[SFGP] SF Green Party Weekly 6/2-6/8

announce at sfgreens.org announce at sfgreens.org
Thu Jun 1 00:26:36 PDT 2006

SF GREEN PARTY WEEKLY 6/2/06-6/8/06

NEWS:
  - 5/30: Aimee Allison is a Rising Star in Oakland's Time of Darkness
(http://www.berkeleydaily.org/text/article.cfm?issue=05-30
-06&storyID=24281)
  - 5/25: Allison's Strategy Involves Fighting For The Little Guy
(http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1495)
  - 5/25: Krissy Keefer Officially Launches Campaign Bid for Congress
(http://www.sanfranciscosentinel.com/news_in_brief/
keefer_launches_campaign_060525.shtml)
  - 5/24: Endorsements: The Greens
(http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1493)
  - 5/24: Democratizing the Legislature – Proportional Representation,
by Green Candidate Forrest Hill
(http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1496)
  - 5/24: San Fernando Green Byron De Lear Joins Daryl Hannah, Julia
Butterfly Hill, Joan Baez to Save South Central Farm
(http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1497)
  - 5/24: Vote To Overturn Golden Gate Park Carmageddon Veto Fails
(http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1498)
  - 5/19: Gavin Newson Invokes the Will of the Voters – But Only If
Convenient, by Matt Gonzalez
(http://www.beyondchron.org/news/index.php?itemid=3296)

EVENTS:
This week:
  - 6/1: Feminist Issues Group Meeting
  - 6/5: Monday Mobilization for Aimee Allison
  - 6/6: Housing and Land Use Working Group meeting
  - 6/6: Victory Party for Aimee Allison!
  - 6/7: Rules Committee Meeting
  - 6/8: Animal Advocacy Working Group Meeting
Next week:
  - 6/10: Sixth Street Fair: contact Sue Vaughan at
susan_e_vaughan at yahoo.com to help
  - 6/11: Haight Ashbury Festival: contact Sue Vaughan at
susan_e_vaughan at yahoo.com to help
Save the date:
  - 6/16: "Let’s Put Harvey Milk Back in City Hall!" Supervisor Ross
Mirkarimi Hosts Art Opening Celebrating SF LGBT Pride Month
  - 6/17-18: Juneteenth: contact Sue Vaughan at
susan_e_vaughan at yahoo.com to help
  - 6/18: Women on the Frontlines
  - 6/18: Campaign Training for Women, Sponsored by FIG
  - 6/25: San Francisco Pride Parade: contact Sue Vaughan at
susan_e_vaughan at yahoo.com to help

ACTION ALERTS & ANNOUNCEMENTS:
  - Volunteer for Aimee Allison From Now to June 6; Victory is Possible!
  - Co-Chair Needed for GROW Working Group

IN EVERY ISSUE:
  - Left Talk with Diamond Dave!
  - Discuss Instant Runoff Voting in Green Party Activist Jim
Dorenkott's Blog (http://www.dailykos.com/user/jim%20d)
  - Take Action!
  - Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!
  - Become a Green Party Sustainer!

JOKE OF THE WEEK:
  - Move George Bush Screensaver
(http://www.planetdan.net/pics/misc/georgie.htm)

EVENTS:

6/1: Feminist Issues Group Meeting

WHEN:
Thursday, June 1
Starts 6:30PM

WHERE:
Wild Awakenings, 142 McAllister, San Francisco

DETAILS:
Feminist Issues Group meets the first Thursday of every month.  In
addition to lively discussions about pertinent issues, we are planning
an event at *Brava Theatre on June 18 and an "INDEPENDENCE from
republicans and democrats" film marathon  for 4th of July weekend.
Everyone welcome.

There will also be "FIG's Campaign Training for Women" at the Brava
Theater on June 18 (see further down).

---------

6/5: Monday Mobilization for Aimee Allison

WHEN:
Monday, June 5

Meet at office 4:30-5:30 p.m.
Enjoy some snacks and help out as we gather for Mobilization at 5:30 PM

After 5:30PM:
Overpass action:  30 foot banner is ready for us.
Grand Lake Theater: plenty of signs available.

WHERE:
3208 Grand Ave, next to the Grand Lake Theater, Oakland

Directions:

By transit: BART to the 19th BART station. AC Transit bus #12 picks up
at Grand Ave, and drops off at the Grand Lake Theater; the NL Bus picks
up at Broadway and 20th and goes to Lake Park Ave, across the street
from the Grand Lake Theater. (transit runs about every 30 minutes on
each line on the weekends, go to http://www.actransit.org for the
schedule).

BART and biking/walking: BART to the 19th Street station. Walk/bike up
20th Ave towards Lake Merritt, go left around the lake (look for the
colorful Fairyland sign on the hill above the lake) and continue East
around the lake on Grand Ave, past several blocks of storefronts and
back along the lake until you see the Grand Lake Theater sign. The walk
takes about 20-25 minutes and about 10 minutes by bike.

Driving : Take the 580 Fwy East to the Grand Ave/Lakeview St. exit.
Turn Left on Grand Ave. (From East Oakland and south of Oakland take
580 West).  If possible, please try to carpool if you are driving!
Parking is available on Grand Ave, under the freeway and in the parking
lot off Grand Ave, meters are active until 6 pm Monday-Saturday, but is
free on Sundays.

CONTACT, INFORMATION:
Call the Aimee Allision Campaign Headquarters (510-277-0182) to get
involved to be a part of this important victory!
Susan King can also be reached on her cell at 415-823-5524 to arrange
for transportation from BART

DETAILS:
"Pink and Green"  Women and Allies Visibility Mobilization for Aimee
Allison Election Eve.

Please join Medea Benjamin, volunteers from CODEPINK and Green Party
Women and Supporters at the campaign headquarters for Aimee.
Meet at office 4:30-5:30 p.m.
at the end of this message).

All volunteers, donors, and supporters are invited to the Election
Night Party on June 6th at Oasis Bar and Restaurant in downtown Oakland
beginning at 8pm at 135 12th St, Oakland, CA.

---------

6/6: Housing and Land Use Working Group meeting

WHEN:
Tuesday, June 6
7:30PM-9:30AM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St. and
7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
Tuesday's agenda includes:

Most of the evening will be spent working on the Housing platform for
San Francisco, along with discussion of the Mayor Newsome's plan to add
15,000 housing units in 5 years;

Currents Events and Legislation;

Any other topics you want to discuss;

Announcements

Everyone welcomed, Green Party member or not.

---------

6/6: Victory Party for Aimee Allison!

WHEN:
Tuesday, June 6
Starts 8:00PM

WHERE:
Oasis Bar and Restaurant in Downtown Oakland, 2101 Webster St, Oakland,
CA

DETAILS:

A Better World Begins in Oakland!All volunteers, donors, and supporters
are invited to this Election Night Party.

Aimee Allison, Green Party candidate for Oakland's City Council is
proud to invite you to our victory party on June 6th. Thanks to the
hard work of many dedicated activists from around the Bay, Aimee is
poised for a grassroots victory this June. We hope that you join us in
our final push to win this important race (see previous post) and then
join us as we celebrate our hard work at our victory party.

---------

6/7: Rules Committee Meeting

WHEN:
Wednesday, June 7
7:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St. and
7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:

The Rules Cmte will hold our regularly scheduled meeting (1st Wednesday
of the month) to discuss new bylaws amendments and other potential
clarifications to the bylaws.

---------

6/8: Animal Advocacy Working Group Meeting

WHEN:
Thursday, June 8
7:30PM-9:15PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St. and
7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:

The Animal Advocacy Working Group is involved in animal issues of San
Francisco. The Ten Key Values apply to protecting the welfare of
non-human animals. Of course, all are welcome.

For more information, email Rosalind Lord at rclord at seaserpent.com

---------

6/10: Sixth Street Fair

WHEN:
Saturday, June 10, 2006

WHERE:
Sixth Street, San Francisco

DETAILS:

The San Francisco Green Party will be tabling at the Sixth Street Fair.
Contact Sue Vaughan at 668-3119 if you can help table.

---------

Sunday, June 11, 2006

WHERE:
Haight Ashbury Street, San Francisco

DETAILS:

The SFGP will be tabling at this fun annual event. Contact Sue Vaughan
at 668-3119 if you can help haul our booth and other supplies to and
from this event or of you want to help table.

---------

6/16: "Let’s Put Harvey Milk Back in City Hall!" Supervisor Ross
Mirkarimi Hosts Art Opening Celebrating SF LGBT Pride Month

WHEN:
Friday, June 16, 2006, 5-8 pm
Show runs through July 19, 2006

WHERE:
San Francisco City Hall, 1 Carlton B Goodlett, Room 282

DETAILS:

This art party and show, hosted by Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi, features
Harvey Milk related photographs and memorabilia contributed by: the San
Francisco Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Historical Society;
San Francisco Performing Arts Library and Museum; and the Harvey Milk
City Hall Memorial Committee (photographer Daniel Nicoletta, Nancy
McNally, San Francisco artist and founder of the National AIDS Memorial
Grove in Golden Gate Park, and Rick Hauptman.)

Harvey Milk, one of nation’s first openly gay elected officials in the
nation, became a hero to the LGBT civil rights movement. He was
assassinated at SF City Hall in 1978. To honor his achievements, the
Harvey Milk City Hall Memorial Committee, a non-profit organization,
was formed to commission a sculpture of Supervisor Harvey Milk to be
placed in City Hall.

For more information, go to http://www.milkmemorial.org/.

Please join Supervisor Mirkarimi in celebrating SF LGBT Pride Month,
and in taking another step toward putting Harvey Milk back in City
Hall.

---------

6/17-18: Juneteenth

WHEN:
Saturday, June 17, 2006
Sunday, June 18, 2006

WHERE:
Fillmore and Eddy Streets, San Francisco

DETAILS:

The San Francisco Green Party will be tabling at this enjoyable event
on Fillmore at Eddie in the heart of San Francisco's historic Jazz
District. Contact Sue Vaughan at 668-3119 if you can help haul the
booth and other materials to and from the office or if you can table.

---------

6/18: Women on the Frontlines

WHEN:
Sunday, June 18, 2006
2:00 PM

WHERE:
Church of Divine Man, 2018 Allston Way, Berkeley, CA 94704

ADMISSION:
$10 Donation Requested
$5 Students

CONTACT, INFORMATION:
For more information, contact: Elana Auerbach at era at peacexpeace.org
Please visit: www.peacexpeace.org

DETAILS:

We are hosting an event where we will be screening our eye-opening and
inspirational documentary film: "Women on the Frontlines."

Focusing on two women in each country, this documentary takes viewers
into the lives of women who are engaged in often-ignored aspects of
peace building. This emotionally charged feature provides an exclusive
view of the world through the eyes of ten strong, determined, and
compassionate women, who are transforming both their communities and
themselves into a new culture of peace.

Screening followed by Circle discussion
Women, Men and Children are all invited to attend.

 From Peace x Peace, Bay Area Hub Circle

---------

Sunday, June 18, 2006
1:00PM-4:00PM

WHERE:
Brava Theatre, 2781 24th Street, San Francisco

ADMISSION:
Admission is $5 for SF Greens and $10 for all others.

DETAILS:
Learn about organizing a grassroots campaign, including fundraising,
campaign filings and publicity, from a very diverse panel of experts.

Full schedule:

1:15-1:45-"Tools for Activists" with Joe Lynn
1:45-2:15-Fundraising with Darcy Brown
2:15-2:45-Ethics and Campaign Filing with Oliver Luby
2:45-3:15-Grassroots Campaigns with Sue Vaughan, Boris Delepine and Kim
Knox
3:15-4:00-How to Shine as a Candidate-Barbara Blong, Terry Baum, Jane
Kim and Renee Saucedo (invited)

---------

Sunday, June 25, 2006

WHERE:
Fillmore and Eddy Streets, San Francisco

DETAILS:
The San Francisco Green Party will be participating in the parade this
year as usual. We need a minimum of two contigent monitors. You must go
to the hour-long workshop at the Women's Building (or elsewhere) in
order to be certified as a contigent monitor. Let Sue Vaughan know if
you are willing to be a contigent monitor. 668-3119.

==============================

ACTION ALERTS & ANNOUNCEMENTS:

Volunteer for Aimee Allison From Now to June 6; Victory is Possible!

We are down to the final two weeks of the June election season, and
Aimee Allison is close to becoming the first Green Party member elected
to Oakland's City Council.

Recent polling indicates that Aimee is running virtually neck-to-neck
with her main opponent, incumbent Pat Kernighan, so we have a real shot
at victory this June. In order to win, however, we need strong
volunteer turnout these last two weeks of the campaign.

This means that we need every active Green to commit to working at
least one volunteer shift between now and the final weekend of the
campaign, and an additional few hours Sun, Mon, Tues, June 4-6 to help
put us over the top.

We really need as many volunteers and as much presence as possible!
Please take a look at the schedule below and contact the campaign to
let us know when you are coming.

The campaign phone is 510-277-0182; we are located at 3208 Grand Ave
next to the Grand Lake Theater in Oakland (car free and driving
directions are at the end of this post).

VOLUNTEER SHIFTS:

WEEKDAY VISIBILITY: 7-9 am. We need at least one volunteer every
morning to both accompany Aimee and work in volunteer teams to meet
voters in high traffic pedestrian areas. We need volunteers for May 30,
31, June 1,2, 5 and 6.

WEEKDAY VISIBILITY: 5-7 PM. Volunteers are needed to both accompany
Aimee and work in volunteer teams at high visibility locations and to
do sign waving and visibility at busy intersections. We need volunteers
the following days: May 24, 25, 26 (Grand Lake Theater visibility on
Friday night), 29, 30, 31, June 1, 4, 5 and 6.

WEEKDAY CALLING: 12-8:30 pm daily (Mon-Thurs). We are calling District
2 voters to identify support and persuade undecided voters. Calling
begins at 12 each day (to seniors) and continues until 8:30 each night.
Callers are needed every day and evening. Meals and yummy snacks are
provided.

WEEKEND MOBILIZATIONS: Beginning 10 am Saturday and 12:00 noon on
Sundays. We will be phone banking and dispatching volunteers to lit
drop and do visibility the last two weekends, May 27-29 (Memorial Day
Weekend) and June 3-4 (Get Out The Vote Weekend). We need as many
volunteers as possible all day on both weekends.

GOTV- Get Out The Vote: June 5-6. We will be doing GOTV activities the
final weekend AND Monday and Tuesday, June 5 and 6th. We need
volunteers who can commit to 6 hour shifts on Monday and Tuesday-
election day- to help make sure our supporters make it to the polls.
Please consider taking some time off work to help on either or both of
these days if you can.

All volunteers, donors, and supporters are invited to the Election
Night Party on June 6th at Oasis Bar and Restaurant in downtown Oakland
beginning at 7pm at 2101 Webster St, Oakland, CA.

PLEASE PLAN TO COMMIT TO AT LEAST ONE SHIFT THIS ELECTION!

Call the campaign today to get involved to be a part of this important
Green victory.

DIRECTIONS TO THE AIMEE ALLISON HEADQUARTERS:

By Transit: BART to the 19th BART station. AC Transit bus #12 picks up
at Grand Ave, and drops off at the Grand Lake Theater; the NL Bus picks
up at Broadway and 20th and goes to Lake Park Ave, across the street
from the Grand Lake Theater. (transit runs about every 30 minutes on
each line on the weekends, go to http://www.actransit.org for the
schedule).

BART and biking/walking: BART to the 19th Street station. Walk/bike up
20th Ave towards Lake Merritt, go left around the lake (look for the
colorful Fairyland sign on the hill above the lake) and continue East
around the lake on Grand Ave, past several blocks of storefronts and
back along the lake until you see the Grand Lake Theater sign. The walk
takes about 20-25 minutes and about 10 minutes by bike.

Driving: Take the 580 Fwy East to the Grand Ave/Lakeview St. exit. Turn
Left on Grand Ave. Please try to carpool if you are driving. Parking is
available on Grand Ave, under the freeway and in the parking lot off
Grand Ave, meters are active Monday-Saturday, and is free on Sundays.

---------

Co-Chair Needed for GROW Working Group

Micheas Herman of the GROW Working Group (tabling and voter
registration) is seeking a new co-chair.  Contact Micheas Herman at ...
or the County Council at cc at sfgreens.org for more information.

==============================

IN EVERY ISSUE:

Left Talk with Diamond Dave!

Tune in to a round table discussion of progressive issues from the
Green perspective (represented by Diamond Dave Whitaker) and the ISO
perspective. 88.1 FM or 880 AM, every Friday from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30
p.m. Hosted by Spencer the Speaker.

---------

Take Action!

Find out about opportunities to help our elected Greens (writing
letters, attending hearings, etc) -- subscribe to the SF Green Party
Action list! The Action list is a low-traffic list (approximately one
message per week in addition to our newsletter) telling you what you
can do to help:

---------

Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!

Two years ago, former organizers for the Matt Gonzalez for Mayor
campaign decided it was time to stop getting 'close but not close
enough' to progressive victories like public power and Matt as Mayor,
and to begin a city wide, year round, grassroots campaign that would
start helping us win such victories!

So in January 2004, the organization Our City was born. Since then we
have helped to:

- Pass the ban on old polluting diesel buses
- Pass Matt Gonzalez's anti chain store law
- Get the downtown hotel workers back on the job, and
- Get the Police and Planning Commissions put back on SF Government TV
after the City tried to pull them off.

Now we are campaigning to get rid of PG&E's monopoly on our electricity
service, and start running the City on renewable energy like solar and
wind power instead!

We have just begun hiring and training new grassroots campaigners to
help us win this fight.
No experience necessary.
Earn $280 to $400 each four day work week learning to be a strong
progressive organizer.
To apply, call Eric at 415-756-8844 from noon to 2pm any weekday, or
send an email to jobs at our-city.org

For more information, see our web site at http://our-city.org

---------

Become a Green Party Sustainer!

As you may know, the SFGP is supported by our wonderful sustaining
donors -- 175 and growing.  In the next 12 months we hope to double
that figure, and you can help us achieve our goal by signing up to make
a regular contribution to the Green Party.

Our sustainer program nearly pays all of our basic monthly operating
expenses, including rent and utilities on the office, and drastically
reduces the amount of work needed to raise money.  Our sustainers free
us up to do what we're really here for - to pursue Green values through
the democratic system. Sustainers also ensure that we are able to keep
our office, which has hosted numerous campaigns' headquarters including
the successful Prop A, Instant Runoff Voting initiative.

Becoming a Green Party sustainer is easy, fun, and secure!

For more information, see
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html