[SFGP] San Francisco Green Party Weekly

announce at sfgreens.org announce at sfgreens.org
Wed May 11 18:50:37 PDT 2005

SFGP Weekly Newsletter for the week of 5/12 - 5/19

This Week:
Events:
- 5/12: Stop Muni Fare Hikes
- 5/14: - 5/17: Aimee Allison final weekend
- 5/17: Housing and Land Use Working Group Meeting
- 5/18: SFGP General Membership Meeting
Announcements:
- Formation of Animal Rights Working Group
- Formation of Youth Working Group

Stop the Muni fare increases and service cuts!
Thursday, May 12 11:00 am
Board of Supervisors Budget Committee
City Hall, room 263

The San Francisco Green Party has endorsed the Platform for Transit
Justice which encourages the Board of Supervisors and the mayor to
reject this budget and encourage the Board of Directors to adopt a
budget that diminishes the subsidies for car drivers further through
increased parking fees and fines. Your testimony in favor of the
Platform will help.

If you cannot attend, please contact the supervisors and the mayor:
Gavin Newsom, Wade.Crowfoot at sfgov.org
Gloria Young, board.of.supervisors at sfgov.org

Help Aimee Allison Cross the Finish Line First!

Please come out this weekend or any evening this week to make phone
calls, walk precincts and table information booths for this final
chapter in this historic campaign.

****Every Weekday Afternoon/Evening
Walk with Aimee and other volunteers. Phone bank or table at a
district hot spot.

****Saturday the 14th- "Action Day!"
1pm [* New Time *] Literature Drop - We won't be knocking on doors.
10am * Phone bank
8am & later * Tabling Farmer's Markets and Lakeshore Peet's

****Sunday the 15th- "Action Day!"
1pm [* New Time *] Literature Drop - We won't be knocking on doors.
10am * Tabling Lakeshore Peet's & other district hot spots

****Tuesday the 17th- "Campaign Victory Party!"
7pm Live bands, food, and fun! Ballots are due 8pm, results shortly
afterwards!

Weekends: Meet at the Campaign HQ -3242 Grand Ave- callers/tablers at
10am, walkers at 1 PM Please sign-up today by calling our campaign
headquarters at (510) 594-7772. We're on the AC Transit #12 bus line
from 19th Street BART.

Tuesday, 05/17
7:00PM- 9:00PM
Housing and Land Use Working Group

Our bi-monthly meeting held at the Green Party office. Everyone is
welcome.  Proposed agenda includes: Preparation for seminar on Smart
Growth and TOD, alternative seminar venues, Prop. 13 informational
discussion, State legislation update, and the Housing Element.  SFGP
Office, 1028A Howard St.

Wednesday, 05/18
7:30PM- 9:30PM
SF Green Party General Membership meeting

This is the monthly general meeting of the SF Green Party. All are
welcome to attend. We make endorsement and policy decisions, review
Working Group activities, and plan for events and actions to grow the
SF Green Party.  SFGP Office, 1028A Howard St.

Announcements:

ATTENTION ANIMAL-LOVING GREEN PARTY MEMBERS

I am seeking people to start an animal working group with in the San
Francisco Green Party. The mission of this group would be to become a
voice for animals in the Green Party, and support, work with, and
represent animal advocacy groups such as In Defense of Animals
(www.idausa.org).  Ecological wisdom is one of the Green Party's Ten
Key Values. According to the Green Party of California's platform on
ecology and earth stewardship, this also includes treating animals
well and respecting their needs
(http://cagreens.org/platform/ecology.htm#ethical). Let's live up to this
promise!
Of course, I'm open any kind of ideas and suggestions on how we can make
this happen. To contact me, I can be emailed at rclord at seaserpent.com
- Rosalind Lord

STUDENTS, TEENS, ALL YOUNG PEOPLE!

Under 30?
Feeling left out of the decision-making process?
Have some really cool ideas?
Want to talk about issues that matter to you?
Want to have fun and be heard?

Now is your chance!  Did you know that one of the Green Party's goals
is *promoting* youth empowerment?  It's time to speak up and tell us
what *you* want!  We are looking for more young people to take part in
active membership in the San Francisco Green Party.  Not 18 yet?  Not
a problem- all you need to do is say that you identify with us, and
you're in!  We plan to meet one night a month somewhere in the city,
hang out, have fun, and talk about issues important to youth today.
We're still looking for people, so e-mail your suggestions to Nicole
Walter (ladypest at hotmail.com) with the subject "Youth WG" in the
title.  Can't wait to hear from you!