[SFGP] SF Green Party Weekly

announce at sfgreens.org announce at sfgreens.org
Thu Nov 3 11:36:01 PST 2005

SFGP WEEKLY
For The Week of 11/3/05 - 11/10/05

**REMEMBER TO VOTE NOVEMBER 8th!!**
(see News for SFGP Slate Card)

This Week:
News:
11/2: Mirkarimi and Newsom Have It In The Bag
11/8: SFGP Slate Card
Events:
Ongoing: Vacancies on the San Francisco Police Commission
Ongoing: Sunshine Task Force Opening
11/3: Yes on Prop. D Fundraiser
11/4: Yes on Prop. I with Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi
11/5: Green Festival
11/5: Greens to New Orleans Volunteer Meeting
11/6: Yes on Prop. I with Commissioner Mark Sanchez
11/7: Campaigns and Issues Working Group Meeting
Announcements:
Joke of the Week
New Orleans Reconstruction Project
Become A Sustainer!
News
*********************
11/2: Mirkarimi and Newsom Have It In The Bag
Wednesday, November 2, 2005
Contact: Mayor's Office of Communications
415-554-6131

                          *** PRESS RELEASE ***

SAN FRANCISCO TO REDUCE 10 MILLION GROCERY STORE BAGS TO REDUCE LITTER AND
                  IMPROVE LOCAL AND GLOBAL ENVIRONMENT

San Francisco, CA - Mayor Gavin Newsom and Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi joined
together to announce a unique public-private waste reduction agreement, the
first of its kind in the nation, which calls for significant reduction of
grocery checkout bag use. Working in conjunction with city government,
supermarkets operated by Albertsons, Andronicos, Bell Markets, CalMart,
Cala Foods, Foods Co, Mollie Stone's, and Safeway have set a reduction
target of 10,000,000 by the end of 2006.

"San Francisco is a global recycling leader. We now recycle more than
two-thirds of all our waste," said Mayor Newsom. "Today, our city is taking
a historic step to reduce the use of disposable items such as grocery store
bags," Newsom continued, "This is just the beginning if we are to become a
truly sustainable city."

In 2003, City government adopted goals of 75 percent landfill diversion by
2010 and zero waste by 2020. These diversion goals intend to achieve a
cleaner, healthier local environment and minimize the negative impacts of
solid waste. This partnership is made possible by local stores' willingness
to pursue innovative measures to reduce consumption and disposal of
checkout bags, as well as the City's willingness to work with local stores
in a cooperative measure.

"This is a first step whose merit shall be judged in due time, in making
certain that this is not an industry driven remedy," said Supervisor
Mirkarimi.

The target reduction of 10 million bags may represent up to twenty percent
of the total bags distributed in San Francisco on an annual basis-the exact
figure of bags used annually will be captured through monitoring by the
city. A reduction of 10 million bags will keep 95 tons of material plastic
out of San Francisco's waste stream, and will reduce San Francisco's
contribution of greenhouse gas emissions by nearly 1 million pounds of CO2.
This is equivalent to 44,000 gallons of oil or taking more than 14,000
automobiles off the road for a day.

The Commission on the Environment first looked at the issue of grocery
checkout bag reduction in San Francisco in late 2004. Subsequently, Mayor
Newsom and Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi co-sponsored a resolution focusing on
reduction measures, and have worked together with industry to craft the
voluntary reduction agreement.

The Department of the Environment is charged with ensuring that the goals
of the Agreement are implemented. "We will immediately work with the
grocery stores to determine an accurate baseline for the number of bags
distributed.  We will then monitor the supermarkets' progress towards
reaching the reduction targets," said Jared Blumenfeld, Director of the San
Francisco Department of the Environment.

The agreement includes enhanced bag recycling efforts, as well as a public
education campaign funded by the supermarkets through their checkout bag
suppliers.
11/8: SFGP Slate Card
(*note: the SFGP Weekly Staff will also send out the Slate card on the
evening of Nov. 7th -ed.)

SF Green Party Endorsements:

No Endorsement: City Attorney, Assessor, Treasurer

SF Local Ballot Initiatives:
NO: Prop A - Community College Dist. Gen. Obligation Bond
No Position: Prop B - Street & Sidewalk Improvement Bond
YES: Prop C - Ethics Commission Budget and Outside Counsel
YES: Prop D - Appoint Municipal Transpo Agency Brd of Directors
YES: Prop E - Election Date Assessor - Recorder & Pub Defender
NO: Prop F - Neighborhood Firehouses
YES: Prop G - Access to Underground Parking at Golden Gate Park
No Position: Prop H - Firearm Ban
YES: Prop I - No Military Recruiters in Public Schools, Scholarships for
Education and Job Training

Statewide Ballot:
NO - Prop. 73 - Termination of Minor's Pregnancy
NO - Prop. 74 - Public School Teachers. Waiting Period for Permanent Status
NO - Prop. 75 - Public Employee Union Dues. Required Employee Consent for
Political Contributions
NO - Prop. 76 - School Funding
NO - Prop. 77 - Reapportionment
NO - Prop. 78 - Prescription Drug Discounts
YES - Prop 79 - Prescription Drugs
NO - Prop. 80 - Electric Service Providers. Regulation
Events
**********************
Ongoing: Vacancies on the San Francisco Police Commission
Action Item

Our friends at Bay Area Police Watch are putting together a list of
recommended people to fill 2 slots on the police commission.
Anyone interested should contact Malaika Parker at
malaika at ellabakercenter.org.
See her message below.

As you may already know there is a vacancy on the San Francisco Police
Commission as a result of Peter Keane’s departure for San Francisco. There
will be an additional vacancy in December  with the departure of Gayle
Oor-Smith. Because of this I am looking to build a list of possible
candidates to fill the vacancies. Both vacancies will be filled by the Board
of Supervisors, so there is a real opportunity to get folks on the
commission that are really solid on police accountability. Please take the
time to send me a list of 1or 2 people that you think would be good for the
commission, please be sure to include their contact information and a few
words on who they are. I would like to send a list off to Tom Amiano, Chris
Daly, and Ross Mikarimi on Wednesday November 2, 2005 . I look forward to
your thoughts on this.

Malaika Parker
Director, Bay Area PoliceWatch
Ella Baker Center for Human Rights
344 40th Street
Oakland, CA Â Â Â Â 94609

510.428.3939 x242 (office)
510.428.3940 (fax)

http://ellabakercenter.org
Ongoing: Sunshine Task Force Opening
Action Item

If you're interested in keeping San Francisco public officials and  agencies
accountable to the citizens, here's an opportunity to help in a  very direct
way. Seat No. 9 on the city's Sunshine Ordinance Task Force  will be vacated
on Dec. 1. The task force is the 11-member body  responsible for monitoring
city officials' and agencies' compliance, or  lack thereof, with local and
state open-meetings and public-records laws,  including the ordinance itself
(City Administrative Code Section 67,  accessible via
www.sfgov.org/sunshine).

The Green Party was instrumental in persuading voters to pass a 1999
initiative (Prop. G) that strengthened the Sunshine Ordinance. Ross
Mirkarimi did a stellar job of directing that campaign. Now, he sits (with
Michela Alioto-Pier and Aaron Peskin) on the Board of Supervisors Rules
Committee, which does the initial screening on applicants for seats on the
task force and other city panels.

Applications to serve on the task force are available from the clerk of  the
Board of Supervisors. Feel free to contact me if you want additional
information.

Rick Knee
Task force member and fellow Green
rak0408 at earthlink.net
11/3: Yes on Prop. D Fundraiser
Thursday, November 3rd
8:00pm
El Rio [Mission Street (just past Cesar Chavez)]

Join Greens and transportation activists at El Rio on Mission Street (just
past Cesar Chavez) on Thursday, November 3 from 5 to 8 p.m. Green County
Council member Susan Vaughan will be speaking on behalf of the Green Party
in support of local ballot measure Proposition D. This measure will give the
Board of Supervisors shared power in appointing members of the Municipal
Transportation Agency Commission
11/4: Yes on Prop. I with Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi
Friday, November 4th
3:00pm
Intersection of Gough and Hayes Sts., SF, CA

Join Supervisor Mirkarimi and College Not Combat for a merchant walk in
Hayes Valley to support Proposition I.
Last year alone, San Francisco sent 197 new recruits to the military and has
spent nearly $600 million of our dollars for an illegal war that should have
been used for education, job training, and scholarships for our students, as
well as wages, healthcare and housing for all.  Recruiters are not welcome
on our school campuses!  2000+ deaths are 2000+ too many.  How many deaths
does it take?  NO TO WAR, and YES to funding education:  the real
opportunity for all of our youth.

Please contact Vicki Leidner at 415-648-5050 for more information
11/5: Green Festival
Saturday, November 5th
10:00am- 4:00pm
San Francisco Concourse
8th & Brannan Street

Join us Saturday at the SF Green Party booth for this important West Coast
green event and enjoy the festival too. Let's get all these folks registered
Green!

VOLUNTEERS needed for the booth between 10am and 4pm. The booth will be
located outside of the Concourse. Contact Mark Barnes mwbsf at riseup.net to
volunteer.

San Francisco Green Festival
November 5 & 6, 2005
Saturday 10AM - 9PM
Sunday 11AM - 7PM

www.greenfestivals.com
11/5: Greens to New Orleans Volunteer Meeting
Saturday, November 5th
11:00am-12:30pm
1028A Howard St. (SFGP Office)

Join Greens and other activists to support the people of New Orleans and
Green Party activist Malik Rahim's group, Common Ground.

We are having an important meeting for all volunteers interested in
participating in any way in the Bay Area caravan to New Orleans. All
volunteers should do their best to make it to this meeting.

The agenda for the meeting:

1. Background on Common Ground and the 9th Ward
2. What the Roadtrip and the on-the-ground work will look like
3. What volunteers need to know
4. Make goals and action plans for raising money and supplies
5. Match riders with drivers, get leads on vehicles
6. Communication plan for Bay Area volunteers
7. Determine location, date, and time of the send-off gathering

11/6: Yes on Prop. I with Commissioner Mark Sanchez
Sunday, November 6th
11:30am
Brunch stroll through the Valencia Corridor with School Board Commissioner
Mark Sanchez and friends with YES ON PROP I

Please contact Vicki Leidner at 415-648-5050 for more information
11/7: Campaigns and Issues Working Group Meeting
Monday, November 7th
7:30pm- 9:00pm
1028A Howard St. (SFGP Office)

Monthly meeting of the CIWG. Potential agenda items include: proposing
policy adoption on issues relating to candidates and endorsements for
upcoming elections; part of meeting to make GOTV calls to Greens.
11/9: SFGP County Council Meeting
Wednesday, November 9th
7:30pm- 9:00pm
1028A Howard St.

Monthly meeting of the SF Green Party's county council. We will set the
agenda for the General Membership meeting at this meeting, so please attend
or contact the cc (cc at sfgreens.org) if you have an item for the GM agenda.
Announcements
*************************
Joke of the Week
Submitted by Stephan Willis
(Due to the length of this submission, we are only including one joke.  Next
week, look for more of our favorite satrist, Mad Kane, and more political
laughs! -Ed.)

BATTLE HYMN OF THE REPUBLICANS

Mine Eyes have seen the bungling of that stumbling moron Bush;
He has blathered all the drivel that the neo-cons can push;
He has lost sight of all reason 'cause his head is up his tush;
The Doofus marches on.

I have heard him butcher syntax like a kindergarten fool;
There is warranted suspicion that he never went to school;
Should we fault him for the policies - or is he just their tool?
The lies keep piling on.

Glory! Glory! How he'll Screw Ya'!
Glory! Glory! How he'll Screw Ya'!
Glory! Glory! How he'll Screw Ya'!
His wreckage will live on.

I have seen him cut the taxes of the billionaires' lone heir;
As he spends another zillion on an aircraft carrier;
Let the smokestacks keep polluting - do we really need clean air?
The surplus is now gone.

Glory! Glory! How he'll Screw Ya'!
Glory! Glory! How he'll Screw Ya'!
Glory! Glory! How he'll Screw Ya'!
Your safety net is gone!

Now he's got a mighty hankerin' to bomb a prostrate state;
Though the whole world knows its crazy - and the U.N. says to wait;
When he doesn't have the evidence, "We must prevaricate."
Diplomacy is done!

Oh, a trumped-up war is excellent; we have no moral bounds;
Should the reasons be disputed, we'll just make up other grounds;
Enraging several billions - to his brainlessness redounds;
The Doofus marches on!

Glory! Glory! How he'll Screw Ya'!
Glory! Glory! How he'll Screw Ya'!
Glory! Glory! How he'll Screw Ya'!
THIS...DOO...FUS...MAR...CHES...ON!
JOIN THE ROADTRIP FOR RELIEF!!
CLEAN-UP, REPAIR, REBUILD IN THE
9TH WARD WITH COMMON GROUND COLLECTIVE
November 20-27

Common Ground Collective has called a National Caravan to arrive in New
Orleans on November 20th and work over the week of Thanksgiving until
November 27th. In the meantime, we are having regular planning meetings to
build up to this event, and we need people to join our organizing efforts.

Please contact Susan King at funking at mindspring.com to find out how you can
be a part of this vital effort.

Why: The concentrated efforts of this caravan will bring hope to the
displaced people of New Orleans so they see that it is possible to clean-up
their neighborhoods and rebuild their lives. The work of the caravan will be
a demonstration of what is possible.
Who: You. Your organization. Self-sustained groups that can organize
themselves. We also need volunteers with specific skills: electricians,
mechanics, plumbers, mold abaters, roofers, construction workers,
carpenters, tree workers, lawyers, cooks and people who can train other
volunteers and residents in these skills.
When: We need organizers to help right now! We're asking folks in the
caravan to arrive in New Orleans on November 20th and work through the
Thanksgiving week until Novemeber 27th. Of course, volunteers are needed
continuously and can arrive anytime.
How you can help: Get on the bus. Donate a bus. Organize a bus. Donate $$$$.
Donate supplies . Help raise funds, plan a fundraiser, ask your network to
donate. Help spread the word.
Become a Green Party Sustainer!

As you may know, the SFGP is supported by our wonderful sustaining donors --
175 and growing.  In the next 12 months we hope to double that figure, and
you can help us achieve our goal by signing up to make a regular
contribution to the Green Party.

Our sustainer program nearly pays all of our basic monthly operating
expenses, including rent and utilities on the office, and drastically
reduces the amount of work needed to raise money.  Our sustainers free us up
to do what we're really here for - to pursue Green values through the
democratic system. Sustainers also ensure that we are able to keep our
office, which has hosted numerous campaigns' headquarters including the
successful Prop A, Instant Runoff Voting initiative.

Becoming a Green Party sustainer is easy, fun, and secure!

Online: http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html

Phone: 415-701-7090