Subject: Brainstorming for this year's Summit
From: TALC <[email-masked]>
To: TALC Core <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 15:38:23 -0800

Transportation and Land Use Coalition

We need your help in BRAINSTORMING for this year’s Summit!

Please join TALC staff on Tuesday, January 31st, 12-1:30pm to help brainstorm
the following for the April 1st summit:
Theme
Workshops
Activities
Event Duration
and more

Lunch will be provided at our office, located at 405-14th St. Suite 605 in 
downtown Oakland. For those who would love to participate but can’t make it 
to our office, we have teleconferencing capacity.  In either case, please 
RSVP to [email-masked] by January 30, 12pm.

Also…
Got great training?
We're looking for organizations or individuals who would like to offer a 
training at this year's Summit to be held on Saturday, April 1st.

There are several benefits of offering a training:
You will help build the movement by increasing activists' skills
You will be recognized as an expert in your field by our audience of 300 
attendees, and featured in the program with your contact information
Trainers get free admission and a free lunch

WHAT TO DO
Do you have a training you could offer? Do you know someone who does? If 
so, please send a brief proposal (1-2 paragraphs) listing the name of your 
organization, what the training would cover, and a brief summation of your 
qualifications or experience. Email it to <[email-masked]> or fax 
it to 510-740-3131 by Monday, January 30, 12pm. Proposals will be reviewed 
by TALC staff, and we will get back to you by Friday, February 3.

CRITERIA
*Proposals that meet the following criteria are more likely to be accepted:
*Presenter/organization is experienced with and knowledgeable about the 
subject matter
*Degree to which attendees are likely to benefit from a training on this 
subject
*Degree to which the topic relates to one (or more) of the campaigns in 
TALC's strategic plan.

I. Great Communities Initiative
Planning Great Communities: Transit station areas represent our best hope 
for providing housing in walkable communities near transit. Desired 
outcome: Future growth offers residents attractive walkable communities, 
with housing affordable to people of all incomes.

Changing the Framework for Growth: While planning and development are local 
issues, state laws and regional policies have a significant impact in 
encouraging sprawl or smart growth. TALC will support efforts of groups to 
reform state legislation supporting Smart Growth.

II. World Class Transportation
Bus Rapid Transit (BRT): TALC will continue to push for projects that will 
provide the fastest, lowest-cost way to dramatically improve the speed and 
quality of public transit in our region. Desired outcome: The BRT, 
"Enhanced Bus" and Express bus networks outlined in World Class Transit for 
the Bay Area and Revolutionizing Bay Area Transit...on a Budget fully 
funded and built.

Regional Rail: The Bay Area has a fragmented passenger rail network with 
poor interconnectivity, making it difficult to travel through the region. 
Desired outcome: An integrated network of rail throughout the Bay Area with 
increased passenger rail service that attract 140,000 more daily riders by 
2020 and has an effective high-speed rail connection to Southern California 
and Sacramento.

Safe Routes: Today 23% of injuries are bicyclists and pedestrians yet only 
1% of funding for safety projects goes to bicycle and pedestrian safety. 
Desired outcome: Bicycling and walking so safe and convenient that trips by 
walking and bicycling double by 2015.

Funding World Class Transportation: At least $10 billion must be raised 
over the next 25 years to maintain our existing transit system and fund 
some strategic cost-effective expansions. Desired outcome: New regional 
revenue sources, which are more stable and equitable than sales and 
property taxes, provide sufficient funding to implement TALC’s proposals.

Promoting Healthy, Sustainable Travel Campaign: No comprehensive marketing 
is occurring for transit in the region. Desired outcome: Increase the 
percentage of transit, walking, and bicycling, and increase public 
awareness of the benefits of ecologically sound transportation alternatives 
and how to use them.

III. TEACH (Transportation Equity and Community Health Initiative)
The Bay Area transportation crisis is not just about traffic congestion. It 
is a growing crisis for the over 2.3 million Bay Area residents who do not 
own or drive a vehicle. Lifeline transportation service recognizes that 
transportation is also a vital service for daily existence, especially for 
low-income families who often have fewer transportation options than those 
with greater means.

Lifeline Transportation Network: The Lifeline transportation Network would 
result in more transportation services needed by low-income families, such 
as more frequent buses, longer hours, shelters & seats, discount passes, 
auto loan programs, child care shuttles for low-income families, and more.

Access to Health: Access to Health aims to bring together local residents, 
health care providers and transit officials to work together towards 
improving transportation access to medical care services in underserved 
neighborhoods in the Bay Area.

Transportation and Land Use Coalition (TALC)
TALC is a partnership of over 90 groups working for a sustainable and 
socially just Bay Area. We envision a region with healthy, walkable 
communities that provide all residents with transportation choices and 
affordable housing. The coalition analyzes county and regional policies, 
works with community groups to develop alternatives, and coordinates 
grassroots campaigns.
www.transcoalition.org