[Sustain] CEQA: ALERT! Contact Supervisors Today To Support Our Ability To Appeal Modifications Of Projects

Eric Brooks brookse32 at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 22 09:58:19 PDT 2013

Hi all,

Please see below the CEQA message that I just emailed to the Board of
Supervisors, and then email similar individual and group communications
to our two key swing votes on this issue, Supervisors Malia Cohen and
London Breed at:

Malia.Cohen at sfgov.org    london.breed at sfgov.org

Hi Supervisors and staff,

Tomorrow you will be deciding on a piece of trailing legislation to the
CEQA procedures that you passed on first reading last week. This
important trailing legislation is agenda item 65, #130464.

Please know that this trailing legislation embodies a -vital- assurance
that members of the Community CEQA Improvement Team must have, in order
to support of the overall agreement on CEQA procedures that you began
putting into place last week.

Specifically, because the main legislation now requires that CEQA
appeals must be filed after the -first- approval of a project, the
public will completely lose the ability it now has, to appeal any
project that substantially changes after its first approvals (when the
Environmental Review Officer determines that the project change does not
require a new environmental review). The Community CEQA Improvement Team
considers it absolutely essential that the public have the right to seek
a public hearing with the Environmental Review Officer in cases in which
we feel that the Environmental Review Officer has erred in deciding that
a substantial change does not warrant a new environmental review. Such a
right is the backstop that the public needs, to prevent projects from
becoming harmful to the environment and San Francisco neighborhoods due
to error, neglect, or bad action.

It is very important to note that because this new appeal procedure is
merely administrative, and not an appeal under CEQA law itself, such
appeals of project modifications will not in any way delay projects
moving forward during the appeal period.

Because this trailing legislation will give us an assured ability to
challenge significant project changes, in return we feel we can support
the full package of CEQA procedures legislation and trailing legislation
together. This at last, after a 10 year delay, will form a
groundbreaking compromise that will ensure vast improvements in CEQA
procedures in San Francisco so that they are better for both project
sponsors and project appellants.

We strongly urge you to vote 'Yes', and show your support for this
crucial trailing legislation, so that all parties to these CEQA
procedures negotiations can finally reach a fair and productive compromise.

Thank you,

Eric Brooks
Coordinator, Community CEQA Improvement Team
415-756-8844