[Sustain] Fwd: Alert: Contact SF Supervisor David Chiu By Noon Mon, May 6, To Defend Environmental Quality Act

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Sun May 5 16:00:59 PDT 2013

Hi all,

California's most important environmental law, the California
Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) is under attack. In late August of last
year, state Senator Darrell Steinberg (D-Sacramento) attempted to
introduce legislation that would have greatly weakened CEQA, making it
much harder for citizens and environmental groups to appeal bad
corporate and developer projects that would harm ecosystems and
communities. Thankfully, a statewide coalition of over 150 organizations
was able to block that attack and protect CEQA at the state level.

Local Attack On San Francisco CEQA Protections

But only two months later, using the November and December election and
holiday time as cover, San Francisco Supervisor Scott Wiener launched
his own attack locally to gut San Francisco CEQA protections. In the
guise of cleaning up some small inefficiencies in the local CEQA
process, Supervisor Wiener's proposed amendments would force
environmental determinations on projects to happen so quickly and so
removed from the sight of the public, that in many cases we would not
even find out that a problem project was happening, let alone be
empowered to challenge it. To take immediate action to help stop this
attack on our local environmental protections go to:
http://tinyurl.com/cmvzkuq - or read on for more details.

Local Coalition Rises Up To Defend CEQA

In late October 2012, Our City brought together a new coalition that has
now grown to over 41 environmental, social justice, community and labor
organizations, which is fighting to defend our local CEQA protections.
Together we have succeeded in drafting counter legislation to Wiener's
attack measure. Our community-based CEQA alternative, now sponsored by
Supervisor Jane Kim, will make CEQA more fair and efficient, but also
make local CEQA protections stronger (not weaker).

But Supervisor Kim's measure is trailing Supervisor Wiener's proposal in
the legislative process at the San Francisco Board of Supervisors,
creating the danger of Supervisor Wiener's bad legislation becoming law.

WHAT YOU CAN DO:

Contact Board of Supervisors President David Chiu and our other San
Francisco supervisors by noon Monday, May 6, to support Jane Kim's
community alternative. Follow the link below to Sierra Club's easy to
use CEQA action alert:

http://tinyurl.com/cmvzkuq

Please forward this email widely.

And as always, thank you for your continued involvement and action.

peace

Eric Brooks
Campaign Coordinator
Our City

--

This alert sent by:
Our City

For more information about Our City campaigns go to:

Web: http://ourcitysf.org
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/OurCitySF
Twitter: http://twitter.com/OurCitySF

--

"I am not a liberator. Liberators do not exist. The people liberate
themselves."

Che Guevara