[SFGP] San Francisco Green Party Weekly

ErikaSF at aol.com ErikaSF at aol.com
Thu Jun 3 20:09:34 PDT 2004

Hello Fellow Greens,

In this update:
1. News
2. Events

NEWS:
Pro-War Congressman Tom Lantos was uninvited to the commencement ceremony at
City College of San Francisco last week.  Pat Gray, our Green Party candidate
who is challenging Mr. Lantos in the 12th Congressional District, said in
response to this development, "Our youth, who are our promise for the future, are
dying for a lie. Lantos' support of the occupation of Iraq and Palestine needs
to be challenged like this. We need to bring the troops home and end this
nightmare now."  The story was covered in the San Francisco Chronicle, the San
Mateo Daily Journal, KPFA-FM, and www.beyondcrhron.org.
Read the press release at our web site, www.sfgreenparty.org.  Learn more
about Pat's campaign at www.patgray.org.

San Francisco's other Green Party congressional candidate Terry Baum will
finally get her day in court!  On June 15, Superior Court presiding judge Ronald
E. Quidachay is scheduled to hear the case at 9:30 AM in Room 302 at the Hall
of Justice.  Read the press release on her web site, www.terrybaum.com.

Proposals on how the San Francisco Green Party should change:
1) endorsement process
2) process for creating an agenda and/or
3) operations of the Campaigns and Issues Working Group
are due by 5 PM, Friday June 4.  Email proposals to kimberleyknox at hotmail.com.

EVENTS:
June 3-8
Reclaim the Commons!  San Francisco Biotech and G8 Mobilization
Come and take part in the many educational forums and protest opportunities
related to the genetic modification of crops and a range of other trade issues.
 Activities will take place at various locations across San Francisco.  For a
calendar of events, visit http://www.reclaimthecommons.net/calendar.php

Friday, June 4
Matt Gonzalez will be hosting his monthly art opening/reception from 5 - 8 PM
at his San Francisco City Hall office, Room 282.  This month's art opening
will present works by local artist Jose Lerma.
We are wishing Matt Gonzalez a happy and joyous birthday, as he celebrates
his 39th on this day.

Monday, June 7
Campaigns and Issues Group will meet at 7 PM to discuss:
-early endorsement of Green Party candidates in D-5, D-9
-Community College Board and School Board
-recommendation on whether the SFGP should endorse the initiative to allow
non-residents vote in school board elections
-questionnaires for Community College and School Board
-suggested schedule for forums for the endorsement process
-recommendation on whether the SFGP will endorse the recall for District 10
The Campaigns and Issues Working Group is also looking for nominations for
co-chairs. The meeting will be held at the SFGP office at 1028 Howard Street,
between 6th and 7th Streets in San Francisco.

Monday, June 7
Because We're Worth It! Campaign for Safe Cosmetics
This is a national campaign that is working to eliminate carcinogens,
mutagens, and reproductive toxicants from cosmetics and personal care products. In
February 2003, the European Union passed a new law called the Cosmetics
Directive 76/768/EEC that prohibits the use of known or suspected carcinogens,
mutagens and reproductive toxins (a.k.a. CMRs) from cosmetics. By September 2004,
cosmetics sold in European Union countries must be free of these CMR chemicals,
including two phthalates, DEHP and DBP. The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics is
asking cosmetics companies to make these safer products available in all the
markets worldwide where they sell their products.
The Breast Cancer Fund is hosting this event, which will take place from 6:00
- 8:30 PM at The Women's Building, located at 3543 18th Street in San
Francisco.
For more information on the campaign, visit www.safecosmetics.org. If you
have any questions or would like more information, please visit our web site at
www.breastcancerfund.org/events.htm or email lori at breastcancerfund.org/.
This event has been endorsed by the Feminist Issues Group (FIG) of the San
Francisco Green Party.

Friday, June 11th
Meet Lavender Green Candidates and Help Us Honor Harvey Milk
The San Francisco Lavender Greens invite you to a FABULOUS house party and
fundraiser for the memorial to Harvey Milk at City Hall! Enjoy good food and
drink & great entertainment--and meet some of the Lavender Greens who are running
for office this November.
Featured speakers include Terry Baum, candidate for U.S. Congress; and
incumbent School Board member Mark Sanchez, currently running for re-election. Other
speakers and entertainers TBA.
Location: 39 Hartford Street, between 17th and 18th. Time: 8 PM - midnight.
Suggested donation: $10, no one turned away for lack of funds. For more
information, contact Michael Alterman at 415-522-1075 or alterman at speakeasy.net.

Saturday, June 12
Join Matt Gonzalez and the Green Party for a party at the 848 Community
Space, located at 848 Divisadero Street near Fulton in San Francisco. (For MUNI
riders, take either the 24 Divisadero or the 5 Fulton bus lines.)  The party will
be held from 8 - 11:30 PM, and will include food, wine, music, beer and fun,
with a $5 suggested donation at the door, but no one turned away for lack of
funds.
Matt will discuss his latest perspective, "The American City: A Tool for
Progressive Change in the 21st Century", which will be featured at a future
Housing and Land Use seminar workshop.  Dave Snyder will give a short talk about the
relationship of land use and bicycling.  DJ's mx:d (Tranquility Base, 26 Mix)
and Paul Platt spin the tunes, and we hope to have a few other surprises.
If you'd like to volunteer to work on the party, contact Tanja Pink at
tpink at gmx.net.

Thanks to all of our members for your continued support!

Warm Regards,
Erika McDonald
To have an item included in this newsletter, send email to erikasf at aol.com.
No attachments please.