[SFGP] San Francisco Green Party Weekly

ErikaSF at aol.com ErikaSF at aol.com
Fri May 28 00:50:28 PDT 2004

Hello Fellow Greens,

Congratulations to incumbent school board member Mark Sanchez, who was
endorsed by consensus at our last General Membership Meeting. Mark is up for
re-election this November.  To see the news release we sent out about his
endorsement, go to www.sfgreenparty.org. The story was picked up by
www.sanfranciscosentinel.com.

Congratulations to community activist Christina Olague, who was elected at
our last General Membership Meeting to be our new representative to the Green
Party of California's Coordinating Committee.  This position has a term of 2
years.  John-Marc Chandonia will continue serving as our alternative
representative.

Congratulations to our own SFGP activist Dan Strickland, who won a logo
design contest for the Green Party of the United States.  See the winning logos at
http://www.gp.org/logo_new.html.

In this update:
1. Green Party Congressional Candidates Need Your Help!
2. News
3. Events

GREEN PARTY CONGRESSIONAL CANDIDATES NEED YOUR HELP!
We are fortunate to have two very strong female candidates running for
Congress in San Francisco this year. Both are waging serious campaigns. Help keep
the momentum going by donating now! No amount is too small.
Terry Baum is a pioneer lesbian playwright who is running in the 8th
Congressional District, where House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi currently holds the
seat. Visit www.terrybaum.com to contribute.

Pat Gray is a retired public school teacher who is running in the 12th
Congressional District, where pro-war incumbent Democrat Tom Lantos currently holds
the seat. Visit www.patgray.org to contribute.
Donate NOW!

NEWS:
Matt Gonzalez has introduced a ballot initiative on non-citizen voting in
school board elections.  Read about it at:
http://www.sfexaminer.com/article/index.cfm/i/051804n_schoolboard

Matt's biodiesel legislation has been approved by San Francisco's Board of
Supervisors.
See earlier article at:
http://www.sfexaminer.com/article/index.cfm/i/042004n_muni

Visit www.MeshSF.com for more articles about Matt.

EVENTS:
Saturday, June 5
Mobilization to Bring the Troops Home NOW!
Gather at 11 AM at UN Plaza.

Monday, June 7
Campaigns and Issues Group will meet at 7 PM to discuss:
-early endorsement of Green Party candidates in D-5, D-9
-Community College Board and School Board
-recommendation on whether the SFGP should endorse the initiative to allow
non-residents vote in school board elections
-questionnaires for Community College and School Board
-suggested schedule for forums for the endorsement process
-recommendation on whether the SFGP will endorse the recall for District 10

The Campaigns and Issues Working Group is also looking for nominations for
co-chairs.  The meeting will be held at the SFGP office at 1028 Howard Street,
between 6th and 7th Streets in San Francisco.

Monday, June 7
Because We're Worth It! Campaign for Safe Cosmetics
This is a national campaign that is working to eliminate carcinogens,
mutagens, and reproductive toxicants from cosmetics and personal care products. In
February 2003, the European Union passed a new law called the Cosmetics
Directive 76/768/EEC that prohibits the use of known or suspected carcinogens,
mutagens and reproductive toxins (a.k.a. CMRs) from cosmetics. By September 2004,
cosmetics sold in European Union countries must be free of these CMR chemicals,
including two phthalates, DEHP and DBP. The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics is
asking cosmetics companies to make these safer products available in all the
markets worldwide where they sell their products.
The Breast Cancer Fund is hosting this event, which will take place from 6:00
- 8:30 PM at The Women's Building, located at 3543 18th Street in San
Francisco.
For more information on the campaign, visit www.safecosmetics.org. If you
have any questions or would like more information, please visit our web site at
www.breastcancerfund.org/events.htm or email lori at breastcancerfund.org/.
This event has been endorsed by the Feminist Issues Group (FIG) of the San
Francisco Green Party.

Friday, June 11th
Meet Lavender Green Candidates and Help Us Honor Harvey Milk
The San Francisco Lavender Greens invite you to a FABULOUS house party and
fundraiser for the memorial to Harvey Milk at City Hall! Enjoy good food and
drink & great entertainment--and meet some of the Lavender Greens who are running
for office this November.
Featured speakers include Terry Baum, candidate for U.S. Congress; and
incumbent School Board member Mark Sanchez, currently running for re-election. Other
speakers and entertainers TBA.
Location: 39 Hartford Street, between 17th and 18th. Time: 8 PM - midnight.
Suggested donation: $10, no one turned away for lack of funds. For more
information, contact Michael Alterman at 415-522-1075 or alterman at speakeasy.net.

Saturday, June 12
Join Matt Gonzalez and the Green Party Housing and Land Use Working Group for
a party at the 848 Community Space, located at 848 Divisadero Street near
Fulton in San Francisco. (For MUNI riders, take either the 24 Divisadero or the 5
Fulton bus lines.)
The party will be from 8pm to 11:30 PM. There will be a $5 suggested donation
at the door, with no one turned away for lack of funds.
Organizers are looking for artwork or photos to display for the party that
reflect the diversity and complexity of San Francisco's residents or our unique
landscapes.
As part of the night's festivities, you can also help us create your dream
housing and land use seminar panel. Matt told us he'd like to participate again
with a future seminar, but we need your help with the suggested topic and
panelists. Send your suggestions to Dave Wilbur at drwsf at sbcglobal.net.
If you'd like to volunteer to work on the party or have any party pleasing
ideas, contact Tanja Pink at tpink at gmx.net.

Thanks to all of our members for your continued support!

Warm Regards,
Erika McDonald
To have an item included in this newsletter, send email to erikasf at aol.com.
No attachments please.