[SFGP] San Francisco Green Party Weekly

ErikaSF at aol.com ErikaSF at aol.com
Sat Jun 26 12:40:49 PDT 2004

Hello Fellow Greens,

Be sure to join us at Pride this weekend!  Please see events below for a
slight change in location for the Green Party contingent at the Parade on Sunday.

In this update:
1. News
2. Events

NEWS:
Cobb and Camejo Debate
Potential Green Party presidential nominee David Cobb and Ralph Nader's
running mate Peter Camejo participated in a debate over Green strategy in the 2004
elections on Democracy Now. You can find a link to the debate here:

The Green Party National Convention has been getting some attention, with
stories on CNN and other news stations.  Ralph Nader's pick of Peter Camejo as a
running mate also got lots of coverage, with mentions on the NBC Nightly News,
the ABC's World News Tonight, and The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.

Check out Beyondchron.org for some great feature stories on local Green Party
candidates Renee Saucedo and Lisa Feldstein.

EVENTS:
Saturday, June 26
Join Green Party Congressional candidate Terry Baum at the DYKE MARCH!  There
will be a Baum for Congress contingent, and all women are welcome to join us
in Dolores Park for the rally and the march. We'll have a table at 19th Street
and Dolores, starting at 3 PM.  We'll march to the Castro at 7 PM, where
there'll be a big street party. Please contact Joyce Umamoto at  nohid at mac.com or
Terry at terry at terrybaum.com for more information.
The Terry Baum campaign also needs volunteers to help with phonebanking in
the evenings from 6 - 9 PM.  We could really use your help at this point if just
for one evening.  Contact Mark Barnes mark at terrybaum.com for more information.

Saturday, June 26
Watch the Green Party National Convention on C-Span!
The Saturday night Super Rally will be aired on C-Span channel 23 beginning
at 5:30 PM local time.  For the latest convention news, visit
http://gp.org/convention/.

Saturday and Sunday, June 26 & 27
LGBT Pride Weekend
Our location in the Parade line-up has changed slightly. We are now
contingent #158.  We will meet in
area "L", on Beale Street between Folsom and Bryant. We will still gather on
Sunday at 11:00am, and begin marching sometime between 11:30 and 1:00.
If you are late, and you can't find us on Beale Street, the best bet is to
wait at the corner of Market and Main, and ask a blue-shirted safety monitor to
let you into the parade route as we pass (giving them our contingent number
will help). There is also an accessibility tent at Market and Main, for those
who need a comfortable place to wait for the parade to start.
For those who haven't done this before, keep in mind that we will be standing
or marching for several hours in whatever weather San Francisco throws at us
that day. It's a good idea to bring a hat, sunscreen, layers of clothing,
water and a snack.
Our booth will still be located on Larkin between Fulton and McAllister,
across from the Asian Art Museum. We still need a couple more booth volunteers for
both Saturday and Sunday. Please contact Mark Barnes at mbarn2002 at yahoo.com
if you can help.

Monday, June 28
Help Renee Saucedo gather signatures at Fahrenheit 9/11 House Parties!
House Parties for Fahrenheit 9/11 "Virtual Town Meeting" with Michael Moore
are being held all over San Francisco (and the nation) at 7 PM.  Green Party
candidate for Supervisor in District 9 Renee Saucedo is organizing volunteers to
get signatures for her at these events. Stop by Renee's campaign office and
pick up the beautiful new window signs, plus flyers and petitions at 522
Valencia.  Send e-mail to boricuavv at peoplepc.com for more information. There are
more than 200 people registered for this event at Valencia Street Books!  Please
be there by 6:30 if you want to talk to folks on their way in.  There are lots
of other house parties in District 9 as well.  Volunteers can talk to people
on their way in, or attend the house party and respectfully ask for time to
speak about Renee's candidacy and pass around the petition.

Wednesday, June 30
Strategy session with Matt Gonzalez will be held from 6:30 - 7:30 PM at the
SFGP office. He will talk about various topics, including the 2004 presidential
race.

Wednesday, June 30th
Come help launch a broad coalition of labor, community groups, churches,
elected officials, citizens and immigrants to pass the Immigrant Voting Rights
initiative in the November 2004 election.  The meeting will be held from
5:30-7:30 PM at the Instituto Familiar de La Raza, located at 2919 Mission Street @
26th Street.  Introduced by Board of Supervisors President Matt Gonzalez -- and
supported at this time by Supervisors Ammiano, Daly, Maxwell, McGoldrick, and
Sandoval -- the measure will extend the right to vote in school board
elections to all parents with children in San Francisco public schools, regardless of
citizenship. The initiative will empower the parents of one-third of our
children in public schools to have a saying as how their children are educated..
For more information, or if you cannot attend the meeting but want to receive
future information about this initiative campaign, please contact David Chiu at
(415) 793-5462 or david.chiu at grassroots.com or Carlos Petroni at (415)
452-9992 or alternative at sbcglobal.net.

Thursday, July 1
Meet & Greet with Ross Mirkarimi, Green candidate for District 5 Supervisor
Come and enjoy delicious Ethiopian buffet, good music, and politics made fun!
 The event is being held from 7 - 10 PM at Club Waziema: 543 Divisadero
between Hayes and Fell (accessible from MUNI lines 6, 7, 66, 71, 24, and 21).  The
party is free. Donations are welcome.
Speakers include: Sharen Hewitt, Coalition for an African American Agenda*;
Willie Ratcliff, Publisher, Bay View newspaper; Banfsheh Akhlagi, civil rights
attorney; Nicole Derse, Former Director, SF Youth Commission;
Hallie Montoya-Tansey, League of Pissed Off Voters*; and more!  * affiliation
for ID purposes only.

July 23, 24, and 25
The Annual Northern California Green Campout
All Greens are invited to join us for our annual social gathering in the Sly
Park Recreation Area, Pollock Pines, California (up hwy 50 in El Dorado
County).  You can join us for all three days or any portion thereof. No reservations
needed.  Arrive at main gate, and tell them you're with the Green Party at
Dogwood camp.  This is a large campsite at the back of a large lake (9.5 miles
around).  The campsite is in a tall pine forest at 4000 feet elevation, and is
bordered on the back by only the El Dorado National Forest.
Activities include swimming, hiking, boating/canoeing-BYO boat or canoe, and
a voluntary fireside joke-fest.
Sound like fun?  For more information, send a request to Erikasf at aol.com with
"Green Campout" in the subject line, and you will be sent the full detailed
announcement.

Thanks to all of our members for your continued support!

Warm Regards,
Erika McDonald
To have an item included in this newsletter, send email to erikasf at aol.com.
No attachments please.