[SFGP] San Francisco Green Party Weekly

ErikaSF at aol.com ErikaSF at aol.com
Fri Jan 28 18:12:33 PST 2005

Hello Fellow Greens,

Thank you to everyone who came out to fill our latest San Francisco Green
Party events to full capacity!  Our evening last Saturday at the Canvas Gallery
was entertaining and informative.  Wednesday night’s screening and discussion
about Peak Oil and the End of Suburbia at the Off-Market Theater was so packed,
organizers had to turn people away due to fire code regulations.  We will
schedule a repeat of the latter event as soon as possible.

In this update:
News
Events
NEWS:
Justice for Sheila DeToy Hearing Postponed
A hearing that was scheduled for Friday, January 28 for San Francisco police
officer Gregory Breslin has been postponed.  The hearing is regarding Breslin’
s 1998 shooting of 17-year-old Sheila DeToy.  A new hearing has been
tentatively scheduled for February 18.  CASE # CPF04-504029 For more information call
Bay Area Police Watch at 510-428-3939.

Former Green Party Presidential Candidate David Cobb was interviewed by Davey
D on KPFA-FM earlier this week.
http://www.kpfa.org/archives/archives.php?id=14#6272

Former candidate for District 8 Supervisor, Eileen Hansen, is headed for the
San Francisco Ethics Commission.  This is thanks to Green Party member Ross
Mirkarimi and his fellow Supervisor Sophie Maxwell, who provided the two votes
necessary at the Rules Committee that will send Hansen's name to the full board
as the sole recommendation of the Board of Supervisors to serve a 6 year term
on the Ethics Commission.  If Eileen is confirmed by the full board next
week, she will give Green Commissioner Joe Lynn a second vote to put matters on
the agenda to forward an aggressive program of campaign finance reform and open
government and add a progressive lesbian's voice to the mix.  Eileen is a
Democrat who was the San Francisco Green Party’s (SFGP) endorsed candidate for
District 8 in both 2000 and 2002.  She narrowly lost both races - the first to
Mark Leno, and the second to Bevan Dufty.
http://www.sfbg.com/39/17/news_ed_hansen.html
http://www.sfexaminer.com/article/index.cfm/i/012705n_ethicscomm

Supervisors Chris Daly and Jake McGoldrick exchanged harsh words during
Tuesday’s board meeting.  And just days before they were sharing a panel at an SFGP
event!
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/01/26/BAG0DB00F41.DTL

Democrats are again plagued by corruption!  With his arm elbow deep in the
cookie jar, Secretary of State and prominent Democrat Kevin Shelley is in hot
water over misuse of funds and bad hiring practices.  Also involved in the
controversy is Shelley’s former employee Andrew Lee, son of prominent Newsom backer
Julie Lee.
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/01/26/MNG12B0HHF1.DTL
http://www.sfexaminer.com/article/index.cfm/i/012605b_shelley

Green Party and Code Pink activist June Brashares is still facing charges
stemming from her protest of Bush at the Republican National Convention.  The
article below gives an update on the legal case against her.  June was going to
have to appear in court on Jan 27th, but now that’s been postponed until after
the legal wrangling regarding the subpoena of a few news reporters is settled.

http://www.nynewsday.com/news/local/crime/nyc-gop0121,0,3959750.story?coll=nyc
-manheadlines-crime

Nancy Pelosi Must Go!  An editorial in this week’s San Francisco Bay Guardian
agrees.
http://www.sfbg.com/39/17/x_oped.html

Steven Hill and Rob Richie wrote an editorial on voting and election issues
that was published in the San Jose Mercury News and on TomPaine.com.
http://www.tompaine.com/opinion/#003487

Yes, Condoleezza Rice is now officially US Secretary of State, but at least a
few Senators criticized her.  Read the speeches Senator Robert Byrd and
Senator Edward Kennedy made challenging Condoleezza Rice's nomination.
http://www.tompaine.com/action/#003470

EVENTS:
Friday, January 28
Come to a documentary film screening & reception to benefit Action Against
Hunger.  HEART OF THE CONGO: Does International Aid Help?  The event begins with
the 8 PM showing of Tom Weidlinger’s new documentary, "Heart of the Congo",
which chronicles how a handful of aid workers try to help Congolese refugees
who have lost everything at the end of a war.  Location is the Herbst Theater at
the War Memorial Performing Arts Center, Veteran’s Building at 401 Van Ness
Avenue (at McAllister).  Tickets for the film and reception are $35, and $10
for the film only.  To purchase tickets in advance, go to
http://www.cityboxoffice.com or http://www.tickets.com, or call 415-392-4400.  Tickets will also be
available at the door, though advance purchase is recommended.
http://www.heartofthecongo.com

Friday, January 28
Join us for an evening of stellar independent animated shorts, sounding off
on the themes of politics, love, and the intersection between the two.
Featured artists include Ian Inaba, director of Eminem's ground-breaking "Mosh" music
video, and Catherine Margerin, Director of "HOPE" - a stunning visualization
of Native American prophecy.  The event begins at 8 PM and takes place at 992
Valencia Street.  Admission is $5-10, sliding scale.  This event is a
fundraiser for the "Voices of Veterans:  Why Are We In Iraq" documentary project and
ATA (Artist's Television Access www.atasite.org, 415- 824-3890.

Sunday, January 30
Religious Witness with Homeless People is sponsoring “Covenant of Compassion
with Homeless People”, an event at which homeless people will share - through
their own poetry - their own perspective on the state of homelessness.  This
event takes place from 3 – 4 PM at Civic Center Plaza.  For more information
contact Sister Bernie Galvin, (415) 929-0781 or relwithome at yahoo.com.

Friday, February 4
Join us for “A Call to Remembrance” candlelight vigil honoring the memory of
the 87 homicide victims in 2004 and the 6 deaths this year.  This vigil will
take place from 6 – 8 PM at McClaren Park Childcare Center, located at 2055
Sunnydale Avenue, just past Persia Avenue in Visitacion Valley.  San Francisco,
particularly the Southeastern part of the City, has experienced an epidemic of
gun violence in the past year and a half.  To bring attention to this issue,
and help make the connections between the violence in the world and the
violence here at home, we are urging everyone to stand with the mothers and families
to honor the memory of the dozens of young men and women killed on our
streets.  These young people had lives and people who loved them, and we need to
call for an end to these senseless deaths.  Supervisors Ross Mirkarimi, Sophie
Maxwell, and other city officials are confirmed to attend.  We will meet at the
McClaren Park Childcare Center on Sunnydale Avenue.  For more info call CLAER
(Community Leadership Academy Emergency Response) at 415-333-3017.

Visit our San Francisco Green Party web site for information about upcoming
working group meetings http://www.sfgreenparty.org.

Warm Regards,
Erika McDonald
To have an item included in this newsletter, send email to erikasf at aol.com.