[Sustain] Fwd: Vote on shark question in Chronicle online poll

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Wed Mar 9 14:55:21 PST 2011

Not exactly. All ocean life is indeed in danger, but shark are in a
particularly precarious state, and also occupy a particularly crucial
role as top predators, without which entire ocean ecosystems begin to
fail. This inordinately threatens all ocean species.

The other important factor in all of this is that eating shark fin soup
is like wearing fur. It is totally unnecessary and extremely wasteful
because once the valuable fins are taken, most of the shark are thrown
back into the ocean to die.

So the shark fin situation is a serious crisis that needs to be ended
immediately.

Protecting shark in the ocean is similar to protecting returning wolves
in the Rockies. It is absolutely vital to entire bioregions.

And no one would say that since other mammals are threatened we
shouldn't engage immediate special protections for wolves ;)

cheers

Eric B