[SFGP] SF Green Party Weekly

announce at sfgreens.org announce at sfgreens.org
Thu Jun 16 16:44:55 PDT 2005

SFGP WEEKLY
For The Week of 6/16/05 - 6/23/05
(Cause we're never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy!)
Welcome to All Our New Subscribers From the Haight Street Fair!

This Week:
NEW!!!!
SFGP Weekly Staff Presents:
Joke of The Week
The Donkey Auction

A city boy, Kenny, moved to the country and bought a donkey from an
old farmer for $100.00.  The farmer agreed to deliver the donkey the next
day.
The next day the farmer drove up and said, "Sorry son, but I have some
bad news, the donkey died."
Kenny replied, "Well then, just give me my money back."
The farmer said, "Can't do that. I went and spent it already."
Kenny said, "OK then, just unload the donkey."
The farmer asked, "What ya gonna do with him?"
Kenny, "I'm going to raffle him off."
Farmer, " You can't raffle off a dead donkey!"
Kenny, "Sure I can.  Watch me.  I just won't tell anybody he is dead."
A month later the farmer met up with Kenny and asked, "What happened
with that dead donkey?"
Kenny, "I raffled him off.  I sold 500 tickets at two dollars a piece
and made a profit of $898.00."
Farmer, "Didn't anyone complain?"
Kenny, " Just the guy who won.  So I gave him his two dollars back."
Kenny grew up and eventually became the chairman of Enron.

News:
6/10: City Close To Finalizing Power-Buying Plan
Events:
- 6/18: Juneteenth in the Fillmore
- 6/22: Envisioning a Green Future in Nepal
Announcements:
- Congratulations to our new SFGCC Members
- Formation of Youth Working Group Update
- Become A Sustainer!

6/10: City close to finalizing power-buying plan
By: Justin Jouvenal
Source: SF Examiner

Green Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi leads City Hall effort for public power: San
Francisco is poised to move forward with a plan to begin pooling the buying
power of its electricity customers in the hopes of obtaining cheaper rates,
cleaner power and developing energy independence.
After a long planning process, The City is hammering out the final details
on a plan for "Community Choice Aggregation," which is expected to be
approved by a Board of Supervisors committee today and has a strong chance
of being approved by the full board.
Instead of purchasing power from PG&E, the plan would allow San Francisco to
shop around for power from various suppliers. Proponents says a CCA will
insulate ratepayers from the volatility of the electricity market, give it
more leverage over power contracts and the ability to choose "green" energy
sources.
"It gives San Franciscan ratepayer energy independence. We can shop for
better prices and reliability. It also gives us a chance to walk the walk,"
said Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi, referring to The City's green principles.

Read the rest at:
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1345
Events
*************************************
Juneteenth in the Fillmore
Saturday, June 18th, and Sunday, June 19th
9:00am - 5:00pm
Join the San Francisco Green Party and San Francisco & Bay area African
American Communities to enjoy with friends and family the 55th Annual San
Francisco Juneteenth Celebration under the leadership of The San Francisco
Juneteenth Committee and it's sponsoring partners. We need volunteers to
staff the booth and to provide transportation of materials to and from the
Green Party office (for Saturday and Sunday). Contact Mark Barnes
mwbsf at riseup.net if you can help. Enjoy the great local food, music and
mellow crowd. Lots of activities for kids too.

The San Francisco Juneteenth Festival is the oldest and largest Juneteenth
Celebration outside of Texas, where Juneteenth originated on June 19, 1865
when the last slaves held in bondage received word of the Emancipation
Proclamation from Union General Gordon Granger. This was almost two and a
half years after President Abraham Lincoln signed the Proclamation (Jan.
1863). This date became known as Juneteenth and thereafter celebrated by the
African American Community as the date when slavery ended in the United
States.

Envisioning a Green Future in Nepal
Wednesday, June 22nd
6:30pm - 9:00pm
Maitalal Gurung, a founding member of the Green Nepal Party, and descendant
of the Ghurka ethnic group , is touring the US with his presentation on the
current crisis in Nepal and possible non violent solutions. The current
state of emergency in Nepal reached a critical stage in February 2005, when
the King declared martial law, imprisoned political opponents, disbanded the
Parliament, suspended many constitutional rights, blocked communications
with the outside world, and expanded military attacks against the Maoist
insurgents in the countryside.

Presentation is Free and open to the public. Where: SF Green Party office,
1028 A Howard St. for more info, call 701-7090

Announcements:
**********************
Congratulations to our three newly appointed SFGCC members!
Appointed by consensus at Wednesday's GM were:
Sue Vaughn
Charlene Smythe
Jazzie Collins

STUDENTS, TEENS, ALL YOUNG PEOPLE!

Under 30?
Feeling left out of the decision-making process?
Have some really cool ideas?
Want to talk about issues that matter to you?
Want to have fun and be heard?

Now is your chance!  Did you know that one of the Green Party's goals
is *promoting* youth empowerment?  It's time to speak up and tell us
what *you* want!  We are looking for more young people to take part in
active membership in the San Francisco Green Party.  Not 18 yet?  Not
a problem- all you need to do is say that you identify with us, and
you're in!  We plan to meet one night a month somewhere in the city,
hang out, have fun, and talk about issues important to youth today.
We're still looking for people, so e-mail your suggestions to Nicole
(ladypest at hotmail.com) with the subject "Youth WG" in the
title.

This week's topics:
Writing Our Charter!

Become a Green Party sustainer!

As you may know, the SFGP is supported by our wonderful sustaining donors --
175 and growing.  In the next 12 months we hope to double that figure, and
you can help us achieve our goal by signing up to make a regular
contribution to the Green Party.

Our sustainer program nearly pays all of our basic monthly operating
expenses, including rent and utilities on the office, and drastically
reduces the amount of work needed to raise money.  Our sustainers free us up
to do what we're really here for - to pursue Green values through the
democratic system. Sustainers also ensure that we are able to keep our
office, which has hosted numerous campaigns' headquarters including the
successful Prop A, Instant Runoff Voting initiative.

Becoming a Green Party sustainer is easy, fun, and secure!

Online: http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html

Phone: 415-701-7090