[SFGP] SF Green Party Weekly

announce at sfgreens.org announce at sfgreens.org
Fri Dec 9 23:18:18 PST 2005

SF GREEN PARTY WEEKLY 12/10/05 - 12/17/05

NEWS:
- 12/2: For a Former Panther, Solidarity After the Storm
- 12/8: Greens Join UN Climate Summit Delegates in Montreal, Demand
Action on Global Warming Crisis

EVENTS:
- 12/10-12/12 Save Stan "Tookie" Williams Events
- 12/10: Living Wage Celebration, Celebracion de Sueldos Justos
- 12/10: CA Green Party General Assembly Meeting at UC Davis
- 12/14: SF Green Party General Membership/ Holiday Party
- 12/15: Protest PG & E: No More Broken Promises!
- 12/17: Health Care For All Meeting
- 12/19: Hearing and Party for Public Financing Campaign
-   1/6: Animal Advocacy Working Group
-  1/26: SAVE THE DATE: Annual SF Green Party Event, 1/26, Studio Z

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:
- Public Financing for the Mayor's Race: We Need Your Help!
- How to Run For the SF Green Party County Council
- Become a Green Party Sustainer!

JOKE OF THE WEEK:
- Schwarzenegger Street

NEWS:

12/2 For a Former Panther, Solidarity After the Storm

Malik Rahim, former Panther, Green Party candidate for City Council in
2002, and head of Common Ground, a volunteer-based grassroots
organization that is trying to rebuild New Orleans, ponders strategies
in establishing justice for the state and federal authorities' neglect
of Katrina victims.

See http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1413

---------

12/8: Greens join UN Climate Summit Delegates in Montreal, Demand
Action on Global Warming Crisis

SAN FRANCISCO (December 7, 2005) – This week, the Green Party of
California joined more than 10,000 delegates from 189 nations at the
United Nations Climate Summit in Montreal, in demanding immediate
action on the global warming crisis.

Rallies were held in cities around the world. Petitioners have been
urging Congress to ratify the Kyoto Protocol, and fund for alternative
energy, forest  protection, gas mileage standards, and elimination of
subsidies for polluting industries.

All these events follow recent scientific reports on the serious
impacts of global warming, including the fast melting of the Greenland
ice caps and man-made hothouse gasses in earth's atmosphere.

The Greens also suggested the Iraq War is adding to the problem.

Todd Chretien, the co-author of the "College Not Combat" initiative on
the Nov. 8 ballot, said that the war in Iraq is costing the U.S. not
only in terms of lives lost, but also monies necessary to alleviate
global warming. He said the money spent on the war in Iraq could not
only be spent on putting $10,000 worth of solar panels on 50 million
homes and reduce dependence on oil, but create jobs for the people
installing them.

Todd Chretien is considering a run for U.S. Senate on the Green Party
ticket against Rep. Dianne Feinstein, who has been no friend to
environmentalists.

==============================

EVENTS:

12/10-12/12 Save Stan "Tookie" Williams Events

WHEN AND WHERE:
- DECEMBER 10
Berkeley, Calif.
Screening of "Redemption" and Discussion At 6 pm at Long Haul, 3124
Shattuck (across the street from La Pena).

- DECEMBER 11
San Francisco
Sister Helen Prejean Speaks One of the world's best-known opponents of
the death penalty speaks out at an ACLU event. At 2 pm at the San
Francisco Marriott Hotel, 55 Fourth Street at Mission. Tickets are $25
per person, $10 for students and low income, $250 table sponsor.

- DECEMBER 12
San Francisco to San Quentin
Walk for Abolition The Walk For Abolition begins at the Palace of
Legion of Honor in San Francisco at 7 am and ends at the gates of San
Quentin Prison around 6 pm. For information, contact Rev. Lyle Grosjean
at 510-895-8203 or email l.grosjean at sbcglobal.net.

DETAILS:
Save Tookie Williams!
Stan "Tookie" Williams' execution is scheduled for 12:01 on Tuesday,
Dec. 13, unless CA Governor Arnold Scwhartzenegger grants him clemency
between now and midnight, Monday Dec. 12. Please take a moment to
contact the Governor and urge him to spare Tookie's life: CALL:
916-445-2481
EMAIL: http://www.govmail.ca.gov

Call (773) 955-4841 for more information.

---------

12/10:  Living Wage Celebration, Celebracion de Sueldos Justos

WHEN:
Saturday, December 10
6:00 PM to 10:00PM

WHERE:
522 Valencia St. (between 16th and 17th Streets)

DETAILS:
You are invited to the
Ud. esta invitado a la

Living Wage Celebration
Celebracion de Sueldos Justos

Let' s celebrate, reunite and continue the fight!
Celebremos, unamonos y continuemos luchando.

Music! Spoken Word! Art Exhibits! Dance! Food! Raffle!

---------

12/10: CA Green Party General Assembly Meeting at UC Davis

WHEN:
Saturday, December 10 to Sunday, December 11
8:00 AM to 5:00PM

WHERE:
UC Davis

DETAILS:
The General Assembly of the Green Party of California is where
delegates from the county chapters make decisions for the party. There
are also important committee meetings.

Come meet Green Party members from across the state, participate in
discussions, and learn about the workings of the state party. Meetings
will be held all during the day starting at 8 am.

For more info, go to: http://www.cagreens.org/plenary/ Hosted by UC
Davis and Yolo County Green Parties

---------

12/14: SF Green Party General Membership/ Holiday Party

WHEN:
Wednesday, December 14
7:30PM-9:30PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St.
and 7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
Join us for a very short GM meeting followed by a pot luck holiday get
together.

---------

12/15: Protest PG & E: No More Broken Promises!

WHEN:
Thursday, December 15
4:30PM-6:30PM

WHERE:
77 Beale Street @ Market (near Embarcadero BART)

DETAILS:
Protest the City of San Francisco and PG&E for failing to keep their
promise to close the toxic Bayview/Hunters Point power plant, which
dumps pollutants like arsenic and chlorine into the Bay. Insist that
they shut it down by March 2006, the next proposed closure date.

---------

12/17: Health Care For All Meeting Presentation and Potluck Holiday
Meeting

WHEN:
Saturday, December 17
3:00

WHERE:
the home of Drs. Krista Farey and Vishu Lingappa at 626 Pacheco.

DETAILS:
You are invited to our December 17 potluck health care meeting in San
Francisco. Besides food, drink, and merriment, the meeting will feature
a presentation by Matt Tsou on HR 676, the US National Health Insurance
Act. Our meeting will start at 3pm at the home of Drs. Krista Farey and
Vishu Lingappa at 626 Pacheco.

Last summer, Matt Tsou, a member of Health Care for All, interned for
the sponsor of HR 676, John Conyers, Jr. Matt prepared a Power Point
presentation on 676 for Congressman Conyers, which he will present on
Dec 17.  The national movement for universal health care with single
payer legislation is gaining momentum. This is important for our
California campaign for SB 840, the California Health Insurance
Reliability Act. I hope to see you December 17. Don Bechler Chair -
Health Care for All - San Francisco chapter Chair - California
Universal Health Care Organizing Project 415-695-7891

---------

12/19: Hearing and Party for Public Campaign Financing!

WHEN:
Monday, December 19
5:30 pm hearing, followed by celebration

WHERE:
City Hall Room #408 for the hearing
Soluna Cafe on McAllister (Across from Asian Art Museum) for the
celebration

Please join us! You can help San Francisco join the national movement
to take the pernicious influence of money out of politics and breath
new life into our democracy!

On October 25, Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi, representing a broad-based
coalition, introduced legislation that could bring public financing to
the San Francisco Mayor’s race. By publicly funding the campaigns of
candidates for public office, politicians don't need to rely on wealthy
donors to wage competitive campaigns. And that means that politicians
are freed up to make decisions in the best interests of the public,
rather than campaign contributors.

In order to ensure this critical reform, we need you in the evening of
Dec. 19! Starting at around 6pm, in room 408 of City Hall, there will
be a hearing on the legislation. We need to turn out dozens of our
supporters in order to make sure that the city knows that the public
supports this legislation.

Afterwards, we will all head over to Soluna Lounge for drinks and music
and celebration.

---------

1/6: Animal Advocacy Working Group

WHEN:
Thursday, January 6
7:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St.
and 7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
Monthly meeting of the Animal Working Group. We will discuss animal
issues in San Francisco. For more information, email Rosalind Lord at
rclord at seaserpent.com

---------

1/26: SAVE THE DATE: Annual SF Green Party Event, 1/26, Studio Z

WHEN:
Thursday, January 26
8:00PM-11:30PM

WHERE:
Z Gallery (11th and Folsom), San Francisco

DETAILS:
Join Green Party activists and friends as we celebrate 2006 in our
usual style- our annual fundraiser and party. Enjoy live music, spoken
word, theater and interesting performances. Green Party Supervisor Ross
Mirkarimi and other progressive leaders are confirmed speakers. Other
special guests TBA.

==============================

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:

Public Financing for the Mayor's Race: We Need Your Help!

On Tuesday October 25, Green Party Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi,
representing a broad-based coalition, introduced legislation that
could forever change the way politics is done in San Francisco:

With public financing, the public helps fund the campaigns of
candidates who can demonstrate a wide base of community support by
collecting a large number of small donations. In exchange candidates
agree to a strict spending cap, and to limit their private
fundraising.

The idea is to make politicians accountable only to the public, rather
than private campaign donors, and to ensure that all serious
candidates, regardless of access to money, have enough resources to
get their message out to the voters.

To make this legislation happen, please do two things:

1. Write or call the Supervisors to encourage their support (they need
hear this from as many people as possible); and
2. Ask your friends to do the same.

Sample letters and contact information for the Supervisors can be
found at http://www.voterownedelections.org/contact_supervisors.html

To learn more about the campaign visit www.voterownedelections.org or
call 415-596-5808.

---------

How to Run For the SF Green Party County Council

County Council Candidates will be elected in June of 2006. For details
on how to run, see
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/events/events-itemfromhome.gem?idx=1435

---------

Become a Green Party Sustainer!

As you may know, the SFGP is supported by our wonderful sustaining
donors -- 175 and growing.  In the next 12 months we hope to double
that figure, and you can help us achieve our goal by signing up to make
a regular contribution to the Green Party.

Our sustainer program nearly pays all of our basic monthly operating
expenses, including rent and utilities on the office, and drastically
reduces the amount of work needed to raise money.  Our sustainers free
us up to do what we're really here for - to pursue Green values through
the democratic system. Sustainers also ensure that we are able to keep
our office, which has hosted numerous campaigns' headquarters including
the successful Prop A, Instant Runoff Voting initiative.

Becoming a Green Party sustainer is easy, fun, and secure!

JOKE OF THE WEEK:

Schwarzenegger Street

Hallooo, Kah-lee-fawn-ya! Now, Phil Angelides isn't a Green, but his
site has a funny cartoon about Arnold's buddies:

http://www.arnoldsneighborhood.com