[SFGP] SF Green Party Weekly

announce at sfgreens.org announce at sfgreens.org
Thu Aug 11 17:40:05 PDT 2005

SFGP WEEKLY
For The Week of 8/11/05 - 8/18/05
This Week:
News:
8/3: Greens Meet In Tulsa For The Party’s Annual National Meeting
8/4: CAFTA Will Cause Widespread Harm to Workers in the U.S. & Central
America
8/6: Local Green Writer/Activist Publishes Book
8/8: Mirkarimi wants more officers walking the streets
8/9: Hundreds Turn Out To Protest Nuclear Weapons In Livermore
8/10: Greens Support Cindy Sheehan's Protest Vigil in Crawford, TX.
Events:
- 8/13: Green Party Northern Cal. Strategy Session
- 8/16: Stop Comcast Action Item
- 8/17: SFGP Endorsement Meeting
Announcements:
- Joke of the Week
- Become A Sustainer!
News
8/3: Greens Meet In Tulsa For The Party’s Annual National Meeting
By Deborah Benjamin
Some myths about the so-called “red state” of Oklahoma may have been
dispelled when the Green Party held its annual national meeting in Tulsa.
Delegates from around the nation converged on the University of Tulsa campus
for a host of seminars and issue sessions, as well as discussions on the
Green Party's potential presidential candidate.
And current Oklahoma Green Party Co-chair Rachel Jackson, who also
coordinated the meeting, came prepared with a civics lesson about the Sooner
State.
“In our welcome letter that I wrote up, I mentioned the fact that when
Oklahoma became a state, The Nation (the magazine) wrote a huge article on
how Oklahoma’s constitution was an example of progressive ideology in action
and called it the most progressive constitution in the country,” Jackson
said.
Read more at: http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1361
8/4: CAFTA Will Cause Widespread Harm to Workers in the U.S. & Central
America
Green Party of the United States

Citing CAFTA's NAFTA-like provisions, Greens warn of damage from water
privatization, lost jobs and depressed wages, and blocked access to
medicine.

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Green Party leaders called the House's recent passage of
the Dominican Republic-Central America Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA) a
disaster for working people in the U.S., Central America, and the Dominican
Republic and the environmental health and safety in the signatory nations.
"CAFTA will extend NAFTA's job loss, workers' rights abuses, and
environmental damage throughout Central America," said Nan Garrett, Georgia
Green and Spokesperson for the National Women's Caucus of the Green Party.
"It will prohibit governments in the region from ensuring that foreign
investment serves national development goals. Instead, it'll enable further
schemes for the profit of U.S.-based corporations."
CAFTA encourages nations to privatize and deregulate services such as
education, health care, postal service, construction, transportation, and
the provision of water.
Read more at: http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1362
8/6: Local Green Writer/Activist Publishes Book
SF Green activist, jazz singer and writer judy b. has just published her
first book of short stories, "Stories for Airports". SF Green poster boy and
arts-lover Matt Gonzalez recently interviewed judy for his Art & Politics
series at Cafe Bazaar (8/1/05)
A professional writer and editor and amateur jazz musician, judy b. is also
active in civic issues. Read more at http://onzeproductions.com

CRITICS RAVE ABOUT JUDY B'S JAZZY DEBUT BOOK--"STORIES FOR AIRPORTS"!
"judy b. writes with great intelligence, urbane wit and jazzy charm. Her
stories are unpredictable, often rather sexy, her characters intriguing.  My
current favorite from her new collection is 'Reasons.' Very clever, funny
riff on therapy. It would be quite at home in the pages of the Atlantic or
the New Yorker. In fact, why the hell haven't they published it yet?"
                --S.M. Peters, writer, activist, cohort
8/8: Mirkarimi wants more officers walking the streets
By Jo Stanley
Staff Writer

One city supervisor wants officials to be held more accountable for lowering
the crime rate in the Western Addition neighborhood, where a spike in
violent crime recently claimed three lives.
Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi, who represents the district containing the
Western Addition, wants community policing — which has been hailed by
politicians and public safety officials as one of the solutions — to move
beyond rhetoric.
"We have yet to have a comprehensive strategy," said Mirkarimi at the start
of an hours-long hearing before the Government Audit and Oversight
Committee. He said he hears from his constituents in the neighborhood that
they're "yearning" to see more officers walking the streets and for greater
efforts to cut down on repeat offenses.
Read more at:
http://www.sfexaminer.com/articles/2005/08/09/news/20050809_ne03_crimewave.t
8/9: Hundreds Turn Out To Protest Nuclear Weapons In Livermore
By: Paul Burgarino, STAFF WRITER
Source: San Mateo County Times

LIVERMORE — Hundreds of protesters took part in a rally and processions
outside of the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Saturday to protest
the use of nuclear weapons.
The Livermore event was one of four nationally coordinated major rallies at
active nuclear weapon sites on the 60th anniversary of the American bombings
of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
Other protest sites were in Las Vegas, near the Nevada Test Site; Y-12
Production Plant in Oak Ridge, Tenn.; and Los Alamos Lab in New Mexico.
At the site many consider the brain of the nuclear weapons complex in the
United States, the Seeds of Change: No Nukes! No Wars! rally began with a
pot-luck family picnic, where organizers used sharing and coming together to
show their aspirations for a nuclear-free world.
It is important for us to be here to keep the memories of the horror of
Hiroshima alive, said Jeffrey Schurtleff of the San Mateo County Green
Party. There is a need for activism. If everyone just says no and does not
act, then nothing happens.

Read more at: http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1363
8/10: Greens Support Cindy Sheehan's Protest Vigil in Crawford, TX
Contacts:
Scott McLarty, Media Coordinator, 202-518-5624, mclarty at greens.org

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The Peace Action Committee of theGreen Party of the
United States (GPAX) has issued astatement of  support for Cindy Sheehan,
co-founder ofGold Star Families For Peace,  in her vigil near the vacation
home of President George W. Bush inCrawford, Texas. The text of the
statement follows below.
Ms. Sheehan is the mother of Casey Sheehan, who  was killed in combat in
Sadr City in 2004, a few days after arriving  in Iraq. Over 1,800 U.S.
troops and tens of thousands of Iraqi  civilians have been killed in the
U.S. invasion and occupation.  Greens called Ms. Sheehan's protest a unique
challenge to all Americans to speak out against the Bush Administration's
betrayal of the trust of the American people and  reckless disregard for
American and Iraqi lives.
"The Bush Administration betrayed the trust  of the American people,
especially those serving in the armed forces  in Iraq, when it launched a
war based on fraudulent premises: WMDs  that didn't exist, forged evidence
of nuclear weapons deals, deceptive  claims that Saddam Hussein colluded
with al-Qaeda," said Jody Grage Haug, Peace Action Committee member and
co-chair of the Green  Party of the United States. "We must also hold
Democrats  responsible, since many of
them supported the war and who joined with Republicans in surrendering
Congress's constitutional
power to declare  war to the White House in October,2002."

Text of the GPAX statement:

The Peace Action Committee of the Green Party of  the
United States applauds and supports the brave protest
vigil taking  place at the vacation home of President
George W. Bush in Crawford,  Texas by Cindy Sheehan,
mother of Casey Sheehan who was killed in  combat on
4/4/04 in Sadr City five days after arriving in Iraq.
We insist that President Bush meet with Ms. Sheehan
and other individuals  who have firsthand experienced
the pain of a profound loss resulting  from the
current invasion and occupation of Iraq. Our leaders
should  not hide from the reality of these grave
losses resulting from a war  based on unsubstantiated
pretenses. The Peace Action Committee agrees  with
Cindy's quote: "Bring Our Troops Home IMMEDIATELY."

MORE INFORMATION
Green Party of the United States
http://www.gp.org
1700 Connecticut Avenue NW, Suite 404
Washington, DC 20009.
202-319-7191, 866-41GREEN
Fax 202-319-7193
*************************************
Events
*************************************
Green Party Northern Cal. Strategy Session
Saturday, August 13th
10:00am-3:30pm
SF Green Party offices, 1028 A Howard Street, between 6th and 7th.

Join Green Party activists from northern California as we discuss strategies
for the 2006 election cycle. Session will include discussions on: local
races (Supervisors, City Council, School Board, etc.), Assembly, State
Senate, US Congress, US Senate and statewide constitutional offices
(Governor, Lt. Governor, Secretary of State, Attorney General, Controller,
Treasurer).
Lunch will be provided, donations are requested but not required. for more
info call: 415-386-5464.
Stop Comcast Action Item
Tuesday, August 16th
Ongoing

Green Supervisor Ross Mirkirimi talks about why the Comcast deal should be
improved on KPFA's Morning Show, and it looks like it wont be unless we all
put pressure on the Board of Supervisors.
Topic starts about 30 min into show:
http://www.kpfa.org/archives/archives.php?id=24
Community organizations are opposed to the settlement and 4-year contract
extension, which would leave SF with 4 more years of a bad 40 year-old
agreement in exchange for a measly $3.5 million dollars from Comcast. To
learn more about what's wrong with the settlement go to:
http://www.media-alliance.org/article.php?story=20050617130532428
ACT NOW -- CALL YOUR SUPERVISOR
Especially Sup. Maxwell, a swing vote Ask them to VOTE AGAINST the Comcast
settlement & franchise extension. It is a bad deal for San Francisco. Go
back to the negotiating table for a bette deal.
If the City signs this deal now:
*** Will there be sufficient funds for public, educational, and government
access operations? No.
*** Will there be any enforceable costumer service standards? No.
*** Will Comcast workers be protected? No.
*** Are any digital channels guaranteed after TV digital conversion? No.
Ask Supervisors to continue negotiating for a better agreement:  Comcast can
afford it, plus a one year extension is standard practice.  We want to see a
public report of the Community Needs Assessment meetings the City held on
the cable franchise before a vote takes place.
With questions or suggestions, please call Sydney Levy at Media Alliance:
(510) 832-9000 x303
SFGP Endorsement Meeting
Wednesday, August 17th
7:30pm-9:30pm
1028A Howard St. (SFGP Office)

This is the first major endorsement meeting for the SF Green Party. We will
consider remaining state initiatives, local measures, Green candidates.
Active members (members of certified working groups) may vote. Non active
Greens may seek active membership at the beginning of the meeting by
approval of the General Membership.

Here is the endorsement schedule Aug GM Aug 17
State Props 78, 79- consent calendar
State Prop 80 (30 min discussion)
Local initiatives: Firehouse- consent calendar or 10 min max discussion
Candidates: Green candidate endorsements
Poll on endorsement meetings (one four hour or two two hour meetings) 10 min
Sept. GM Sept 21
Local initiatives:
GG Park, MLK Drive
Resurface Bond,
Gun Ban,
Healthcare tax
Candidates: Ranked Choice for Treasurer, City Attorney, Assessor

Announcements:
**********************
Joke of the Week
One Liners ...

What's the difference between George W. Bush and the New York Giants?
Nobody thinks the Giants won.

What major goal does George W. Bush still dream of accomplishing?
Being elected president.

How do you tell the first Bush administration from the second Bush
administration?
This time the stupid one's in charge.

What's the difference between George W. Bush and Koko, the gorilla who
understands approximately 2,000 words of spoken English?
Nobody thinks Koko is president.

What's the difference between George W. Bush and Mussolini?
Mussolini was elected.

What do you call Bush voters who aren't millionaires?
Suckers.
Become a Green Party Sustainer!

As you may know, the SFGP is supported by our wonderful sustaining donors --
175 and growing.  In the next 12 months we hope to double that figure, and
you can help us achieve our goal by signing up to make a regular
contribution to the Green Party.

Our sustainer program nearly pays all of our basic monthly operating
expenses, including rent and utilities on the office, and drastically
reduces the amount of work needed to raise money.  Our sustainers free us up
to do what we're really here for - to pursue Green values through the
democratic system. Sustainers also ensure that we are able to keep our
office, which has hosted numerous campaigns' headquarters including the
successful Prop A, Instant Runoff Voting initiative.

Becoming a Green Party sustainer is easy, fun, and secure!

Online: http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html

Phone: 415-701-7090