[SFGP] SF Green Party Weekly 2/25-3/1

announce at sfgreens.org announce at sfgreens.org
Thu Feb 23 21:48:46 PST 2006

SF GREEN PARTY WEEKLY 2/25/06-3/1/06

NEWS:
  - 2/14: Green Senate Candidates Only Real Option For Voters Opposed To
War (http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1453)
  - 2/15: Democrats Push Bill That Would Bar Third Parties in Races for
Congress (http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1452)
  - 2/22: Controversy May End California Executions, Including Michael
Morales' (http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/022306N.shtml)

EVENTS:
  - 2/25: BANG4CHANGE 2006, SF Human & Civil Rights Revival Festival
  - 2/25: KAISAHAN/UNITY: An Evening of Resistance
  - 2/28: Transportation Working Group
  -  3/1: Support Living Wage in San Francisco
  -  3/2: NEW TIME: Feminist Issues Group
  -  3/4: 21st Annual Empowering Women of Color Conference
  - 3/17: SAVE THE DATE: San Francisco Party for Aimee Allison
  - 3/30: SAVE THE DATE: San Francisco's Annual Political Trivia Contest

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:
  - Thanks to All Who Made A Green Party for Peace @Studio Z a Success!
  - Co-Chair Needed for GROW Working Group
  - Filing Period for County Council Candidates 2/13-3/10 (for details,
see
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/events/events-itemfromhome.gem?idx=1435)
  - 2006 General Membership Survey
  - Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!
  - Become a Green Party Sustainer!

JOKE OF THE WEEK:
  - Daily Show: Cheney Shooting
(http://www.sfgreenparty.org/events/events-itemfromhome.gem?idx=1490)

EVENTS:

2/25: BANG4CHANGE 2006, SF Human & Civil Rights Revival Festival

WHEN:
Saturday, February 25
12:00PM-5:00PM

WHERE:
Civic Center Plaza, San Francisco

INFO, SPEAKER ENGAGEMENTS/TABLING
Call Mesha at 415-595-8251 or email iolmisha at cs.com. For booking
performances and vendors space, call Barry Eisenberg, Website Manager
http//groups.yahoo.com/group/BANG4CHANGE/ at 415-731-2939 or email
barryeisenberg at comcast.net

DETAILS:
Come and join the Idriss Stelley Foudation (ISF) and emcee Pam Pam for
an event that is dedicated to poor youth of color, their families,
teachers and elders. The festival seeks to educate them about human and
civil rights violations affecting their present and future, and to lay
out clear demands & concrete solutions at the government and street
level.

The festival will include music, spoken words, a Revolution Fashion
Show, speakers, ethnic market & Bang4Change Art Exhibit!

---------

2/25: KAISAHAN/UNITY: An Evening of Resistance

WHEN:
Saturday, February 25
Starts 8:00PM

WHERE:
SPACE180, located at 180 Capp Street (at 17th Street), 3rd Floor in San
Francisco

DETAILS:
Come and see hard-hitting documentaries in celebration of Philippine
Solidarity Month. Plus literary artists, punk/hip hop bands and more!

Suggested donation is $5 – 7. No one will be turned away due to lack of
funds.

Sponsored by BAYAN USA and Locus Arts, this event features these films:

"Sa Ngalan ng Tubo" (In the Name of Sugar Profit) - a film on the
Hacienda Luisita massacre in Tarlac Philippines of sugarcane plantation
farmers and workers.

"People's Verdict: 2005 International Solidarity Mission for Human
Rights in the Philippines" - This recent documentary highlights the
fact findings of 90 international delegates to the Philippines from 16
countries to bring international attention to end political repression
and state terror in the Philippines under the Arroyo regime's
undeclared and deadly state of martial law.

This event also features the following musical artists:

- Power Struggle (Nomi and DJ Deetalx of the now defunct Oddjobs).
Power Struggle has completed their debut record Arson at the Petting
Factory, released in Fall 2005.

- Echo of Bullets. What began as a simple conversation between friends,
(including Rupert Estanislao, Def Poetry Jam artist, Suicide Kings),
developed into a vehicle to bring to the forefront a positive
representation of Asian Americans in punk rock and a sharp alternative
to American mainstream culture and politics.

For more information about this event, visit
http://www.locusarts.org/calendar.html?date=25+1+2006

---------

2/28: Transportation Working Group

WHEN:
Tuesday, February 28
7:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
SF Green Party Headquarters, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St. and 7th
St.), San Francisco, CA 94103

DETAILS:
Agenda so far:

1) Howard Strassner's $5 per gallon gas tax proposal, with rebates of
update to $600 (monthly?) per household, including those without cars;
2) Proposals for legislation we would like to work on for the year --
parking permits for parking in front of driveways (JMC);
3) Greg Hayes would like to discuss the Bicycle Plan Update (he is to
bring a proposal);
4) BRT on Geary and Van Ness boulevards;
5) Proposed underground garage for Haight and Stanyan.
6) Other items.

---------

3/2: NEW TIME: Feminist Issues Group

WHEN:
Thursday, March 3
6:00PM-8:00PM

WHERE:
SF Green Party Headquarters, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St. and 7th
St.), San Francisco, CA 94103

DETAILS:
The Feminist Issues Group of the San Francisco Green Party strives to
define why feminism is important to Greens and to promote Green
feminism in all realms of Green Party activities and in our lives.

The goals of FIG are to:
- Create linkages with other Green women and progressive women;
- Build progressive coalitions;
- Promote the need for, and develop, female leadership and candidates;
- Educate Party members and the community about feminist values
- Expand the notion of women's rights/women's issues to include social
justice, economic justice and environmental justice issues;
- Work to broaden the debate and understanding of the wholesale attack
taking place against women's rights and sexual politics in the world
today; including attacks on womes health and reproductive rights, gay
and lesbian rights, Title IX, public assistance and other issues.

FIG advocates for stronger local, state and national policy initiatives
affecting women's rights; increasing the visibility and leadership of
progressive women; and helping to secure electoral victories and
political appointments for progressive women.

FIG also endorses and actively participates in local organizing
efforts, public mobilizations and coalition-building efforts to improve
the status of women.

And finally, FIG produces educational and awareness raising events
designed to build bridges among political women and encourage their
active participation in local politics.

For more information, please contact:
Vicki Leidner, Co-Chair, vleidner at rcn.com

---------

3/1: Support Living Wage in San Francisco

WHEN and WHERE:
Wednesday, March 1
12 noon – Rally, City Hall Steps – Civic Center Side
1PM – Hearing, City Hall, room 263
Take MUNI lines #49 or 47 to McAllister or Grove, #5 or #21 to Van Ness
Avenue

DETAILS:
Support the Ammiano/McGoldrick Amendments to the Living Wage Law.

Non-profit and homecare workers should not be treated as second-class
and should be paid the same as for-profit workers on city contracts.

The City should commit to funding non-profits to create more living
wage jobs.

CalWORKs mothers in the welfare-to-work transition should get a living
wage. The government should not subsidize employers to pay poverty
wages.

The City should treat workfare workers with respect and base their
grant on the living wage.

---------

3/4: 21st Annual Empowering Women of Color Conference

WHEN:
Saturday, March 4
Registration 8:30-9:30AM
Conference starts 9:30 AM

WHERE:
UC Berkeley campus in Barrows Hall. Barrows Hall is accessible from
Bancroft Way between Telegraph Ave and Bowditch St, northeast from
Sproul Hall. Wheelchair accessible.

INFORMATION, HOW TO REGISTER: Pre-register online at
http://ewocc.berkeley.edu starting February 5th or in-person on the day
of the event beginning at 8 a.m in Barrows Hall.

DETAILS:
This year marks the 21st anniversary of the Empowering Women of Color
Conference (EWOCC), which is acknowledged to be the longest running
women of color conference in the country. Past speakers have included
Nikki Giovanni, bell hooks, Angela Davis, Alice Walker, and Sonia
Sanchez, among many others.

This year's theme will be Nourishing Mother E.A.R.T.H, or environmental
justice. Featured will be Dr. Beverly Wright, Founder and Director of
the Deep South Center for Environmental Justice at Xavier University
located in New Orleans, Louisiana, and a panel of five amazing
environmental justice women of color activists:

  - Enei Begaye, Diné (Navajo) with the Black Mesa Water Coalition,
Native Movement Collective, and Indigenous Environmental Network
  - Dr. Jenice View, Education and Train! ing Director of Just
Transition Alliance
  - Sarah James, Board Member of the Gwich’in Institute
  - Dr. Ann Aurelia López, Professor at the University of California,
Berkeley, Department of Environmental Science, Policy and Management
  - Carla M. Perez, Community Organizer for Contra Costa Communities for
a Better Environment.

There will also be workshops, cultural performances, and much, much
more.

---------

3/17: SAVE THE DATE: San Francisco Party for Aimee Allison

WHEN:
Friday, March 17th (St. Patrick's Day) Wear your Green!
7:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
The home of Vicki Leidner and John Radogno
770 Shotwell St/22nd St
San Francisco, CA 94110

RSVP:
Vicki at 415-648-5050
vleidner at rcn.com

DETAILS:

Hosted by:
- Mark Sanchez, San Francisco School Board Commissioner*
- Nancy Mancias, CODEPINK San Francisco Coordinator*
- Vicki Leidner, counter-recruitment activist with CODEPINK*, committee
for College Not Combat*, FIG

Co-hosts include:
- Tom Ammiano, San Francisco Supervisor*
- Carol Brouillet, Deception Dollars, 9-11 Truth activist*
- David Campos, San Francisco Police Commissioner*
- Elizabeth Creely, BACORR*
- Chris Daly, San Francisco Supervisor*
- Marie Harrison, Greenaction*
- Krissy Keifer, Mission Dance
- Jane Kim, CCDC*
- Whitney Leigh, Gonzalez and Leigh LLP
- Sarah Lipson, San Francisco School Board Commissioner*
- Christina Olague, San Francisco Planning Commision*

Photography Exhibit Courtesy Happy/L.A. Hyder

evite and more details to follow very soon
*for identification purposes only

---------

3/30: SAVE THE DATE: San Francisco's Annual Political Trivia Contest

WHEN:
Thursday, March 30th
7:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
Cafe Royale, 800 Post Street, San Francisco

DETAILS:
With invited guests Supervisors Ross Mirkarimi Jake McGoldrick, Tom
Ammiano and Chris Daly as well as School Board Commissioners Mark
Sanchez and Eric Mar.

This is a fundraiser for the Harvey Milk LBGT Democratic Club, one of
only two Democratic clubs who will endorse Greens in nonpartisan races
and who recently had its charter threatened for endorsing Matt Gonzalez
for Mayor and other elected Greens.  $5 per person or $20 for a team of
four or more.

==============================

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:

Thanks to All Who Made A Green Party for Peace @Studio Z a Success!

Dear Fellow Greens and Green-Identifiers:

We had a very enjoyable and successful event on January 26 at Studio Z.
  We look forward to doing more events there and elsewhere and hope that
you continue to participate in our efforts to spread the Green message.
  Thanks for your support!

---------

Co-Chair Needed for GROW Working Group

Micheas Hermn of the GROW Working Group (tabling and voter
registration) is seeking a new co-chair.  Contact Micheas Herman at ...
or the County Council at cc at sfgreens.org for more information.

---------

2006 General Membership Survey

The County Council is conducting a survey of San Francisco Green Party
members to get your opinion on several issues to help us plan and set
goals for the party in 2006.  Results will be discussed at a future
General Meeting.  You can get a copy of the survey online at the
following link, and respond to us by email:

http://www.sfgreenparty.org/events/events-itemfromhome.gem?idx=1464

---------

Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!

Two years ago, former organizers for the Matt Gonzalez for Mayor
campaign decided it was time to stop getting 'close but not close
enough' to progressive victories like public power and Matt as Mayor,
and to begin a city wide, year round, grassroots campaign that would
start helping us win such victories!

So in January 2004, the organization Our City was born. Since then we
have helped to:

- Pass the ban on old polluting diesel buses
- Pass Matt Gonzalez's anti chain store law
- Get the downtown hotel workers back on the job, and
- Get the Police and Planning Commissions put back on SF Government TV
after the City tried to pull them off.

Now we are campaigning to get rid of PG&E's monopoly on our electricity
service, and start running the City on renewable energy like solar and
wind power instead!

We have just begun hiring and training new grassroots campaigners to
help us win this fight.
No experience necessary.
Earn $280 to $400 each four day work week learning to be a strong
progressive organizer.
To apply, call Eric at 415-756-8844 from noon to 2pm any weekday, or
send an email to jobs at our-city.org

For more information, see our web site at http://our-city.org

---------

Become a Green Party Sustainer!

As you may know, the SFGP is supported by our wonderful sustaining
donors -- 175 and growing.  In the next 12 months we hope to double
that figure, and you can help us achieve our goal by signing up to make
a regular contribution to the Green Party.

Our sustainer program nearly pays all of our basic monthly operating
expenses, including rent and utilities on the office, and drastically
reduces the amount of work needed to raise money.  Our sustainers free
us up to do what we're really here for - to pursue Green values through
the democratic system. Sustainers also ensure that we are able to keep
our office, which has hosted numerous campaigns' headquarters including
the successful Prop A, Instant Runoff Voting initiative.

Becoming a Green Party sustainer is easy, fun, and secure!

For more information, see
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html