[Sustain] URGENT Alert: New Head Of CA Fish & Game Hunted & Killed Mountain Lion For Sport! Demand His Removal!

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Sat Feb 18 02:27:16 PST 2012

Alert: New Head Of CA Fish & Game Hunted & Killed Mountain Lion For
Sport - Bragged & Posed For 'Trophy' Photo!

Please all, take a moment to express your outrage and forward this alert
widely to others.

We must demand that Dan Richard be removed from his post immediately!

http://www.earthisland.org/journal/index.php/elist/eListRead/ca_fish_and_game_comission_president_shoots_cougar_and_boasts_about_it/

    CA Fish and Game Commission President Shoots Cougar and Boasts About
    Hunt in Magazine

by Maureen Nandini Mitra
<http://www.earthisland.org/journal/index.php/elist/oeuvre/maureen-mitra/>
-- February 17, 2012

        Humane Society of US Urges Californians to Voice Concern About
        Dan Richards' Leadership

Apparently Dan Richards, the new president of California Fish and Game
Commission likes to hunt and is willing to travel to states that allow
people to kill big wildlife --- environment, conservation, and simple
compassion be damned.

Photo courtesy www.ForestWander.com
<http://www.earthisland.org/journal/index.php/elist/eListRead/ca_fish_and_game_comission_president_shoots_cougar_and_boasts_about_it/www.ForestWander.com>We
can't post the photograph in question here since it might be subject to
copyright. To view Richards
with his "trophy", click here
<http://www.wonews.com/images/image-manager/2012/feb/3%20yrs%20110%20lb%20cat.jpg>.

Yesterday, the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), CA, posted a
picture of the Richards holding up a dead mountain lion he shot during a
hunting expedition in Idaho.

It's illegal to shoot mountain lions in California.  So Richards
schlepped over to another state to fulfill his bloodlust.

A little snooping around on the Net turned up the site where the
original photo was posted --- a blog in Western Outdoor News
<http://www.wonews.com/Blog.aspx?id=1646> --- a fishing and hunting
weekly. Here's the caption accompanying the photograph that Richards
himself supplied the publication.

*/"NEW COMMISSION PRESIDENT CELEBRATES A SUCCESSFUL HUNT --/*/California
Fish and Game commissioner Dan W. Richards travelled deep into the
wicked terrain of Idaho's Flying B Ranch to fulfill a long-held goal.
"It was the most physically exhausting hunt of my lifetime. Eight hours
of cold weather hiking in very difficult terrain. I told the guides I
appreciated the hard work. They were unbelievably professional, first
class all the way," he said. Richards said he took the big cat over iron
sights using a Winchester Centennial lever action .45 carbine. Asked
about California's mountain lion moratorium, Richards didn't hesitate.
*"I'm glad it's legal in Idaho." *(emphasis added) /

Wow!

The blog also notes that Richards is outspoken opponent of the Marine
Life Protection Act <http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/> (MLPA) that requires
the state to improve the way it protects the ocean.

Richards' decision to "not only hunt an animal whose protection has
twice been approved by California voters, but to post a photo showing
his glee over the trophy kill, undermines Californians' confidence in
the state's leadership and commitment to wisely managed natural
resources," HSUS' California director Jennifer Fearing said in a
statement today. "Richards' example stands in stark contrast to the work
by dozens of stakeholders -- including The HSUS -- which just yesterday
culminated in the adoption of an interim strategic vision
<http://vision.ca.gov/docs/Final_EC_Adopts_ISV_120216.pdf> for
California's fish and wildlife," she added.

The Humane Society is urging Californians to contact the Fish and Game
Commission <http://www.fgc.ca.gov/contact/> and voice their concerns
about Richards' leadership role. I urge you to heed their call.

PS: When I contacted the Fish and Game Commission this afternoon I was
told that their phones had been "ringing off the hook" but there were no
senior officials around today to field the calls.

*Maureen Nandini Mitra
<http://www.earthisland.org/journal/index.php/elist/oeuvre/maureen-mitra/>,
Managing Editor, Earth Island Journal.*Maureen Nandini Mitra photo
In addition to her work at the Journal, Maureen is a columnist for The
Faster Times <http://thefastertimes.com> and writes for several other
magazines and online publications in the US and India. A journalism
graduate from Columbia University, her work has appeared in the San
Francisco Public Press <http://sfpublicpress.org>, The New
Internationalist <http://www.newint.org/>, Sueddeutsche Zeitung
<http://www.sueddeutsche.de>, /The Caravan
<http://www.caravanmagazine.in>/ and Down to Earth