[Sustain] CEQA UPDATE: Next Strategy Meeting & Hearing, Mon, May 13, 11:45am & 1:30pm, SF Main Library (Stong Room - 1st floor) & SF City Hall Rm 263 *AND* HPC Wed May 15, 12:30, Rm 400

Eric Brooks brookse32 at earthlink.net
Wed May 8 16:09:21 PDT 2013

Hi again all,

In Monday's Land Use Committee hearing, Supervisor David Chiu once again
amended improvements into Supervisor Wiener's CEQA legislation, but once
again he did not address the key fundamental remaining issues on which
we must stand firm, and on which Jane Kim's measure is far superior. And
Chiu yet again, only gave us a one week continuance when we needed two.
  NOTE: Kim's legislation also goes before the Historic Preservation
Commission next Wednesday May 15th. (See next week's meeting and hearing
info below.)

Remaining Problems & Requirements

As before, the most dangerous aspect of Wiener's legislation - the
trigger of all appeals on the FIRST APPROVAL of a project - has -not-
been removed. Other serious problems remain, such as too much CEQA
judgement power being delegated to city departments, reduced noticing on
projects within area plans, and project approvals being allowed during
the CEQA appeal of a project.

We must also insist on strong proactive language allowing us to appeal
project modifications. And we must insist on sufficient time to add
solid supports for affordable housing and pedestrian safety.

So we are closer to the end of this, but still need to stay on top of it
and push Chiu to make Jane's measure the foundation of the new CEQA
procedures, and to give us the time to make this real by bringing Jane's
measure to active status in committee on May 20th.

Here are next week's meeting details:

1) PRE LAND USE (& HPC) CEQA STRATEGY MEETING

- Monday, May 13, 11:45am
- SF Main Library, Stong Room, 1st Floor
(the SF Library is between United Nations Plaza & SF City Hall near
Civic Center BART/Muni)

2) LAND USE COMMITTEE HEARING ON CEQA AMENDMENTS

- Monday, May 13, 1:30pm
- SF City Hall, Room 263
(to support FINAL APPROVAL TRIGGER & Kim's community alternative)

3) HISTORIC PRESERVATION COMMISSION HEARING ON KIM CEQA LEGISLATION

- Wednesday, May 15, 12:30pm
- SF City Hall, Room 400
(IMPORTANT: the HPC now appears to be stacked with developer rubber
stamps and we need to put high pressure on this hearing)

in solidarity!

Eric Brooks
Campaign Coordinator, Our City
415-756-8844