[SFGP] San Francisco Green Party Weekly

John-Marc Chandonia jmc at sfgreens.org
Thu Mar 31 15:31:31 PST 2005

(From Erika McDonald)

Hello Fellow Greens,

After 15 months of volunteer service, Newsletter Editor Erika McDonald
is stepping down.  Thanks to our readers for all of the positive
feedback regarding our weekly newsletter.  The San Francisco Green
Party County Council will be taking over the newsletter until a
permanent replacement can be found.

An effort is being made to include more internal SFGP information,
especially regarding working group meetings.  We encourage everyone's
continued involvement in these working groups, and meeting times are
posted below.  Please do contact the working group chairs if it is
your first time attending, as meeting dates and times occasionally
change at the last minute due to extemporaneous circumstances.

The SFGP has a few exciting projects in the works.  An office
rearrangement and beautification day has been tentatively scheduled
for April 9, from 12 noon to 8 PM, lunch and beverages provided.  This
will be partly in preparation for a 2nd anniversary open house at our
office, tentatively scheduled to coincide with Earth Day, on April 22.

Don't forget to join us at the Green Party contingent of the Cesar
Chavez Parade this Sunday!

In this update:
* News
* Calendar
* Update on Aimee Allison for Oakland City Council Campaign
* SFGP Monthly Meeting Days

NEWS:
Green Party candidate for Oakland City Council Aimee Allison had a
successful kick-off last weekend.  Thanks to everyone who came and
helped out.  Aimee got great coverage in Berkeley Daily Planet.
http://www.berkeleydaily.org/article.cfm?archiveDate=03-25-05&storyID=21013

Green Party member and former candidate for District 9 Supervisor
Renee Saucedo wrote an editorial for the San Francisco Bay Guardian
about the war on immigrants.
http://www.sfbg.com/39/25/x_oped.html

Green Party member and electoral reform expert Steve Hill had an essay
published in the San Francisco Examiner.
http://www.sfexaminer.com/articles/2005/03/21//opinion//20050321_op03_editorial2.txt

This web log site shares ideas from Green Party members:
http://prorev.com/greenpages.htm

The San Francisco Sentinel has published information about a
controversial new measure to ease condominium conversion that will
soon come before the San Francisco Board of Supervisors.  Check out
the great photos, too.  http://www.sanfranciscosentinel.com/

CALENDAR:

FRIDAY, APRIL 1
WHAT:  No Fooling!  Friends of the San Francisco Sentinel present A
Tribute to Pat Murphy
WHEN: Friday, April 1, 2005, 6 - 8 PM
WHERE: Polo's Blue Cube, 34 Mason Street at Market
attendance at the April 1st tribute and celebration of the San
Francisco Sentinel's publisher, Pat Murphy. The event will be held at
Terrance Alan's hot new nightspot, Polo's Blue Cube, located at 34
Mason just off Market Street.  Pat Murphy is a lively presence on the
San Francisco political scene, covering events and moods at City Hall
too often ignored by the regular print media. With his ever-present
bowtie and stately demeanor, he has been hailed as indispensable to
the San Franciscans who really run the city. Two floors of
celebrities, politicians, journalists and newsmakers will enjoy
appetizers courtesy of the The Blue Cube's Terrance Alan and a no-host
bar.  Suggested donation is $20 (minimum) at the door. If you are
unable to attend the event, checks may be mailed to Gerry Crowley at 7
Fielding, San Francisco, CA 94133 and should be made payable to the
San Francisco Sentinel.

SUNDAY, APRIL 3
WHAT: Cesar Chavez Parade and Festival 2005
WHEN: Sunday, April 3 at 11 AM for the parade
WHERE: Go to Justin Herman Plaza for the parade, and Civic Center for the
festival
The SF Green Party has reserved a place for a contingent in this
year's Cesar Chavez Parade and Celebration. The parade will start from
2nd Street.  The Green Party contingent will be on 2nd on the south
side of the Mission intersection - number C2. We are meeting up at
11:00 A.M. at 2nd and Mission. If you plan to march in our contingent
this Sunday, PLEASE CONFIRM your participation by e-mail ASAP to
mbarn2002 at yahoo.com.  Look for the Green Party banner and join us!
Details: http//www.sfgreenparty.org

MONDAY, APRIL 4
WHAT: Campaigns and Issues working group meeting
WHEN: April 4, 7-9 PM
WHERE: SFGP office, located at 1028 A Howard Street between 6th and 7th
Streets in San Francisco
for college funding for youth at risk of being recruited into the
military; statewide petitions being circulated for statewide ballot
measures; an update on gun ban legislation; and follow-up on local
issues.  For more information, contact Tri-Chairs Charlene Smythe at
msmythe2002 at yahoo.com, Marc Salomon at marc at cybre.net, or Susan King
at funking at mindspring.com.

TUESDAY, APRIL 5
WHAT: Protest Arnold
WHEN: Tuesday, April 5 at 6 PM
WHERE: Rally outside the Ritz Carlton, located at 600 Stockton Street near
California
at one of his exclusive fundraising events.  Donors are expected to
contribute up to $89,200 per head to hobnob with the governor.
Organizers call on the governor to: stop his plan to privatize
retirement security, end his corporate auction of Californians,
respect the law, and enforce the Safe Staffing Law for hospital
patients, as ordered by the courts, keep his promise to pay back the
$2 billion he borrowed from our schools.  For more information, call
510-273-2240.

TUESDAY, APRIL 5
WHAT: Housing and Land Use working group
WHEN: Tuesday, April 5 at 7 PM
WHERE:  SFGP Office, located at 1028 A Howard Street between 6th and 7th
Streets in San Francisco
Green Party around housing, development and land use
issues. Discussions include developing issues for the monthly Housing
and Land Use seminars, Housing Element, Environmental Impact Reports
and zoning, Board of Supervisor actions on housing and land use
related issues.  For more information, contact Chair David Wilbur at
drwsf at sbcglobal.net.

THURSDAY, APRIL 7
WHAT: Feminist Issues Group (FIG) meeting
WHEN: Thursday, April 7, 6:30 PM pizza, 7 PM meeting
WHERE: SFGP Office, located at 1028 A Howard Street between 6th and 7th
Streets in San Francisco
SF Green Party. All women are invited to attend and discuss issues
important to women in politics.  FIG Co-Chair Irene Dick-Endrizzi is
working on getting a War Tax Resistor (or two) to tell us of their
experiences.  For more information, contact Co-Chairs Irene
Dick-Endrizzi at irdizzi at pacbell.net or Maureen DeBoer at
Maureen_deboer at hotmail.com.

UPDATE ON AIMEE ALLISON FOR OAKLAND CITY COUNCIL CAMPAIGN
Aimee Allison's campaign for Oakland City Council is gaining momentum.  The
campaign is looking for volunteers for various activities.

Office Staff Needed
Volunteers are needed to help staff our headquarters on weekdays between 10
AM - 8 PM.  This is a great way to get involved in the ground floor of Aimee's
campaign, help us keep up with our data entry needs, and meet Oakland
supporters. Plus there is always free coffee and bagles on hand!

Phone Banking
The campaign is in the process of calling all voters in the district who have
expressed support for Aimee.  We have currently identified hundreds of people
who will vote for Aimee in the upcoming special election, however, we need to
ID hundreds more before April 18, when the ballots go out in the mail.

Precinct Walking/Tabling
Help contact voters and educate them about the special election in
Oakland and get exercise at the same time! We will be sending out
teams of walkers every weekend to deliver Aimee Allison for City
Council information throughout the district.  Teams will also go to
high foot traffic areas to set up info tables and distribute
literature to residents.

If you or anyone you know can devote 10-15 hours per week for the next
4-6 weeks to get an incredible candidate elected, please contact
Aimee's campaign at vote at aimeeallison.org or call 510-594-7772.  Or,
you can contact Micheas at 415-424-5881.
http://www.aimeeallison.org

SFGP MONTHLY MEETING DATES

The SFGP County Council is putting together a calendar of regularly
scheduled internal Green Party events.  Below is the current schedule
of events by week for the San Francisco Green Party.  Please send any
corrections/additions to our SFGP County Council, cc at sfgreens.org.

1st Week:
M: Campaigns and Issues working group meeting
T; Housing and Land Use working group meeting
W: Grass Roots Organizing (tabling and outreach) GROW working group meeting
Th: Feminist Issues Group (FIG) meeting

2nd Week:
M: Open
T: Open
W: SF Green Party County Council meeting
Th: Open
Sun: Westside Greens Meeting (this group meets in the Sunset)

3rd Week:
M: Open
T: Housing and Land Use Seminar
W: SF Green Party General Meeting
Th: Open
Fri: Art Opening at Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi's office

4th Week:
M: Open
T: Energy AND Transportation working group meetings
W: Open
Th: Open
F: SF School Board Art Party

Thanks to all of our members for your continued support!

Warm Regards,
Erika McDonald
For future suggestions regarding the newsletter, send items to our San
Francisco Green Party County Council at cc at sfgreens.org.