[SFGP] SF Green Party Weekly

announce at sfgreens.org announce at sfgreens.org
Fri Sep 30 15:11:55 PDT 2005

SFGP WEEKLY
For The Week of 9/30/05 - 10/6/05
This Week:
News:
9/23: Between Those With Autos and Those Without
9/24: The Black 911: Bush has declared war on Black people
Events:
9/30: Protest Arnold's Veto!
10/2: Castro Street Fair
10/2: Brava Theaters Presents Truthsayers: A Hurricane Katrina Benefit with
Matt Gonzalez, Ross Mirkarimi, Lines in Analog Sound, Malik Rahim and
*more*!
10/3: Campaigns and Issues Working Group Meeting
Announcements:
Joke of the Week
"Opt-Out" Deadline for High School Students
Become A Sustainer!
News
*********************
9/23: Between Those With Autos and Those Without
Note: In China and elsewhere around the globe, the automobile is being
attacked as a symbol of inequality.
By Philip Cunningham

BEIJING -- The world is quickly being split into two hostile camps: those
with cars, and those without. Nowhere is this division more apparent than in
this city of 14 million people, where cars are pushing bicycles onto the
sidewalk and people up against the wall.
In China, the last big country nominally dedicated to the idea of social and
economic equality, the onslaught of the auto has been particularly vexing.
If Chinese were to enjoy access to automobiles on par with Americans, it
would deplete the world's known oil reserves while turning rice fields into
parking lots. China Daily recently opined, "In Beijing, some 4 million bikes
now compete for road space with more than 2 million cars, and a quick glance
at the newly widened boulevards, overpasses and ring roads of the capital
clearly shows which means of transport has been getting priority."
For more, go to: http://news.ncmonline.com/
NCM Ethnic Media Nationwide
9/24: The Black 911: Bush has declared war on Black people
by Suncere Ali Ahakur

There is total devastation in the Black community down here in New Orleans.
All the stories you hear about FEMA and the Red Cross, man, they are slow
getting to the people down here. If it wasn’t for the people on the ground,
the grassroots folks getting supplies and water and things they need, they
probably would just perish.
I’m in Algiers (a neighborhood on the West Bank across the river from
downtown New Orleans) with brother Malik Rahim. With the people he’s been
able to organize, he’s been able to save about 70 percent of the community.
You’ve got Homeland Security running up and down the streets; you’ve got
private security running up and down the streets. The Army pulled in
yesterday; now we’ve got the 82nd Airborne running up and down the streets.
For more, go to: http://www.sfbayview.com/092105/theblack911092105.shtml
***********************************
Events
***********************************
9/30: Protest Arnold's Veto
Friday, September 30th
5pm
Castro and Market

Protest Gov. Schwarzenegger's veto of the Marriage Equality Bill with dozens
of progressive groups atatewide.  Meet at 5 p.m. at Harvey Milk Plaza
(corner of Castro and Market) and then march to the LGBT Center (corner of
Market and Octavia). Contact John Lewis at (415) 377 7924 or email
sf at eqca.org.
10/2: Castro Street Fair
Sunday, October 2nd
12:00noon- 5:00pm

Join the San Francisco Green Party for a fun time at the annual Castro
Street Fair!  Enjoy the booths, the events, and the sights, and help us
register voters, collect donations, pass out literature, outreach to
District 8 and the LGBT community, and let people know that, with our
positive postion on same-sex marriage, queer rights, and pro-people
policies, that it's *easy* being Green!
Enjoy the afternoon at the Fair and then head over to the Brava Theater for
Truthsayers (see below).  This has been a tough year for registration -
every event is critical for us so please step forward.
For more information, contact Mark mwbsf at riseup.net
10/2: Brava Theaters Presents Truthsayers: A Hurricane Katrina Benefit with
Matt Gonzalez, Ross Mirkarimi, Lines in Analog Sound, Malik Rahim and
*more*!
Sunday, October 2nd
5pm- 8pm
Brava Theater Center, 2729 24th Street (at York), San Francisco,  CA
$20 -$2000 Give Œtil it hurts (no one turned away for lack of funds)

A Benefit to Rebuild Green in New Orleans  www.rebuildgreen.org
and the Vanguard Foundation¹s Peoples Hurricane Relief Fund. (Prioritizing
Children)
With Luisah Teish, Marga Gomez, Dance Brigade, Keith Hennessy, Matt
Gonzalez, Will Durst, Anne Galjour, Amara Tabor-Smith of Urban Bush Women,
Maurice Campbell, Ross Mirkarimi, Beth Custer Ensemble, Molotov Mouths,
Ahimsa Sumchai, Thea Hillman, Medea Benjamin, Lines in Analog Sound, Loco
Bloco, Lichi Fuentes
With a Report from Malik Rahim of the Green Party, New Orleans

For more information call 415 647-2822 or go to
www.brava.org
http://www.brava.org/Pages/CurrentPro.html#katrina
http://www.rebuildgreen.org
10/03: Campaigns and Issues Working Group Meeting
Monday, October 3rd
7:00pm- 9:00pm
1028A Howard St. (SFGP Office)

The Campaigns and Issues working group will be planning our slate card and
discussing ways to support the campaigns we have endorsed. Other items TBA.
Please contact Susan King (funking at mindspring.com), Marc Solomon
(marc at cybre.net), or Charlene Smythe (info at sfgreens.org) if you have an item
relevant to this working group that you would like to have on the agenda
*************************
Announcements:
*************************
Joke of the Week
(Due to massive support for this section, our staff now presents *two* jokes
each week!  Enjoy! -ed.)
What Is A Tragedy

President Bush was visiting a  primary school and he dropped in on one of
the classes. They were in the  middle of a discussion related to words and
their meanings. The teacher asked the President if he would like to lead the
discussion on the word "tragedy".  So the illustrious leader asked the
class for an example of a "tragedy".
One little boy stood up and offered: "If my best friend, who lives on a
farm, is playing in the field and a tractor runs over him and kills him that
would be a tragedy."
"No," said Bush, "that would be an accident."
A little girl raised her hand: "If a school bus carrying 50 children  drove
over a cliff, killing everyone inside, that would be a tragedy."
"I'm afraid ! not," explained the president. "That's what we would  call a
great loss."
The room went silent. No other children  volunteered. Bush searched the
room.
"Isn't there someone here who can give me an example of a tragedy?"
Finally at the back of the room a small boy  raised his hand. In a quiet
voice he said: "If Air Force One carrying you and  Mrs. Bush was struck by a
"friendly fire" missile and blown to smithereens  that would be a tragedy."
"Fantastic!" exclaimed Bush. "That's right.  And can you tell me why that
would be a tragedy?"
"Well," says the  boy, "It has to be a tragedy, because it certainly
wouldn't be a great loss  and it probably wouldn't be a fucking accident
either."

Ode To Tom DeLay (Sing to "To All The Girls I've Loved Before")
By Madeleine Begun Kane

A Rep whose name is Tom DeLay,
He breaks the rules most ev'ry day.
He don't respect the law,
Thinks ethics are a bore.
'Tis time to show him crime don't pay.

Tom practices dishonesty.
Ignores the law with joy and glee.
Misused the FBI,
Golf junkets on the sly,
How 'bout we stop his crim'nal spree...
( The entire Ode To Tom DeLay song parody is here:
http://www.madkane.com/notable01_05a.html#03_30_05)
"Opt-Out" Deadline for High School Students

Just a quick reminder to all parents of high school
seniors that the deadline for turning in the paperwork
that allows respective districts to deny military
recruiters access to the name, address and telephone
number of their child is Oct. 1. Most parents are
still unaware that per No Child Left Behind unless
parents submit necessary paperwork to "opt out",
schools must provide access of students records to
military recruiters.

Michelle Crow
Congressional District Aide
U.S. Representative Raúl M. Grijalva (AZ-7)
810 E. 22nd St, Ste 102 Tucson, AZ 85713
Phone: (520) 622-6788 - Fax: (520) 622-0198
Michelle.Crow at mail.house.gov
www.house.gov/grijalva
Become a Green Party Sustainer!

As you may know, the SFGP is supported by our wonderful sustaining donors --
175 and growing.  In the next 12 months we hope to double that figure, and
you can help us achieve our goal by signing up to make a regular
contribution to the Green Party.

Our sustainer program nearly pays all of our basic monthly operating
expenses, including rent and utilities on the office, and drastically
reduces the amount of work needed to raise money.  Our sustainers free us up
to do what we're really here for - to pursue Green values through the
democratic system. Sustainers also ensure that we are able to keep our
office, which has hosted numerous campaigns' headquarters including the
successful Prop A, Instant Runoff Voting initiative.

Becoming a Green Party sustainer is easy, fun, and secure!

Online: http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html

Phone: 415-701-7090