[SFGP] Fwd: Ross Mirkarimi's Third Firday's Art Opening January 20th

announce at sfgreens.org announce at sfgreens.org
Sun Jan 15 15:38:50 PST 2006

Hi all:

Sorry this wasn't in the SF GREEN PARTY WEEKLY 1/15/05 - 1/21/05
newsletter...I didn't get this until after I sent the newsletter out.

This will be a good event to attend before Matt's benefit:

---------

1/20: Ross Mirkarimi's Third Firday's Art Opening

WHEN:
Friday, January 20
5:00PM-8:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco City Hall, 1 Carlton B Goodlett Place, Room 282, San
Francisco

DETAILS:
Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi hosts the monthly Third Friday’s Art
Reception in his City Hall office. This month's featured artist is Andy
Diaz Hope.

Andy Diaz Hope, a Bay Area native, questions the stereotypes and
cliches circulated by popular media. By refabricating the form in which
we sustain our self-image and protect ourselves from our image as an
enemy, Diaz Hope wants to draw our attention to the threads with which
our very social fabric is bound and fashioned. Often funny and always
telling, his work permits candid interactions to deconstruct our
stereotypes, prejudices and preconceived notions, be they conscious  or
not.

Diaz Hope has shown his work in the MoMA permanent collection, the
Museum of Contemporary Art Denver, the National Gallery of Victoria in
Australia, and the London Crafts Counsil, as well as in numerous shows
throughout the United States, England, Australia and Japan. You can
view his work online at www.andydiazhope.com.

---------

1/20: HEAR THIS! A Spoken Word Event

WHEN:
Friday, January 20
Starts 8:00PM

WHERE:
SLIMS, 333 11th St. @ Folsom, San Francisco

DETAILS:
This special evening of spoken word features the talents of Matt
Gonzalez, Jello Biafra, Barbara Becnel, Todd Chretien, Jack Hirschman,
Sarah Lipson, Jonathan Richman, Daisy Zamora, Kevin Zeese, plus special
musical guest Tom Heyman & DJ Superchill.

Tickets are $12. To purchase them, go to http://www.slims-sf.com/,
click the Show Sched. button (which will take you to the calendar of
events at Slims), click information by HEAR THIS!, and choose either
virtuous.com or tickets.com. Or you can just go to these sites
directly.