[Sustain] Fwd: Victory On Candlestick, Now Let’s Win Something More!

Eric Brooks brookse32 at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 19 13:24:15 PST 2015

Subject:     Victory On Candlestick, Now Let’s Win Something More!
Date:     Sun, 18 Jan 2015 00:21:35 -0500
From:     Shirley Moore <sammy988 at aol.com>

Thank you everybody for your hard work and dedication to this cause. We
have succeeded in our effort to stop the implosion of Candlestick
Stadium, which, as you know, would have exacerbated the already burdened
air quality of our neighborhood. Your stepping to the plate to take a
swing for the safety of our community was a giant step. Hooray for us!
We deserve a celebration and to congratulate ourselves.
Now that we know that we can make a difference, it is time for us to use
the powerful momentum and coalition we have created in order to win
larger victories. The Bayview Hill Neighborhood Association was the lead
group in the fight against the implosion. Now it is time to form a new
larger group to carry forward a new mission to ensure developers are
working closely with the needs of the community in -every- case, not
just on this demolition.
Several groups and organizations that were involved in this effort are
getting together to form a grassroots organization that can oversee
construction projects in our neighborhood and our city, and to make
recommendations for legislative changes that would serve our
communities. Our first step is to ensure that the demolition of
Candlestick Park is done in an environmentally and socially responsible
way. Even though we have secured a mechanical demolition, this does not
guarantee that it will be safe.
Lennar Urban is planning to begin demolition at the end of this month so
we have only two weeks to shape the talking points on our safety
concerns with this process. We want the demolition and reconstruction to
move forward on a good schedule, we want to see a new era for this
neighborhood. However, we must ensure that this happens in a way that is
healthy and beneficial for all of us, and to workers.
Please join us in attending the OCII Commission meeting on January 20th.
At this meeting we will be focusing on the following talking points:
1) Dust control - as an Air Care Community, we require the most
state-of-the-art dust control methods.
2) Local hiring - we want to see apprentice and journeyman hires from
the local area.
3) Enforcement - we are concerned that some regulations are unenforced
or "good-faith" and would like to see all regulations have teeth, with
our own people brought in as direct observers of the demolition and
construction.
Where: City Hall room 416
When: January 20th 1:00 pm
Thank you again for your dedication to this cause. We look forward to
continuing our work with you.

STAND. Together we are strong.
Shirley and Julia