[Sustain] Fwd: RE: HR 3053-National Nuclear Waste Policy Act revision- moves to Senate

Don Eichelberger done7777 at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 15 16:39:56 PDT 2018

More info on HR 3053 from NIRS

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	RE: HR 3053-National Nuclear Waste Policy Act revision- moves
to Senate
Date: 	Mon, 14 May 2018 23:44:26 +0000
From: 	Mary Olson <maryo at nirs.org>

Don—THANK You for posting. I am not a subscriber to all the lists you
copied (and are listed above)…only the NFC list.

Re: HR 3053 / the Nuclear Waste Policy Amendments Act:

If folks are not on the Nuclear Information and Resource Service ALERT
list, you might want to look back at some of the action-steps /
background info. We don’t know what a Senate Bill would look like, but
speaking against the bad provisions of HR 3053 is a good starting point.

NIRS ALERTS: https://www.nirs.org/alerts-rss/(there are a range of
issues—but MANY on this waste bill).

Join the ALERT LIST (we will be working the Senate side):

http://org2.salsalabs.com/o/5502/p/salsa/web/common/public/signup?signup_page_KEY=10277

If these provisions become law, it will allow the Dept of Energy to
become owner of the largest pile of irradiated fuel on the planet,
currently located in over 70 congressional districts, and on property
belonging to some of the largest corporations in any state) and then
ship it, as tax-payer property, to privately owned storage sites (each
in only one congressional district) and then, well, probably effectively
walk away…leaving one House Member and two Senators to worry about what
happens next.

Alternately, AREVA will determine what happens next, since the French
reprocessing giant loves plutonium separation, one can imagine a huge
nuclear-welfare-program for the plutonium-based “Gen IV” reactors….or
since it is now DOE / NNSA plutonium…hell, why not just send it off to
NNSA Plutonium Land. (I know, I get a bit over the top about Plutonium—I
have given 20+ years to the NIX MOX campaign…and am deeply offended to
hear that NNSA / DOE want to take the MOX factory (at SRS) we fought
long and hard and now convert it to a Plutonium PIT factory—the cores
for thermonuclear weapons). Great.

Mary

Mary Olson

maryo at nirs.org <mailto:maryo at nirs.org>