[Sustain] VERY Time Sensitive - Need SFGP OK To Oppose SF Bay Desalination Project

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Thu Jun 9 08:58:10 PDT 2011

Hi all,

The SF Public Utilities Commission, in a surprise move, recently fast
tracked an action item for its meeting this coming Tuesday to approve a
$200,000 appropriation for the SFPUC to take part in a San Francisco Bay
desalination project with other Bay Area counties.

Desalination is a really bad environmental process which uses huge
amounts of energy to run salt water through reverse osmosis filters in
order to produce drinking water. Besides using energy it also kills
massive amounts of marine life, and produces a highly toxic high salt
brine that then must be either disposed of (potentially contaminating
ground water) or returned to open waters (badly contaminating estuaries,
bays and oceans). (To learn more about the harms caused by desalination
go to:
http://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/reports/desalination-an-ocean-of-problems/
)

I will be at the SFPUC hearing and need two approvals from the SFGP:

1) To oppose San Francisco's involvement in the desalination project.

2) To sign SFGP on to the attached letter that Baykeeper has drafted to
present to the SFPUC before its meeting Tuesday.

CC members please review and let me know by tomorrow if you can, if I
can tell Baykeeper we are on board to sign the letter.

peace

Eric B