[Sustain] Emails Reveal Cover-Up of Environmental Risks at Hunters Point

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Tue Mar 22 00:26:06 PDT 2011

            Emails show EPA, SF Health Department, and Lennar
            Corporation colluded to manipulate public presentations in
            order to conceal serious toxic construction project hazards
            from the public and elected officials.

  Emails Reveal Alleged Cover-Up of Environmental Risks at Hunters Point

http://www.baycitizen.org/development/story/alleged-cover-environmental-risks/

    Federal and city officials announce investigations into alleged
    collusion with developer

By John Upton <http://www.baycitizen.org/profiles/john-upton/> on March
21, 2011 - 7:41 p.m. PDT

Bookmark and Share <http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php?v=250>
<http://media.baycitizen.org/uploaded/images/2010/7/hunters-point-shipyard/lightbox/2365903668_ae3ed2b47d_z.jpg>

Creative Commons/smi23le <http://www.flickr.com/photos/smi23le/2365903668/>
Candlestick Park and the Hunters Point shipyard, as seen from the peak
of San Bruno Mountain April 14, 2008

Federal and city officials announced Monday they would investigate new
allegations that government staff colluded with developer Lennar Corp.
to cover up health risks associated with the redevelopment of the
Hunters Point Naval Shipyard in San Francisco.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the San Francisco
Department of Public Health announced their investigations after Bayview
neighborhood activists on Monday released emails <http://bayc.it/dDlV/>
from 2006 to 2009 in which officials asked the developer and its
consultants to help draft public statements about the safety of dust
kicked up by the controversial building project.

San Francisco's Board of Supervisors approved much of the sprawling
redevelopment plan last year after receiving assurances from federal and
local officials that it was safe, despite toxic compounds, radioactive
contamination and naturally occurring asbestos in swaths of the
shuttered shipyard's soil. A 75-acre outlying chunk of the project area
was transferred to Lennar in 2005, but the construction of homes has not
yet begun.

"I'm sure you will also want to change my wording on how I portray the
problems, lack of monitors, etc.," San Francisco Department of Public
Health official Amy Brownell told Lennar employees in an Oct. 13, 2006
email while preparing for a safety-related presentation. "Go ahead and
change any way you want. I may change some of it back but I'm willing to
read your versions."

Several months later, department official David Rizzolo told Brownell
and another colleague that he did not want to obtain any more data on
worker exposures to asbestos.

"It seems to me that the available facts are on our side, so we should
stay away from trying to create more data," Rizzolo wrote in the Jan.
19, 2007 email. "More data might not help us. We can talk more about
this directly."

The new allegations come on top of claims
<http://www.baycitizen.org/development/story/nonprofit-says-city-took-revenge-airing/> that
former Mayor Gavin Newsom's administration helped strip a
state-administered environmental communications contract away from a
local nonprofit that publicly criticized aspects of the redevelopment
project.

More recent examples of alleged collusion with Lennar released Monday by
the activists involved the federal government.

"I'm searching for a way to justify that the development is acceptable
without getting into details of risk assessment," EPA Region 9 Remedial
Project Manager Mark Ripperda told a Lennar consultant in a Nov. 3, 2009
email regarding dust that was stirred up the developer's grading
operations. "I'm open to any written narrative or bullet list that you
think might work."

Work shutdowns occur when airborne asbestos levels at the construction
site are unsafe. Lennar was fined $515,000 by air regulators in 2008 for
engaging in practices that allowed dust to blanket surrounding
neighborhoods.

"I prefer to keep our message as simple as possible and stay away from
health assessment and from shut-down days," Ripperda wrote in an Oct.
28, 2009 email to the same consultant, Iris Environmental.

The U.S. EPA and San Francisco have repeatedly stated that airborne
asbestos levels in the surrounding low-income neighborhoods were safe,
but the emails released Monday raise questions about the veracity of
those statements.

Jaron Browne, a leader of the loose-knit coalition of activist groups
that secured and released the emails, said the correspondence
demonstrates a "consistent pattern where the regulators were repeatedly
running their messaging and their communications with the community
first by Lennar."

The groups, organized as the SLAM Coalition of Bayview Hunters Point
Community Organizations, called on the FBI and the mayor's office to
investigate allegations of public corruption associated with the
redevelopment project.

Two nonprofit members of the coalition, POWER and Green Action, are
suing to overturn certification of the redevelopment project's
environmental impact report, arguing that the document didn't properly
consider health impacts from soil pollution at the site.

Jared Blumenfeld, EPA Region 9 director, promptly responded Monday to
the release of the emails.

"I take these allegations very seriously," Blumenfeld said in a
statement. "Today, I initiated a comprehensive review of the entire matter."

Blumenfeld said the agency "stands by" the science and conclusions
published in a June 2010 report
<http://yosemite.epa.gov/r9/sfund/r9sfdocw.nsf/3dc283e6c5d6056f88257426007417a2/0c75e85cfacd2c748825773c0080dab5%21OpenDocument>
that found that air-monitoring measures at the shipyard were protecting
human health.

The San Francisco Department of Public Health also announced that it
would conduct a review of the matter.

"All concerns regarding our regulatory responsibilities are taken very
seriously," Health Officer Tomás Aragón said in a brief statement. "We
will prepare a response when we have had sufficient time to study these
issues."

A review of the emails by the health department will be forwarded to
Mayor Edwin M. Lee, spokeswoman Christine Falvey said.

Lennar Urban Vice President Kofi Bonner said that residents of the
Bayview and Hunters Point neighborhoods can be assured that levels of
asbestos at the project are not harmful.

"Nothing in these emails suggests any data was hidden, altered or
covered up," Bonner said in a statement. "Lennar has cooperated and
continues to cooperate with regulators to minimize exposure to this
naturally occurring material. We listen and respond when regulators
require us to act or seek our cooperation."