new
reactors are not "economically attractive."
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=DL6PQYpKVad1WETNCyuTACb1RVUXe0Rk>

*And it's not just a minority of us that are opposed to taxpayer nuclear
loan guarantees. *Yesterday, the Civil Society Institute released a new
poll on energy and climate
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=bf%2BDHAouzWZWtVLpg3yVsib1RVUXe0Rk>(and
in particular, what Independents and Tea Party backers think about these
issues). *Among the findings: only 23% of the American people support
taxpayer loans for new reactors! *On the other hand, 56% support such
loans for renewable energy projects. The entire poll is fascinating and
well worth looking at.

The DOE and Congress need to hear from us now.
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=TR6hqHcCn0SNhpKV49LyIib1RVUXe0Rk>Tell
them no loans to the French government; indeed, no loans at all for new
nuclear reactors!

*The Virtual March on Washington*
We hope you've had a chance to take a look at the growing Virtual March
on Washington! You can do so on the front page of NIRS' website.
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=pPJanQjnpL7uyPyBWeX3Tyb1RVUXe0Rk>
 From now through April 26, 2011--the 25th anniversary of the Chernobyl
catastrophe--we'll be adding new photos to the march; we'll also soon be
adding videos of march "speakers."

We hope you'll stand and be counted, and join us in this virtual
"march." It couldn't be easier. Just send your photo to us at
nirsnet at nirs.org <mailto:nirsnet at nirs.org>. If you'd like a sign to
hold, you can download and print signs here
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=AU1HJI%2FhVAAFJrS2tyuWXyb1RVUXe0Rk>,
or make a sign of your own. Send a photo of yourself, take a photo with
friends and/or your group, take a photo at a protest you're already
doing. *But please join the hundreds who already have sent in their pics
and let's keep this march growing!*

Thanks for all you do,

Michael Mariotte
Executive Director
Nuclear Information and Resource Service
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=oROf8tb2EGeS%2FWp4Rlv5HCb1RVUXe0Rk>

empowered by Salsa <http://www.salsalabs.com/?email>