[Sustain] [SFGP CC] Call For SFGP Support Of SF Urban Ag Legislation

Casey Allen casey at sflandscapes.com
Fri Feb 11 10:59:19 PST 2011

Hello Fellow Greens,

Here is the SFUAA's letter to Rec and Park in support of HANC at it's current location. Kevin Bayuk is one of the founding members of the SFUAA.  Our intention is to open urban gardening and selling one produce from ones garden as a legitimate business operation in SF. I don't think the garden resource center proposed will be a business operation/selling food on site, which is what this zoning change will allow.  I don't think there is a connection except that if this were to pass and HANC replaced by the garden resource center sales of produce could one day happen there.  Sales of food grown on site would be a good thing in our opinion.

http://www.sfuaa.org/hanc-recycling-center.html

Letter to SF Recreation and Park Department Regarding the Haight Ashbury Neighborhood Council
November 5, 2010

General Manager Phil Ginsburg
San Francisco Recreation and Park Department
501 Stanyan Street
San Francisco, CA 94117

Subject: Haight Ashbury Neighborhood Council Recycling Center and Native Plant Nursery

Dear General Manager Ginsburg:

It has come to our attention through articles in the San Francisco Chronicle and through a press release about the possibility of your department evicting the Haight Ashbury Neighborhood Council (HANC) Recycling Center and Native Plant Nursery located at 780 Frederick St., and replacing it with a garden resource center or community garden.  The San Francisco Urban Agriculture Alliance (SFUAA) is both firmly in support of garden resource centers and in support of continued operation of the HANC Recycling Center and Native Plant Nursery.

The HANC Recycling Center, at that location, is already providing enormous benefit to the gardening and urban agriculture community in San Francisco by fully funding and operating the Native Plant Nursery, by donating tons of cardboard for sheet mulch for urban agriculture projects like Hayes Valley Farm, by offering garden education workshops and classes, and by acting as a garden resource distribution point for compost for events like the 10/10/10 SF 350 Kitchen Garden Challenge.  We are firmly in support of its continued tenancy and operation at 780 Frederick St., providing such garden services in addition to the community benefits of acting as a Bottle Bill redemption site for recyclers; a resource for residential fats, oils and grease recycling to protect our sewer system and home compost piles; and as a contributor to the city's overall zero waste goals.

Recently, the SFUAA Policy Working Group worked with the Mayor’s office to compile, analyze, and offer recommendations of best uses for underutilized city-owned land to the Food Policy Council, as identified in the recent land audit ordered by Mayor Newsom’s Executive Directive on “Healthy and Sustainable Food”.  The SFUAA recommended prioritizing garden resource centers and community gardens, including some on Recreation and Park Department land, in order to maximize food production in San Francisco.

The SFUAA supports equal access to food production and believes a new garden resource center would best serve San Francisco if it was in a location that currently did not currently have a garden resource center.  The Inner Sunset neighborhood is fortunate enough to have Garden for the Environment, at 7th and Lawton, which currently serves the Inner Sunset neighborhood.  Currently, a number of neighborhoods lack a garden resource center or an adequate supply of community garden space, therefore we suggest that instead of evicting the HANC Recycling Center and Native Plant Nursery, more support and priority be given to garden resource centers in under-served areas of San Francisco.

We request that you reconsider any plans to evict the HANC Recycling Center and Native Plant Nursery and instead support the establishment of garden resource centers in higher need neighborhoods in San Francisco.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth Martin-Craig, Antonio Roman-Alcala, & Eli Zigas
Co-coordinators of the San Francisco Urban Agriculture Alliance

cc:  Mayor Gavin Newsom
      Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi
      Recreation and Park Commission
      HANC Recycling Committee