[SFGP] SF Green Party Weekly 4/21-4/27

announce at sfgreens.org announce at sfgreens.org
Thu Apr 20 22:33:40 PDT 2006

SF GREEN PARTY WEEKLY 4/21/06-4/27/06

NEWS:
  - 4/12: Katrina, Three Strikes and Dirty Elections, by Green Party Lt.
Governor Candidate Donna J. Warren
(http://www.sfbayview.com/neworleans/threestrikes092805.shtml)
  - 4/17: Aimee Allison, Green Party candidate for Oakland City Council,
writes about police and crime in Oakland
(http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/allison170406.h)
  - 4/17: A Tribute to Marla Ruzicka
(http://www.alternet.org/story/34978/)
  - 4/18: Healthy Saturdays Passes Unanimously; SF Green Party Among
Supporters (http://www.beyondchron.org/news/index.php?itemid=3165#more)
  - 4/18: Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi Gets Funding Approved to Save John
Swett Alternative Elementary School
(http://cbs5.com/localwire/localfsnews/bcn/2006/04/18/n/HeadlineNews/
JOHN-SWETT/resources_bcn_html)
  - 4/19: Green Party Member Joe Lynn Resigns from Ethics Commission
(http://www.sfbg.com/entry.php?entry_id=335)
  - 4/19: Bayview Redevelopment Hits Board of Supervisors
(http://www.beyondchron.org/news/index.php?itemid=3172#more)

EVENTS:
This week:
  - 4/21: Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi Hosts Art Opening Of Riley
McFerrin's Work
  - 4/22: EARTH DAY MOBILIZATION for Aimee Allison for Oakland City
Council
  - 4/23: Reception for Barry Hermanson for Assembly
  - 4/24: Salmon rally to help salmon fishermen, communities and the
Klamath River
  - 4/25: Transportation Working Group
  - 4/25: 30 years after Roe v Wade: Firsthand account by son of Ob-Gyn
Save the date:
  - 5/24: Something Fun at the Green Party Forum!!!  Join the medley of
politics and performance

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:
  - Healthy Saturdays in Golden Gate Park Wins Significant Victory
  - Attend a Hearing to Support Healthy Car-Free Saturdays in Golden
Gate Park! Also tell the San Francisco Board of Supervisors to Support
This
  - Co-Chair Needed for GROW Working Group

IN EVERY ISSUE:
  - Discuss Instant Runoff Voting in Green Party Activist Jim
Dorenkott's Blog (http://www.dailykos.com/user/jim%20d)
  - Take Action!
  - Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!
  - Become a Green Party Sustainer!

JOKE OF THE WEEK:
  - Three Years of War: A Shame on Our Nation
(http://www.bushflash.com/3.html)

EVENTS:

4/21: Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi Hosts Art Opening Of Riley McFerrin's
Work

WHEN:
Friday, April 21
5:00PM-8:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco City Hall, 1 Carlton B Goodlett Place, Room 282

DETAILS:

Please join Supervisor Mirkarimi in celebrating the 35th Anniversary of
Earth Day on April 22 with San Francisco artist Riley McFerrin.

In this new body of work titled "Let Outside Inside", Riley McFerrin
takes a closer look at the growing divide between people and
nature by combining both naturally occurring and synthetic materials in
unexpected and symbolic ways.

This body of work evokes our awkward and often helpless interactions
with nature, and contemplates life in an age where our tools of
survival are no longer as closely connected to the natural world as
they used to be.

Riley McFerrin's studio is located in Hayes Valley.  His works have
been featured at the Bucheon Gallery, the Low Gallery, Thoreau Gallery,
and the Tinhorn Gallery, in San Francisco.

---------

4/22: EARTH DAY MOBILIZATION for Aimee Allison for Oakland City Council

WHEN:
Saturday, April 22
11:00AM-3:00PM

WHERE:
Aimee Allison HQ: 3208 Grand Ave (next to the Grand Lake Theater),
Oakland

DETAILS:

Because absentee and walk-in voting starts in less than four weeks, WE
NEED HELP NOW -- so that we can elect Aimee Allison to Oakland's City
Council!

Join Aimee Allison, Green Party candidate for Oakland City Council, on
April 15, 22 amd 23 as we walk the neighborhoods to promote Aimee's
candidacy to thousands of voters!  This is a grassroots campaign
effort, so we need as many volunteers as possible to get the word out
about Aimee.  Also, former Oakland City Council member Wilson Riles
will be joining us for the 11:00 am shift on April 22 -- make a
commitment to help us out then, if you can!

Aimee is committed to:

- Advocating for a future for Oakland's youth: resources for excellent
schools and after school programs, and job and college placement
opportunties;
- Creating economic development that lasts: balancing housing and
industrial growth to create real economic development;
- Developing affordable housing for working families: mandating the
creation of affordable homes to help all Oakland residents;
- Making Oakland safer for all: demanding a responsive, accountable
police force, directing resources to addressing violent crime, and
implementing programs to address the root causes of violence in our
community.

Please confirm that you can join us.

For more info, or to RSVP, please call: (510) 986-1125.

---------

4/23: Reception for Barry Hermanson for Assembly

WHEN:
Sunday, April 23
3:00PM-5:00PM

WHERE:
1339 27th Avenue, San Francisco

DETAILS:
Join the Westside Green Club in support of Green candidates:

Barry Hermanson (State Assembly, District 12) and Nancy Lewis (Green
Party County Council)

Refreshments served. Bring family, friends and all interested voters.
Children are most welcome.  These events are sponsored by the Westside
Green Club.

---------

4/24: Salmon rally to help salmon fishermen, communities and the
Klamath River

WHEN:
Monday, April 24th
10:00 a.m.

WHERE:
Pier 47 - San Francisco

DETAILS:
This rally, held by Congressman Mike Thompson (CA-01), will bring
attention to the salmon season off the coasts of California and Oregon,
and also roll-out a disaster assistance bill that is aimed to help the
communities in need. Another aspect of the bill will have a
conservation component to help restore and monitor the salmon of the
Klamath River.

The reason for the dramatically shortened salmon season is because the
Klamath River will not meet the 35,000 natural spawner floor for
fall-run chinook for the third consecutive year. The reported result
will likely be a near closure of Oregon and California's commercial
ocean, in-river Klamath and tribal fisheries for 2006.

The impacts on the California coastal economy from last year's season,
which was cut by 60-percent due to poor Klamath River returns, combined
to a near closure of this year's season, would be catastrophic and
could very likely have permanent affects on the salmon fishing industry
and related businesses in both states.

The declining salmon populations in the Klamath River basin are due not
to over fishing by tribes, the commercial salmon fishing industry or
recreational anglers; but federal mismanagement of the Klamath River
system which hurt both farmers and fishermen. This mismanagement led to
the fish kill in 2002 when up to 78,000 adult salmon died on the
Klamath River. It also led to the outbreak of Ceratomyxa Shasta (C.
Shasta) which has reportedly infected 80-percent of juvenile salmonids.
Mortality from C. Shasta is 100-percent.

We look forward to seeing you there, and thank you in advance for your
support!

---------

4/25: Transportation Working Group

WHEN:
Tuesday, April 25
7:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St. and
7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
Regularly scheduled TWG meeting.  Supposrt Congestion Pricing study.

---------

4/25: 30 years after Roe v Wade: Firsthand account by son of Ob-Gyn

WHEN:
Tuesday, April 25
Starts 6:30PM

WHERE:
Valencia Street Books, 569 Valencia Street, San Francisco, CA 94110

INFORMATION/CONTACT:
Jonathan Birdsong, Legislative Director for Congressman Mike Thompson,
231 Cannon House Office Building, Washington, DC 20515, (202) 225-3311,
(202) 225-4335 - FAX: 415-552-7200

DETAILS:
In 1973, Eyal Press and his family arrived in Buffalo where his father,
Shalom, had accepted a three-year residency in obstetrics and
gynecology, only three weeks after the Supreme Court handed down its
decision in Roe v. Wade. Leaving Israel, a country where militants
routinely invoke religion to justify force, the family expected that
life in Buffalo would be tranquil. They weren’t prepared for what the
next three decades held in store—protesters outside their home, mock
funerals at Shalom Press’s office and the 1998 threat on his life,
which came shortly after his colleague was killed by James Kopp. The
shooting of Dr. Barnett Slepian haunted Eyal, now a journalist, and
compelled him to understand why the abortion conflict has sparked such
passion and fierce moral convictions on both sides of the issue. Hence,
his new book,"ABSOLUTE CONVICTIONS: My Father, a City, and the Conflict
that Divided America."

Hosted by Bay Area Coalition for Our Reproductive Rights.

---------

5/24: Something Fun at the Green Party Forum!!!  Join the medley of
politics and performance

WHEN:
Wednesday, May 24
7:00PM-2:00AM

WHERE:
Studio Z, 314 11th Street @ Folsom, San Francisco

CONTACT:
(415) 252-7666
www.StudioZ.tv

ADMISSION:
$5 to $500 Must be 21+, with ID No one turned away for lack of funds

DETAILS:
Join the medley of politics and performance with:  Barry Hermanson
(candidate for 12th Assembly district), Forrest Hill (candidate for
Secretary of State), Ross Mirkarimi (Supervisor, District 5), Mehul
Thakker (candidate for state treasurer), Laura Wells (candidate for
state controller), Diamond Dave Whitaker (San Francisco icon of poetry
and Greenism ...), Ubidube Whitaker (Rocker and son of icon ...), Mike
Wyman (candidate for state Attorney General), Go Van Gogh (Indy rock
band), Garrin Benfield (Indy soloist)  And more ...

==============================

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:

Healthy Saturdays in Golden Gate Park Wins Significant Victory

Thank you for helping our efforts to win more car-free space in Golden
Gate Park. Thanks to your calls & letters and thanks to more than 100
of us who spoke up at the hearing on Friday, we won unanimous support
from the Board of Supervisors' Land Use Committee for Healthy
Saturdays. (Special thanks to Supervisors McGoldrick, Mirkarimi, and
Maxwell for their crucial support.)

But it's not over yet...the Healthy Saturdays legislation heads to the
full Board next week, on April 25th. We're working for unanimous
support from the Board and the Mayor, so your help is still needed.
Please contact the on-the-fence city leaders and urge them to support
Healthy Saturdays.

---------

Co-Chair Needed for GROW Working Group

Micheas Herman of the GROW Working Group (tabling and voter
registration) is seeking a new co-chair.  Contact Micheas Herman at ...
or the County Council at cc at sfgreens.org for more information.

==============================

IN EVERY ISSUE:

Take Action!

Find out about opportunities to help our elected Greens (writing
letters, attending hearings, etc) -- subscribe to the SF Green Party
Action list! The Action list is a low-traffic list (approximately one
message per week in addition to our newsletter) telling you what you
can do to help:

---------

Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!

Two years ago, former organizers for the Matt Gonzalez for Mayor
campaign decided it was time to stop getting 'close but not close
enough' to progressive victories like public power and Matt as Mayor,
and to begin a city wide, year round, grassroots campaign that would
start helping us win such victories!

So in January 2004, the organization Our City was born. Since then we
have helped to:

- Pass the ban on old polluting diesel buses
- Pass Matt Gonzalez's anti chain store law
- Get the downtown hotel workers back on the job, and
- Get the Police and Planning Commissions put back on SF Government TV
after the City tried to pull them off.

Now we are campaigning to get rid of PG&E's monopoly on our electricity
service, and start running the City on renewable energy like solar and
wind power instead!

We have just begun hiring and training new grassroots campaigners to
help us win this fight.
No experience necessary.
Earn $280 to $400 each four day work week learning to be a strong
progressive organizer.
To apply, call Eric at 415-756-8844 from noon to 2pm any weekday, or
send an email to jobs at our-city.org

For more information, see our web site at http://our-city.org

---------

Become a Green Party Sustainer!

As you may know, the SFGP is supported by our wonderful sustaining
donors -- 175 and growing.  In the next 12 months we hope to double
that figure, and you can help us achieve our goal by signing up to make
a regular contribution to the Green Party.

Our sustainer program nearly pays all of our basic monthly operating
expenses, including rent and utilities on the office, and drastically
reduces the amount of work needed to raise money.  Our sustainers free
us up to do what we're really here for - to pursue Green values through
the democratic system. Sustainers also ensure that we are able to keep
our office, which has hosted numerous campaigns' headquarters including
the successful Prop A, Instant Runoff Voting initiative.

Becoming a Green Party sustainer is easy, fun, and secure!

For more information, see
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html