[SFGP] SF Green Party Weekly 8/31-9/5

announce at sfgreens.org announce at sfgreens.org
Wed Aug 30 00:01:56 PDT 2006

SF GREEN PARTY WEEKLY 8/31/06-9/5/06

NEWS:
- Green Party Must Rethink National Strategy, Sez Randy Shaw (http://
www.beyondchron.org/articles/
Green_Party_Must_Rethink_National_Strategy_3589.html)
- Greens Respond to Shaw's Critique (http://www.beyondchron.org/
articles/Guest_Editorial_Greens_Respond_to_Shaw_s_Critique_3608.html)
- Bob Watada, Lt. Ehren Watada's Father, Speaks in Bay Area, Aimee
Allison Supports Him (http://www.nichibeitimes.com/issues/articles/
082406/watada.html)
- Matt Gonzalez hosted Larisa Casillas and Nativo Lopez on 8/20
Sunday Salon (http://www.sundaysalon.org/archives.asp)
- Pro-War Democrats ‘Cowards,' Greens Charge (http://
www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1525)
- BeyondChron Discusses School Board Race, including Green candidates
Jane Kim and Kim Knox (http://www.beyondchron.org/news/index.php?
itemid=3621#more)
- An End to Politics as Usual: Local Green Party Fields Strong
Candidates for 11/06 (http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-
start.gem?idx=1526)
- California Close to Being First in Nation to Enact Measure to
Reform Electoral College (http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-
start.gem?idx=1523)
- Democrats Should Be ‘Ashamed' for Abandoning State's Lowest Paid
Workers in Minimum Wage Plan (http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/
newsitem-start.gem?idx=1524)

EVENTS:
This week:
- 9/2-4: SF Mime Troupe Tabling
- 9/6: Kickoff Party for Kim Knox
- 9/9: Power to the Peaceful
Next week:
- 9/10: Park Naming Ceremony, Memorial Service for Hayes Valley
Activist Patricia Walkup
- 9/10: Ready! Set! Go! Krissy Keefer Kicks Off Congressional Race
- 9/11: Special CC meeting (moved from 9/13 to accommodate our
special endorsement meeting)
- 9/13: General Membership Endorsement meeting
Save the date:
- 9/20: Final Endorsement meeting

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:
- Car-Free Talk with Green Party Activist Sue Vaughan
- Counter the Right-Wing "Walk for Life!"

IN EVERY ISSUE:
- Discuss Instant Runoff Voting in Green Party Activist Jim
Dorenkott's Blog (http://www.dailykos.com/user/jim%20d)
- Take Action!
- Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!
- Support the San Francisco Green Party by Becoming a Sustainer

JOKE OF THE WEEK:
- Spoof: Let's Bomb Iran (http://www.alternet.org/blogs/video/40956/)

EVENTS:

9/2-4: SF Mime Troupe Tabling

WHEN & WHERE:
Saturday, September 2 to Monday, September 4, 2006
12:30PM-4:30PM

WHERE:
Dolores Park, 18th & Dolores, San Francisco, CA

DETAILS:
The GROW working group will be tabling at the SF Mime Troupe
production of Godfellas at Dolores Park, also campaigning for Krissy
Keefer. Call Sue Vaughan at (415) 668-3119 if you think you can help.

For more information about the San Francisco Mime Troupe and
Godfellas, see http://www.sfmt.org/

---------

9/6: Kickoff Party for Kim Knox

WHEN:
Wednesday, September 6, 2006
6:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
Cafe Royale, 900 Post (Leavenworth), San Francisco, CA

DETAILS:
Join us in a night of heavenly jazz as we work together to create a
School Board that works with parents, educators and the community for
a better education for all students. With the Marcus Shelby Trio.

---------

9/9: Power to the Peaceful

WHEN & WHERE:
Saturday, September 9, 2006
10:00AM: Rally and March to Power to the Peaceful from Ashbury
between Oak and Fell to Speedway Meadow in Golden Gate Park, San
Francisco, CA
11:00PM-5:00PM: Rally at Speedway Meadow in Golden Gate Park, San
Francisco, CA

DETAILS:
Join CODEPINK with the Peace Ribbon Quilt, Vets for Peace,
Declaration of Peace, and Community Organizations and Families with
the message "End the War in Iraq, End the War on Our Streets, IMPEACH
BUSH AND CHENEY."

To find out more about the rally, see http://www.powertothepeaceful.org/

---------

Sunday, September 10, 2006
11:00AM

WHERE:
Hayes Green Park, Hayes and Octavia, San Francisco, CA

DETAILS:
The late Patricia Walkup, who passed away in June, was a tireless
advocate for Hayes Valley. She played a big part in changing Hayes
Valley from a crime-ridden urban blight to the delightful urban area
it is today. Her vision, drive and persistence - despite many
daunting setbacks, which she overcame - will not be forgotten.

At this memorial service, organized by friends of Patricia Walkup,
the City of San Francisco will officially name the Hayes Green Park
for her. This park has not been officially named since it opened in
the fall of 2005.

There will also be a mariachi band; in honor of Patricia Walkup's
love of the music, a Zen ceremony led by folks from the Zen Center on
Page Street, and refreshments donated by Hayes Valley cafes and
restaurants.

---------

Sunday, September 10, 2006
4:00PM

WHERE:
Medjool, 2522 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA

INFORMATION:
Contact krissyforcongress at yahoo.com or call (415) 835-4748.

DETAILS:
Hosted by Taiko drummers, Debbie Kajiyama, Jose Navarette, Amara
Tabor Smith, Ramon Alayo, Afro Cuban Modern Word.

---------

9/11: County Council Meeting

WHEN:
Monday, September 11, 2006
7:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
1028 A Howard St (between 6th St. and 7th St.), San Francisco, CA

DETAILS:
Issues to be Endorsed at this meeting, and the 9/13 and 9/20
endorsement meetings:

LOCAL Endorsements:

School Bond (outside presenter, TBA)
Elected official salary increase
Small Business Protection Act (outside presenter, TBA)

Eviction protection for Seniors

Relocation measure

Increase parking tax

STATE Initiatives and Bonds:
1D: Education funding- need presenter
1E: Disaster funding, need presenter
84: Water Quality- need presenter
88: Education funding- need presenter

CANDIDATES:
SF Board of Supervisors, Districts 2, 4, 8, 10 - need questionnaires
SF School Board-
SF Community College Board-
Assessor

---------

9/13: Special Endorsement General Meeting

WHEN:
Wednesday, September 13, 2006
7:30PM-9:30PM

WHERE:
1028 A Howard St (between 6th St. and 7th St.), San Francisco, CA

DETAILS:
See County Council meeting details.

---------

Wednesday, September 20, 2006
7:30PM-9:30PM

==============================

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:

Car-Free Talk with Green Party Activist Sue Vaughan

Keep an eye out for "Car-Free Talk" on San Francisco's public access
tv station,
Channel 29.  In the next show, David Fridley, staff scientist at
Lawrence Berkeley and member
of San Francisco Oil Awareness, discusses the myth of biofuels.

Date and time to be announced.

---------

Counter the Right-Wing "Walk for Life!"

Come to a Community Meeting to discuss how we will counter the Right
Wing "Walk for Life" coming to SF in January 2007. Please bring
yourself and your ideas to participate in building a forceful
resistance.

Date and location to be announced.

Please email the Bay Area Coalition for Reproductive Rigths at
bacorrinfo at riseup.net for more information or call 415-864-1278.

==============================

IN EVERY ISSUE:

Take Action!

Find out about opportunities to help our elected Greens (writing
letters, attending hearings, etc) -- subscribe to the SF Green Party
Action list! The Action list is a low-traffic list (approximately one
message per week in addition to our newsletter) telling you what you
can do to help:  https://list.sfgreens.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/
action

---------

Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!

Two years ago, former organizers for the Matt Gonzalez for Mayor
campaign decided it was time to stop getting 'close but not close
enough' to progressive victories like public power and Matt as Mayor,
and to begin a city wide, year round, grassroots campaign that would
start helping us win such victories!

So in January 2004, the organization Our City was born. Since then we
have helped to:

- Pass the ban on old polluting diesel buses
- Pass Matt Gonzalez's anti chain store law
- Get the downtown hotel workers back on the job, and
- Get the Police and Planning Commissions put back on SF Government TV
after the City tried to pull them off.

Now we are campaigning to get rid of PG&E's monopoly on our electricity
service, and start running the City on renewable energy like solar and
wind power instead!

We have just begun hiring and training new grassroots campaigners to
help us win this fight.
No experience necessary.
Earn $280 to $400 each four day work week learning to be a strong
progressive organizer.
To apply, call Eric at 415-756-8844 from noon to 2pm any weekday, or
send an email to jobs at our-city.org

For more information, see our web site at http://our-city.org

---------

Support the San Francisco Green Party by Becoming a Sustainer

The San Francisco Green Party needs donations for rent on the office,
mailings, signs, and many other expenditures in order to wage
effective political campaigns.

We are especially interested in building up our base of "sustaining
members," those who agree to contribute a certain amount each month
by credit card. By becoming a sustaining member you save us money and
time that we can then devote to our political work. It is a method of
donation that is perfect for a grassroots organization like the Green
Party as it allows us to thrive off of many, many small and medium
size donations instead of depending on a few large donors.

For more information, please visit the MAKE A DONATION page on the
website at http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html

For questions about the sustaining member program contact
treasurer at sfgreens.org

To make a one-time donation by mail please send a check made out to
“The San Francisco Green Party” to:

San Francisco Green Party
1028A Howard St.
San Francisco, CA 94103