[SFGP] SF Green Party Weekly

announce at sfgreens.org announce at sfgreens.org
Thu Oct 20 16:27:14 PDT 2005

SFGP WEEKLY

For The Week of 10/20/05 - 10/28/05
This Week:
News:
10/13: Toxic Chemicals Found in Some Children's Toys
10/15: Elaine Brown tossed from ballot
10/18: First Report from New Orleans
10/18: Students Greet Military with Rally and Queer Kiss-In
Events:
10/20: Happy Hour Benefit for Commercial Alert with Matt Gonzalez and Gary
Ruskin
10/21: Art Opening Reception for Tim Gaskin at City Hall
10/23: Ross and Friends Phonebanking Night
10/24: GOTV Sunset Precinct Walk
10/24: Schwarzenegger Corporate Debate Protest
10/25: An Evening with The Honorable Mayor of Bethlehem, Dr. Victor Batarseh
10/26: Prop 13 Public Talk with David Giesen
Announcements:
Joke of the Week
Early Voting Open At City Hall
Emmie is Editing Announce This Week
Become A Sustainer!
News
*********************
Thursday, October 13, 2005, in the San Jose Mercury News

"Toxic chemicals found in some children's toys"
Bay City News Service

SAN FRANCISCO - Babies who use plastic toys may be at risk later in life,
according to a report released Wednesday that shows that many products used
by babies and young children contain toxic chemicals.  Phthalates and toxic
flame-retardants were present in 18 of 25 products tested by the Environment
California Research and Policy Center and the U.S. PIRG Education Fund. The
study, which was motivated by existing bans on six types of phthalates in
Europe, was released today.  The report calls for a ban on the most toxic
chemicals in children's products, including flame retardants known as PBDEs
and 6 types of phthalates. There are currently no restrictions on phthalates
in children's products. A statewide ban on the manufacture and distribution
of two PBDEs, Penta and Octa, will take effect on June 1, 2006.  AB319,
written by Assemblywoman Wilma Chan, D-Oakland, aims to ban phthalates from
products used by children under 3. If passed, it would go into effect Jan.
1, 2007.

Phthalates, which make plastics soft and pliable, are commonly found in baby
products such as plastic teething rings and plastic books, and in personal
care products. PBDEs are present in products such as electronics casing,
furniture foam and fabric backing.  According to the report, "phthalates are
linked to premature birth, reproductive defects and early onset puberty."
The report cites a study of 85 babies by Dr. Shanna Swan at the University
of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, which found that prenatal
exposure to phthalates can affect genital development in boys.

Some children's products labeled "phthalate-free" or "non-toxic" tested
positive in the study, and Environment California recommends using wooden
toys as a safer alternative to plastic.  The best way to ensure that plastic
toys are phthalate-free is to contact manufacturers directly, said Rachel
Gibson of Environment California.

Guidelines for parents can be found at http://www.environmentcalifornia.org

You can read the full report and take a survey on toxics in kid's toys here:
http://environmentcalifornia.org/envirocalif.asp?id2=19655

To take action, click on this link or paste it into your web browser:
http://environmentcalifornia.org/envirocalif.asp?id=692&id4=ES

Dan Jacobson
Environment California Legislative Director
DanJ at environmentcalifornia.org http://www.EnvironmentCalifornia.org
Brown tossed from ballot
Elections panel says she failed residency test

By Keith Laing
The Brunswick News
Sat, Oct 15, 2005

The Glynn County Board of Elections has decided that Brunswick mayoral
candidate Elaine Brown cannot participate in the upcoming municipal election
– as either a candidate or a voter.  The elections board voted unanimously
Friday to disqualify Brown as a candidate for mayor and remove her from the
voter rolls after a week of considering whether or not she has lived in the
city long enough to be a candidate.

Complete article:
http://www.thebrunswicknews.com/front/307751713822080.php
First Report from New Orleans
by Susan King
October 18, 2005

Hi all,

I am in New Orleans with Medea Benjamin and a group of fabulous women to
join the Common Ground Collective. It is hard to describe in one short post
the amazing level of organization and work that is coming out of this small,
young organization. For more info, please take a moment and go to
http://www.commongroundrelief.org/

I will send a more thorough report later about specific needs and ways that
the Green Party can step up and be a part of this amazing work. For now,
here are a few ideas:

1. There is a national caravan being organized from November 20-27 to bring
folks from across the US to work over Thanksgiving week to help rebuild the
9th Ward in New Orleans. Plans are being made to help folks organize
caravans from their communities. The Collective is working on developing
hubs to work out of, set up housing and other infrastructure to support
volunteers to help in this effort.

The plan is to have 300 volunteers work block by block cleaning up the 9th
ward.  Clean up includes refuse removal (much is being hauled out by the
Army Corps of Engineers, but there will still be lots to do on this front).
Volunteers will work side by side with residents of the 9th ward to make
this community habitable and functional, so people can move back into their
community.

IF YOU CAN SWING IT, PLAN TO SPEND THANKSGIVING WEEK NEW ORLEANS!  There
will be organizing in SF, if you can help, we can work together to set up a
team to help get the SF caravan ready to go.

2. The needs are overwhelming, and it is amazing how much this group has
done
with so little. Yes, of course, funds are needed, but that is not the only
need.  I will try to get a comprehensive lis of things that we can help line
up to have shipped here. Efforts are underway to ask for donations from
corporations and businesses large and small. In the meantime, they still
need items either sent or driven here. I will post a list soon.

3. If you can arrange time off anytime, there are specific skills that are
useful, especially skilled labor like construction, legal aid, medical
assistants, computer skills, finance and accounting skills.  If you know
folks who can do these things, please forward this email.

I will send more reports later, and a more thorough description of the
vision of The Common Ground Collective. If you want these reports, please
email me so I can add you to the list, since I do not want to bog the staff
list down with daily reports. Please forward contact for others who want
updates.

Bye for now,
peace,
susan
STUDENTS GREET MILITARY WITH RALLY AND QUEER KISS-IN
Students creatively and peacefully block access to military recruiters
http://santacruz.indymedia.org/feature/display/17213/index.php

Today, October 18th, 2005 UCSC Students Against War (SAW) organized a
nonviolent rally and Queer Kiss-in against the presence of military
recruiters on the UC Santa Cruz Campus. About forty students participated in
protest of the military’s discriminatory “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy. The
Queer Kiss-in was staged in front of the military’s tables during the march
and rally. From inside the fair, kissers were able to effectively block
access to military recruiters without shutting down the entire career fair.
When asked about why the Queer Kiss-in was the most effective tactic to use
against the military, Steve S. a third year Literature major answered, “The
kiss as “an act of love” is fundamentally antithetical to the military as an
institution of war and death and strife.”

Outside of the University Center over a hundred students rallied against the
recruiters and in support of those participating in the kiss-in on the
inside. The students were flanked by supportive faculty and staff, many of
who wore “UCSC Faculty Against War” badges. The rally at the College Center
lasted for the duration of the career fair and included speeches by students
and faculty members such as UC Professor Bettina Aptheker, music, as well as
an impromptu question-and-answer session between SAW organizers and rally
participants.

As they rallied, the students presented a list of five[sic] demands to the
UCSC administration. They demanded that: 1) All military recruiters leave
the Job Fair immediately; 2) UCSC join dozens of prestigious law schools
nation-wide in the Supreme Court case FAIR v Rumsfeld to oppose the Solomon
Amendment, which forces colleges to allow military recruiters, even though
it violates their own nondiscrimination policies; 3) UCSC Faculty and
Administration write a resolution promising to officially ban recruiters
from campus as soon as the Solomon Amendment is overturned; and 4) UCSC
Chancellor Denice D. Denton make a public statement denouncing military
recruitment as a violation of campus non-discrimination policies, affirming
the campus’ will to ban recruiters, once legally able to do so.

Second year student, Tom Fleming, who took part in the rally said, “I feel
that we really made a strong point today, our goals are tangible and the
pressure is now on the administration to formulate a strategy that will be
in support of the student body.”

For more information, contact Students Against War’s press team through
saw_action at yahoo.com
Photos and personal accounts can be found at:
http://santacruz.indymedia.org/feature/display/17213/index.php
Events
***********************************
10/20: Happy Hour Benefit for Commercial Alert with Matt Gonzalez and Gary
Ruskin, executive director of Commercial Alert.
Thursday, October 20
6:00pm - 8:00pm
Cafe Royale, 800 Post Street at Leavenworth
Suggested contribution: $30, $50, $100 or whatever you can afford

Commercial Alert is not your typical nonprofit. Commercial Alert's mission
is to keep the commercial culture within its proper sphere, and to prevent
it from exploiting children and subverting the higher values of family,
community, environmental integrity and democracy.

*** Read more about Commercial Alert at
http://www.commercialalert.org.

*** RSVP at
http://hq.demaction.org/dia/organizations/
commercialalert//campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=1185.

*** Donate at
https://secure.democracyinaction.org/dia/organizations/

commercialalert/shop/custom.jsp?donate_page_KEY=887.

Gary Ruskin | gary at commercialalert.org
Commercial Alert | www.commercialalert.org
Congressional Accountability Project |
www.congressproject.org
Tel. (503) 235-8012 | Fax (503) 235-5073
10/21: Art Opening Reception for Tim Gaskin
Friday, October 21st, 2005, 5-8 PM
San Francisco City Hall, 1 Carlton B Goodlett Place, Room 282
Free

Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi hosts the monthly Third Friday’s Art Reception in
his City Hall office, Room 282.
10/23: Ross and Friends Phonebanking Night
Sunday, October 23rd
5:00-8:00 pm
United Health Care Workers
1338 Mission St., 2nd Floor

With the November 8th Special Election, Arnold Schwarzenegger is bringing
the Karl Rove right-wing agenda to California. His propositions threaten a
woman's right to choose, a worker's right to organize and will bring
devestating cuts to education and health care.

Schwarzenegger is bringing in Republican operatives from across the country
to increase conservative turnout in California. It is critical that we in
San Francisco work twice as hard and double the expected voter turnout in
order to counter-act these efforts. If we all work together, we can defeat
these dangerous propositions.

Join Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi as we call San Franciscans and tell the truth
about the Special Election. For more information, call the Alliance for a
Better CA at (415) 503-5797.
10/24: Mark your calender for October 24th from 10:00am to 4:00pm
Meet at Other Avenues Food Store
3930 Judah St (between 44th & 45th)
San Francisco, CA Map
(415) 661-7475
Public Transportation: ( MUNI Judah N streetcar).

The "Pierre FRAYSSE for SUNSET/D#4 Supervisor Committee" is organizing their
first GOTV for the November 8th election; The objective is to distribute
flyers supporting the SFGP slate card and to cover every single home and
apartment in two Sunset precincts, one progressive, one conservative. Post
election results analysis will give us tremendous insights on how the
current SUNSET voters adhere to the endorsements we made and the GREEN Party
10 keys values.  Furthermore, it will give our committee local information
on how to organize and focus our coming campaign for the D#4 supervisor
seat.  WE NEED GOOD WALKERS and STAIR CLIMBERS!
10/24: Schwarzenegger Corporate Debate Protest
October 24, 2005
5:00 p.m.
Walnut Creek, Civic Park

GREEN Party activists from Alameda, San Francisco, San Mateo join the
Alliance for a better CA to protest Schwarzenegger Corporate sponsored
"debate" on FOX KTVU Channel #2.

Let's stand beside others progressives to stop CA take-over by right-wings
special interests!

For information, call Pierre FRAYSSE at 415-608-5651, or email
pbfgreens at sbcglobal.net
How to get there?  Civic Park is at the corner of North Broadway and Civic
Center Drive, a few blocks south of the Walnut Creek BART station.  The Dean
Lesher Center where the "debate" will take place is 3 blocks west from the
park, on Locust Drive.  Bring your GREEN Party Banner!
10/25: The Arab American Community in San Francisco Bay Area invites you to
An Evening with The Honorable Mayor of Bethlehem, Dr. Victor Batarseh
Tuesday, Oct. 25, 2005
7:30 PM-8:30 PM
St. Mary's Cathedral
1111 Gough St. at Franklin St.
San Francisco, 94109
Light Refreshments will be provided
For more information or to RSVP, please call 415-664-2200.

Details: The Honorable Mayor of Bethlehem, Dr. Victor Batarseh, will be
addressing the Arab American Community in San Francisco on behalf of the
Holy City of Bethlehem. A Question & Answer period will follow the Mayor's
Address.

Sponsored by: Arab Cultural & Community Center, National Council of Arab
Americans, Bethlehem Association, Palestinian American Congress, Free
Palestine Alliance, ADC-SF, General Union of Palestinian Students, Palestine
Arab Fund
10/26: Proposition 13 - Home Ownership, You and Your Neighbors
Wednesday, October 26, 2005
6:30-8:30 p.m.
Bernal Heights Library Community Room

David Giesen will be giving a public talk on the history, mechanism and
effects of Prop 13, California’s landmark property tax legislation.

Sponsored by the Henry George School
(415) 970-9306
henrygeorge.org
Joke of the Week
*************************
George W. Bush's Intelligence Quiz

While visiting England, George W. Bush is invited to tea with the Queen. He
asks her what her leadership philosophy is. She says that it is to surround
herself with intelligent people. He asks how she knows if they're
intelligent.

"I do so by asking them the right questions," says the Queen. "Allow me to
demonstrate."

She phones Tony Blair and says, "Mr. Prime Minister. Please answer this
question: Your mother has a child, and your father has a child, and this
child is not your brother or sister. Who is it?"

Tony Blair responds, "It's me, ma'am."

"Correct. Thank you and good-bye, sir," says the Queen. She hangs up and
says, "Did you get that, Mr. Bush?"

"Yes ma'am. Thanks a lot. I'll definitely be using that!"

Upon returning to Washington, he decides he'd better put the Chairman of the
Senate Foreign Relations Committee to the test. He summons Jesse Helms to
the White House and says, "Senator Helms, I wonder if you can answer a
question for me."

"Why, of course, sir. What's on your mind?"

"Uh, your mother has a child, and your father has a child, and this child is
not your brother or your sister. Who is it?"

Helms hems and haws and finally asks, "Can I think about it and get back to
you?" Bush agrees, and Helms leaves. He immediately calls a meeting of other
senior senators, and they puzzle over the question for several hours, but
nobody can come up with an answer. Finally, in desperation, Helms calls
Colin Powell at the State Department and explains his problem.

"Now look here Colin Powell, your mother has a child, and your father has a
child, and this child is not your brother, or your sister. Who is it?"
Powell answers immediately, "It's me, of course, you dumb ass."

Much relieved, Helms rushes back to the White House and exclaims, "I know
the answer, sir, it's Colin Powell!" And Bush replies in disgust, "Wrong,
you dumb ass, It's Tony Blair!"
Announcements:
*************************
Early Voting Open At City Hall

For those of you who wish to vote early, the polls at City Hall in San
Francisco are now open.  Voting will take place during normal buisness hours
at 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlet Pl. (City Hall), San Francisco, CA.  Please go
to the Elections Department in the basement to find the polling place.  If
you are not registered yet, voter regestration will be open until Nov. 2nd.

Remember, vote early, vote every election!
Emmie is Editing Announce This Week

I’m filling in as editor of Announce this week while Nicole is in transit.
(Thanks for the great instructions, Nicole!)
Become a Green Party Sustainer!

As you may know, the SFGP is supported by our wonderful sustaining donors --
175 and growing.  In the next 12 months we hope to double that figure, and
you can help us achieve our goal by signing up to make a regular
contribution to the Green Party.

Our sustainer program nearly pays all of our basic monthly operating
expenses, including rent and utilities on the office, and drastically
reduces the amount of work needed to raise money.  Our sustainers free us up
to do what we're really here for - to pursue Green values through the
democratic system. Sustainers also ensure that we are able to keep our
office, which has hosted numerous campaigns' headquarters including the
successful Prop A, Instant Runoff Voting initiative.

Becoming a Green Party sustainer is easy, fun, and secure!

Online: http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html

Phone: 415-701-7090
addressed to us won't go through. Submissions for Joke of the Week are
welcomed by the editor at ladypest at hotmail.com