[SFGP] SF Green Party Weekly

announce at sfgreens.org announce at sfgreens.org
Sat Dec 31 13:11:32 PST 2005

SF GREEN PARTY WEEKLY 1/1/05 - 1/7/05

NEWS:
  - 12/21: SF Green Party Takes Part in Irish Press Tour
  - 12/21: Green Party Member John Rizzo Quoted in SF Bay Guardian about
the Presidio
  - 12/21: Ross Mirkarimi is Working to Make Local WiFi Public
  - 12/21: Medea Benjamin to Confront Hillary Clinton! SF Weekly
Columnist Matt Smith Reports
  - 12/22: Green Party Member Barry Hermanson Quoted on Minimum Wage
  - 12/28: WILLIE BROWN ON "PROGRESSIVE" TALK RADIO STATION?? Matt Smith
also Reports
  - 12/28: Green Party Member Kim Knox's Editorial on SFUSD Sunshine in
SF Bay Guardian
  - 12/28: Voter Owned Elections Written Up in SF Bay Guardian

EVENTS:
  -   1/5: Feminist Issues Working Group
  -   1/9: Campaigns and Issues Working Group
  -  1/10: Housing and Land Use Working Group
  -  1/19: Animal Advocacy Working Group (changed from Jan 5)
  -  1/26: SAVE THE DATE: A Green Party for Peace (see
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/events/events-itemfromhome.gem?idx=1437 for
details)

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:
  - Public Financing for the Mayor's Race: We Need Your Help!
  - Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!
  - How to Run For the SF Green Party County Council
  - Become a Green Party Sustainer!

JOKE OF THE WEEK:
  - George Bush's Year in Review by JibJab! (http://www.jibjab.com)

NEWS:

12/21: SF Green Party Takes Part in Irish Press Tour
- http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1421
Green Party members Erika McDonald and Micheas Herman meet with press
officers from Ireland and Northern Ireland to discuss how to work with
the media

---------

12/21: Green Party Member John Rizzo Quoted in SF Bay Guardian on
Presidio
- http://www.sfbg.com/40/12/news_presidio.html
Green Party Member & Sierra Club Leader John Rizzo believes that the
Presidio Trust might be trying to be a real estate company.

---------

12/21: Ross Mirkarimi is Working to Make Local WiFi Public
- http://www.sfbg.com/40/12/news_wifi.html
- http://www.sfbg.com/40/13/news_ed_wifi.html

---------

12/21:  Medea Benjamin to Confront Hillary Clinton! SF Weekly Columnist
Matt Smith Reports
- http://www.sfweekly.com/issues/2005-12-21/news/smith.html
Code Pink plans to inquire Hillary Clinton about the war in Iraq at a
San Francisco event in January

---------

12/22:  Green Party Member Barry Hermanson Quoted on Minimum Wage:
- http://www.capitolweekly.net/news/article.html?article_id=394

---------

12/28: WILLIE BROWN ON "PROGRESSIVE" TALK RADIO STATION?? Matt Smith
also Reports
- http://www.sfweekly.com/Issues/2005-12-28/news/smith.html
Willie Brown talks on Air America affliate KQKE

---------

12/28: SF Green Party member Kim Knox's Editorial on SFUSD Sunshine in
SF Bay Guardian
- http://www.sfbg.com/40/13/x_oped.html

---------

12/28: Voter Owned Elections Written Up in SF Bay Guardian:
- http://www.sfbg.com/40/13/news_cash.htmll

==============================

EVENTS:

1/5: Feminist Issues Working Group

WHEN:
Thursday, January 6
7:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St.
and 7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
Monthly meeting of the Feminist Issues Group, which strives to define
why feminism is important to Greens and to promote Green feminism in
all realms of Green Party activities and in our lives.

---------

1/9: Campaigns and Issues Working Group

WHEN:
Monday, January 9
7:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St.
and 7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
Monthly meeting of the Candidates and Campaigns Working Group, a forum
for reviewing candidates, ballot initiatives and measures and
generating recommendations for endorsement to the General Membership;
identifyng and recommending "key" campaigns and how to allocate SFGP
resources accordingly; and recruiting Green candidates to run for local
elected office.

---------

1/10: Housing and Land Use Working Group

WHEN:
Tuesday, January 10
7:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St. and
7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
This month's agenda includes a presentation by Sarah Dennis of the SF
Planning Department about a current project to
determine the nexus impact of high-end housing in San Francisco and
proposed developer mitigation fees. She'll also discuss Supervisors
Daly's and McGoldrick's proposals to make changes to the currrent
inclusionary housing ordinace.  We'll also talk about the 2006
agenda to become more active in legislation issues, and we'll
revisit proposed seminars for the upcoming year.

---------

1/5: Animal Advocacy Working Group

WHEN:
Thursday, January 19 (changed from Jan 5)
7:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St.
and 7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
Monthly meeting of the Animal Working Group. We will discuss animal
issues in San Francisco. For more information, email Rosalind Lord at
rclord at seaserpent.com

---------

1/26: SAVE THE DATE: A Green Party for Peace

WHEN:
Thursday, January 26
8:00PM until closing

WHERE:
Studio Z, 314 11th Street at Folsom, San Francisco

DETAILS:
- http://www.sfgreenparty.org/events/events-itemfromhome.gem?idx=1437

==============================

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:

Public Financing for the Mayor's Race: We Need Your Help!

On Tuesday October 25, Green Party Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi,
representing a broad-based coalition, introduced legislation that
could forever change the way politics is done in San Francisco:

With public financing, the public helps fund the campaigns of
candidates who can demonstrate a wide base of community support by
collecting a large number of small donations. In exchange candidates
agree to a strict spending cap, and to limit their private
fundraising.

The idea is to make politicians accountable only to the public, rather
than private campaign donors, and to ensure that all serious
candidates, regardless of access to money, have enough resources to
get their message out to the voters.

To make this legislation happen, please do two things:

1. Write or call the Supervisors to encourage their support (they need
hear this from as many people as possible); and
2. Ask your friends to do the same.

Sample letters and contact information for the Supervisors can be
found at http://www.voterownedelections.org/contact_supervisors.html

To learn more about the campaign visit www.voterownedelections.org or
call 415-596-5808.

---------

Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!

Two years ago, former organizers for the Matt Gonzalez for Mayor
campaign decided it was time to stop getting 'close but not close
enough' to progressive victories like public power and Matt as Mayor,
and to begin a city wide, year round, grassroots campaign that would
start helping us win such victories!

So in January 2004, the organization Our City was born. Since then we
have helped to:

- Pass the ban on old polluting diesel buses
- Pass Matt Gonzalez's anti chain store law
- Get the downtown hotel workers back on the job, and
- Get the Police and Planning Commissions put back on SF Government TV
after the City tried to pull them off.

Now we are campaigning to get rid of PG&E's monopoly on our electricity
service, and start running the City on renewable energy like solar and
wind power instead!

We have just begun hiring and training new grassroots campaigners to
help us win this fight.
No experience necessary.
Earn $280 to $400 each four day work week learning to be a strong
progressive organizer.
To apply, call Eric at 415-756-8844 from noon to 2pm any weekday, or
send an email to jobs at our-city.org

For more information, see our web site at http://our-city.org

---------

How to Run For the SF Green Party County Council

County Council Candidates will be elected in June of 2006. For details
on how to run, see
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/events/events-itemfromhome.gem?idx=1435

---------

Become a Green Party Sustainer!

As you may know, the SFGP is supported by our wonderful sustaining
donors -- 175 and growing.  In the next 12 months we hope to double
that figure, and you can help us achieve our goal by signing up to make
a regular contribution to the Green Party.

Our sustainer program nearly pays all of our basic monthly operating
expenses, including rent and utilities on the office, and drastically
reduces the amount of work needed to raise money.  Our sustainers free
us up to do what we're really here for - to pursue Green values through
the democratic system. Sustainers also ensure that we are able to keep
our office, which has hosted numerous campaigns' headquarters including
the successful Prop A, Instant Runoff Voting initiative.

Becoming a Green Party sustainer is easy, fun, and secure!

For more information, see
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html