[SFGP] SF Green Party Weekly 6/23-6/29

announce at sfgreens.org announce at sfgreens.org
Thu Jun 22 00:06:06 PDT 2006

SF GREEN PARTY WEEKLY 6/23/06-6/29/06

NEWS:
- Latest Results in Aimee Allison's Race! (http://www.acgov.org/rov/
current_election/index.htm, click City, Oakland, Councilmember,
District No. 2)
- John Rizzo Announces Candidacy for City College Board (http://
www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1503)

EVENTS:
This week:
- 6/24: Krissy Keefer Joins the Dyke March
- 6/25: San Francisco Pride Parade: contact Sue Vaughan at
susan_e_vaughan at yahoo.com to help
Next week:
- 6/29-7/22: Terry Baum in “BAUM FOR PEACE or How I Learned to Stop
Worrying & Love Democracy”
Save the date:
- 7/22: Protest at Bohemian Grove!

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:
- Co-Chair Needed for GROW Working Group

IN EVERY ISSUE:
- Left Talk with Diamond Dave!
- Discuss Instant Runoff Voting in Green Party Activist Jim
Dorenkott's Blog (http://www.dailykos.com/user/jim%20d)
- Take Action!
- Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!

JOKE OF THE WEEK:
- NSA Wiretapping (http://www.newsday.com/news/opinion/ny-wh-
nsawiretapping,0,1906650.flash)

EVENTS:

6/24: Krissy Keefer Joins the Dyke March

WHEN:
Friday, June 24, 2006
3:00 PM

WHERE:
Dolores Park, San Francisco

CONTACT, INFORMATION:
Contact Sue Vaughan at susan_e_vaughan at yahoo.com to help

DETAILS:
Join Krissy on Dolores at the corner of 18th Street at 3 p.m.

Krissy Keefer for Congress Campaign joins the 14th annual San
Francisco Dyke March.  Supporters will meet at 3 p.m. at Dolores Park
to carry signs and distribute literature and celebrate feminist freedom.

---------

Sunday, June 25, 2006
Starts 10:30AM

WHERE:
Howard and Beale Streets, San Francisco

DETAILS:
The San Francisco Green Party will be participating in the parade
this year as usual. John-Marc Chandonia and Sue Vaughan will be the
monitors. Our contingent number is 173. We are supposed to depart by
11:30 -- maybe later, maybe earlier. See you there.

---------

6/29-7/22: Terry Baum in “BAUM FOR PEACE or How I Learned to Stop
Worrying & Love Democracy”

WHEN:
June 29-7/22, 2006
8:00PM

WHERE:
The Marsh
1062 Valencia Street
San Francisco, CA 94110

ADMISSION:
$15 - $22 sliding scale, $10 student rush on Thursday at the door

CONTACT, INFORMATION
Tel. 415 826 5750

DETAILS:
The Marsh presents slightly world-renowned lesbian playwright Terry
Baum in “BAUM FOR PEACE or How I Learned to Stop Worrying & Love
Democracy.” This new comedy describes Baum’s adventures as the Green
candidate for U.S. Congress in San Francisco in 2004 during which she
received the highest percentage of the vote of any small-party write-
in candidate for Congress in history: 2.9%! Inspired to run because
she believed that San Franciscans deserved a peace candidate, Baum
faced impossible odds, beginning with a fight to get her name on the
ballot. Accompanied by Scrumbly Koldewyn on the piano, she uses
farce, song and self-mockery to take the audience on a wild journey
through electoral politics that is up-close and personal, hilarious,
infuriating and always surprising. “BAUM FOR PEACE” is directed by
Bobbi Ausubel, with songs by David Hyman and Scrumbly Koldewyn.

Lauded as “the lesbian Woody Allen” by the San Francisco Chronicle,
Terry Baum has had her plays produced in 11 countries and five
languages. When “BAUM FOR PEACE” played in Ashland, Oregon, reviews
described it as “Just the ticket for laughs” and “A compelling story
told with warm-hearted wit.” Critics have compared Baum to Norman
Mailer, Lily Tomlin, Spalding Gray, Eve Arden, Hunter Thompson, and
Godzilla – although never in the same review.

---------

7/22: Protest at Bohemian Grove!

WHEN:
July 22, 2006
8:00PM

WHERE:
Monte Rio on the Russian River, Sonoma County, CA

CONTACT, INFORMATION:
http://www.sonomacountyfreepress.com and click on Bohemian Grove, or
call 707-874-2248 or 415-567-4577

RIDES:
Call 415-821-6545 for ride information from San Francisco.

DETAILS:
Protest the Ruling Elite- Impeach the Bohemians!

Join Bohemian Grove Action Network, ANSWER Coalition, SF,  Green
Party of California, International Indian Treaty Council, United Farm
Workers and many others who will demonstrate at Bohemian Grove, the
annual summer retreat for the wealthiest, most powerful men in the
world.

Bohemian Grove revelers include those who prosper from war, and keep
labor costs low by ruling some workers "illegal." Yes, they are who
you think they are.

Join the call:  End the War for Oil abroad, Justice for Immigrants at
home and immediately Impeach the President and All his Men, many of
whom are regular grove guests and members.

1  P.M.- Rally, speakers, music
2 P.M.- March to the Bohemian Grove Gate
4-10 P.M.-  Dinner and evening event at Monte Rio Amphitheater (not
confirmed at this writing)

==============================

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:

Aimee Allison Campaign Update: Allison To Face Kernighan in 11/7 Runoff

Unofficial results with 100% of precincts reporting.
Patricia Kernighan  3,429    47.3%
Aimee Allison       2,700    37.2%
Shirley Gee         1,115    15.4%
Aimee Allison will face Patricia Kernighan in a runoff on November 7th.

---------

Co-Chair Needed for GROW Working Group

Micheas Herman of the GROW Working Group (tabling and voter
registration) is seeking a new co-chair.  Contact Micheas Herman
at ... or the County Council at cc at sfgreens.org for more information.

==============================

IN EVERY ISSUE:

Left Talk with Diamond Dave!

Tune in to a round table discussion of progressive issues from the
Green perspective (represented by Diamond Dave Whitaker) and the ISO
perspective. 88.1 FM or 880 AM, every Friday from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30
p.m. Hosted by Spencer the Speaker.

---------

Take Action!

Find out about opportunities to help our elected Greens (writing
letters, attending hearings, etc) -- subscribe to the SF Green Party
Action list! The Action list is a low-traffic list (approximately one
message per week in addition to our newsletter) telling you what you
can do to help:  https://list.sfgreens.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/
action

---------

Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!

Two years ago, former organizers for the Matt Gonzalez for Mayor
campaign decided it was time to stop getting 'close but not close
enough' to progressive victories like public power and Matt as Mayor,
and to begin a city wide, year round, grassroots campaign that would
start helping us win such victories!

So in January 2004, the organization Our City was born. Since then we
have helped to:

- Pass the ban on old polluting diesel buses
- Pass Matt Gonzalez's anti chain store law
- Get the downtown hotel workers back on the job, and
- Get the Police and Planning Commissions put back on SF Government TV
after the City tried to pull them off.

Now we are campaigning to get rid of PG&E's monopoly on our electricity
service, and start running the City on renewable energy like solar and
wind power instead!

We have just begun hiring and training new grassroots campaigners to
help us win this fight.
No experience necessary.
Earn $280 to $400 each four day work week learning to be a strong
progressive organizer.
To apply, call Eric at 415-756-8844 from noon to 2pm any weekday, or
send an email to jobs at our-city.org

For more information, see our web site at http://our-city.org