[Sustain] Report Back: SFPUC Desalination Action Item

Eric Brooks brookse32 at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 1 12:36:02 PDT 2011

Hi all,

At the June 14th SFPUC hearing, Commissioners Francesca Vietor and Art
Torres, were very skeptical about the wisdom of the desal appropriation,
citing both environmental and economic reasons, however they ended up
compromising a bit. (Commissioner Vince Courtney who moved to postponed
the item l in May, was not present.)

So the SFPUC commissioners (because they were essentially split on the
issue) decided to postpone the desalination item for one full month
(until Tuesday, July 12) with direction to staff which creates both
positives and negatives for us. (See further below for details.)

The upshot is that, while we gained some ground, we have not yet
achieved even what we asked for in the joint letter (see text attached).

There is a possible opportunity to even get three of the five
commissioners to reject the appropriation altogether; and at the very
least we may be able to get them to stage the expenditures and studies
on all of this so that they answer basic questions like local water need
and potential for alternatives before money is spent specifically on
scoping for desal itself.

Some key points:

- SFPUC staff pretty aggressively defended the appropriation, even in
light of the letter and some solid commentary via a separate email from
me, and in public comment from myself and Peter Drekmeier really taking
to task the fundamental validity of desal, especially using ocean, bay
and estuary waters. Staff was in fact so insistent that I am guessing
some contractors which stand to make a good chunk of money on this deal
are probably working this issue behind the scenes.

- Staff's most successful argument to refute our position, was their
claim that, in order to answer the questions we posed in the letter,
they needed to pass the $200,000 appropriation so that the studies can
be commissioned to specifically answer such questions.

(We have at least two good counter arguments which are: 1) Needs
assessments and alternatives assessments can be conducted without doing
a larger appropriation to study desalination itself, and that those
needs and alternatives assessments should clearly be conducted first,
before jumping into desal planning. 2) There has already been a San
Francisco Bay desalination pilot. Existing information from that pilot
and other desal projects around the world, along with existing data on
San Francisco Bay habitat, wildlife populations, and endangered species,
should first be analyzed to answer only the specific question of whether
it is fundamentally environmentally sensible to engage in desalination
of the San Francisco Bay waters in the first place. A more preliminary
initial assessment like this does not require a study of an entire
proposal for desalination. It will save money and staff resources to do
these preliminary assessments of need, alternatives, and environmental
advisability first, before proceeding with a full study for desal
implementation.)

- Commissioners Art Torres specifically raised the issue that a pilot
has already been done, and that we should be able to get enough
information from that pilot. Both he and Commissioner Francesca Vietor
strongly questioned the advisability of spending so much money on this
study during such drastic budget times. Both also questioned, as we
have, whether desalination might in fact be an environmental non-starter
in the first place.  In addition Commissioner Torres raised the issue
that ratepayers will be paying for this, and that therefore a robust
engagement with the public should be engaged before the appropriation is
approved. He noted that the MOA had no funding in it for public
outreach, and staff admitted that this was the case. (The MOA mentions
public outreach, but not with enough specificity, nor with dedicated
funding.) Unfortunately this line of reasoning, while solid, also sent
the hearing in the direction of a possible weak compromise next month
that might allow the appropriation to go forward unless we really gear
up and push hard for an alternative strategy in the next three weeks.
(See my last dashed bullet note for a description of this potential
compromise problem.)

- As noted below in the May hearing, Commissioner Vince Courtney (head
of the local Laborers trade union) supported the position that enviros
should get more input before the appropriation is approved. If we do
some dedicated lobbying with him, and Commissioners Torres and Vietor,
giving them strong environmental and economic/green-jobs arguments
against desal, we may very well be able to get them to simply vote down
the proposal (because the full commission. And by green jobs arguments I
mean describing for them that, if we focus our water sustainability
efforts on an -extensive- citywide retrofitting of homes, businesses,
open space, pavements, capture-storage, and a strongly ramped up
efficiency of our entire local water delivery system, hundreds of
ongoing jobs can be created; far, far more than would be created by
building and running an environmentally harmful desal plant.)

- Commissioners Anne Moller Caen, and Anson Moran (who is the water
expert on the Commission) both pretty strongly supported staff's
position that the full money must be appropriated so sufficient study
can be done. It is conceivable that if we lay out a good argument and
plan for Commissioner Moran for a more phased approach as our letter
suggests and as I note above, we may be able to get him on board, but my
gut tells me it would be tough to get his buy-in on it.

- As noted above, the hearing ended with Torres and Vietor supporting
our position - Caen and Moran opposing - (with Courtney not present). To
get past the impasse, they reached a compromise between eachother, and
staff, that they would postpone their vote on the MOA to July 12, with
the stipulation that staff would amend the MOA to clearly lay out a
strong public, and ratepayer, outreach plan so that there can be a
robust public process engaged as studies move forward. Early in the
hearing Commissioner Torres seemed pretty adamant that some strong
public outreach and a public hearing be engaged -before- the $200,000
appropriation was engaged, however his (and Vietor's) final stand on
this by the end was a little unclear and we should firm it up.

Final Notes:

Essentially, July 12 will probably -be- our public hearing, so if we
want to have a strong impact we need to send reps from all of our groups
to that hearing (along with detailed referenced written public comment
beforehand) so that we show them a really solid grassroots presence at
that hearing. It will help a lot if we can also drum up some opposition
from ratepayer groups. I'll also talk to Joshua Arce of Brightline
Defense Project to also weigh in on the basis that extensive in-city
community wide retrofit will be far better for creating a boom in local
green jobs for water sustainability.

We have a really good shot at winning this if we put up a strong effort.

Eric B