[SFGP] SF Green Party Weekly 5/5-5/11

announce at sfgreens.org announce at sfgreens.org
Thu May 4 00:23:26 PDT 2006

SF GREEN PARTY WEEKLY 5/5/06-5/11/06

NEWS:
  - 4/30: Green Party of California Endorses Immigrant Rights and
Boycott; Democrats Don't (http://www.cagreens.org/press/pr060430.shtml)
  - 5/2: No More Bogus School Budgets
(http://www.sfbg.com/entry.php?entry_id=479)

EVENTS:
This week:
  -  5/4: Matt Gonzalez Fundraiser for Aimee Allison
  -  5/5: Give a "Hoot" About Vanishing Owls! Volunteers Needed to
Spread the Word Where This Movie is Playing
  -  5/7: Party with Todd Chretien
(http://www.sfgreenparty.org/events/events-itemfromhome.gem?idx=1540)
  - 5/10: Green party county Council meeting
  - 5/11: Animal Advocacy Working Group
Next week:
  - 5/12: Freedom from Theocracy
  - 5/12: SKELETON KEY: Art Auction for the West Memphis Three, with
Damien Echols' Art. With Matt Gonzalez, Henry Rollins, Jello Biafra,
and Others
  - 5/13: Groveling for Peace in the Middle East
  - 5/15: Krissy Keefer for Congress
  - 5/17: Green Party General Membership Meeting
Save the date:
  - 5/24: Something Fun at the Green Party Forum!!! Join the medley of
politics and performance

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:
  - Calling White Activists to Support Immigrant Justice!
  - Co-Chair Needed for GROW Working Group

IN EVERY ISSUE:
  - Discuss Instant Runoff Voting in Green Party Activist Jim
Dorenkott's Blog (http://www.dailykos.com/user/jim%20d)
  - Take Action!
  - Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!
  - Become a Green Party Sustainer!

JOKE OF THE WEEK:
  - VIDEO: Comedian Stephen Colbert, Formerly of Daily Show, Lambasts
George Bush (http://thankyoustephencolbert.org/,
http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=06/05/03/145234,
http://www.salon.com/ent/video_dog/politics/2006/04/30/colbert_press/
index.html)

EVENTS:

5/4: Matt Gonzalez Fundraiser for Aimee Allison

WHEN:
Thursday, May 4
6:00PM-8:00PM

WHERE:
Gonzalez & Leigh, 2 Shaw Alley, 3rd Floor, San Francisco, CA 94105;
between 1st and 2nd Streets off Mission.
(415) 512-2000

INFORMATION:
www.aimeealllison.org  or call (510) 277-0182

DETAILS:
Join Matt Gonzalez, Whitney Leigh, Rita Hao, Nima Nami, Enrique Pearce
& Bryan Vereschagin (Gonzalez & Leigh LLP) at a fundraiser for Aimee
Allison, Green Party candidate for Oakland City Council at the office.

We hope you can make it.

---------

5/5: Give a "Hoot" About Vanishing Owls! Volunteers Needed to Spread
the Word Where This Movie is Playing

WHEN:
Friday, May 5
6:00 PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St. and
7th St.), San Francisco

INFORMATION:
To find out more about our Give a Hoot program and the Center’s work to
protect imperiled species including owls, see www.hoot4owls.org or our
main web page www.biologicaldiversity.org

CONTACT:
Keri Dixon, Membership Director & Kelli Shields, Office Manager
kshields at biologicaldiversity.org

DETAILS:
Hoot, the “eco-thriller” based on the award winning novel by Carl
Hiaasen, opens in theaters nationwide.  Hoot is about a group of
teenagers who take on Florida developers that are destroying habitat
for burrowing owls.

Join the Center for Biological Diversity’s Bay Area staff in front of
the Metreon as we hand out information to interested movie-goers and
collect signatures supporting protection of imperiled owls and their
habitats.

The release of Hoot is an excellent opportunity to educate the public
about the plight of vanishing owl species and to take action to protect
their last habitat. The Center needs you, our members, to be part of
our nationwide network of volunteers for the opening weekend and
beyond!

We’ll have volunteers in other Bay Area locations as well, so if you
can’t meet us in San Francisco, no problem!  Whether you're in San
Francisco or another Bay Area location, contact Kelli at
kshields at biologicaldiversity.org and we’ll make sure you get everything
you’ll need to help us protect imperiled owls!

---------

5/10: Green Party County Council meeting

WHEN:
Wednesday, May 10
7:30PM to 9:30PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St. and
7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
This is our monthly County Council meeting. We plan the General
Membership agenda, review finances and make business decisions for the
party. All are welcome, but the GM is more interesting for new
activists to attend.

---------

5/11: Animal Advocacy Working Group

WHEN:
Thursday, April 20
7:30PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St. and
7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
The Animal Advocacy Working Group is involved in animal issues in San
Francisco. The Ten Key Values apply to protecting the welfare of
non-human animals. Of course, all are welcome.

For more information, email Rosalind Lord at rclord at seaserpent.com

---------

5/12: Freedom from Theocracy

WHEN:
Friday, May 12
3:30PM

WHERE:
Civic Center, San Francisco

INFORMATION, CONTACT:
More info next week or contact Vicki at vleidner at rcn.com.

DETAILS:
Ron Luce's Battlecry for a New Generation returns to City Hall steps on
May 12 to be greeted by a coalition of San Francisco progressive
ministers, joined by various cultural and diverse San Francisco
communities.  Picnic (lots of breaking breads), singing (Raging
Grannies), and a call to San Franciscans to reaffirm separation of
church and state.

Free to all. Tabling welcome.

Bring "bread" and accoustic instruments, too. Family friendly event.

Co-sponsors include: Bay Area Coalition of Progressive Clergy, BACORR,
Raging Grannies, Not in Our Name, World Can't Wait, CODEPINK.

---------

5/12: SKELETON KEY: Art Auction for the West Memphis Three, with Damien
Echols' Art. With Matt Gonzalez, Henry Rollins, Jello Biafra, and
Others

WHEN:
Friday, May 12
Gallery showing: 12 Noon
Reception: 6:00PM to 2:00AM

WHERE:
111 Minna Gallery, 111 Minna (Between New Montgomery & 2nd Streets),
San Francisco

TICKETS:
Advanced tickets will be available via TicketWeb (www.ticketweb.com)
You can search "111 Minna" or "Skeleton Key" for the listing of this
event.

ADMISSION TO RECEPTION:
$15 minimum donation

CONTACT:
415-974-1719

INFORMATION:
http://www.skeletonkeyart.com/

DETAILS:
Henry Rollins, Jello Biafra, Jonathan Richman, Matt Gonzalez, Penelope
Houston and Jacob Pitts will be speaking and reading Damien Echols'
poetry.

Michale Graves and Jacob Pitts will be providing acoustic sets.

Posters by Firehouse Kustom Rockart will be available for purchase at
the reception.

DJs: Justin McNeal and Marco Vega

---------

5/13: Groveling for Peace in the Middle East

WHEN and WHERE:
Saturday, May 13

"A Clean Well-Lighted Place for Books" at 601 Van Ness Avenue, San
Francisco
4:00PM to 6:00PM

Followed by a party at Medjool at 2522 Mission St. (off 21st) to mingle
with the writers.

SUGGESTED DONATION:
$20

If you cannot attend the event but would like to support Helem, please
mail your check to:
Helem, PO Box 1862, Cleveland, OH 44106

INFORMATION:
For questions, please feel free to contact the treasurer of Helem San
Francisco Chapter at bassamlebnan at yahoo.com
Contact Helem San Francisco
Email: sfo at helem.net
http://www.helem.net/

DETAILS:
A book reading and signing in San Francisco to benefit Helem, an
organization which "leads a peaceful struggle for the liberation of the
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) community in Lebanon from
all sorts of legal, social and cultural discrimination."

Ayelet Waldman, ZZ Packer, Andrew Sean Greer, K. M. Soehnlein, Susanne
Pari, Po Bronson, Justin Chin, Stephen Elliott, Dorothy Allison, Kathi
Goldmark, Amy Tan, Elizabeth Stark, Beth Lisick, Kay Ryan, and Rabih
Alameddine.

Donations to Helem (the LGBT Center in Beirut) in the form of cash or
checks are tax deductible.

Please write the check to: Al-Fatiha Foundation (and write "Helem Fund"
in the memo).

Al-Fatiha Foundation is the fiscal sponsor of Helem San Francisco
Chapter.

---------

5/15: Krissy Keefer for Congress

WHEN:
Monday, May 15
7:00PM-9:30PM

WHERE:
Cafe La Boheme, 24th Street at Mission, San Francisco

DETAILS:
Join radical dancer and political activist Krissy Keefer, Green Party
candidate for the 8th Congressional District, at La Boheme Cafe, 3318
24th Street near Mission, from 7 to 9 p.m.  Krissy will be joined by
singer/songwriter Holly Near, former Green Party Senate candidate
Barbara Blong, Green Party Planning Commissioner Cristina Olague and
more ...

Contact info at krissyforcongress.com for more information.

Contact Sue Vaughan at (415) 668-3119 if you are interested in helping
or have talent to offer.

---------

5/17: Green Party General Membership Meeting

WHEN:
Wednesday, May 17
7:30PM-9:30PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St. and
7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
Join radical dancer and political activist Krissy Keefer, Green Party
candidate for the 8th Congressional District, at La Boheme Cafe, 3318
24th Street near Mission, from 7 to 9 This is our monthy General
Membership meeting where we make decisions and discussions about the
party's direction, strategies, activities and endorsemenets. All are
welcome to attend. To suggest an agenda item, send it to the County
Council at: cc at sfgreens.org

---------

5/24: Something Fun at the Green Party Forum!!!  Join the medley of
politics and performance

WHEN:
Wednesday, May 24
7:00PM-2:00AM

WHERE:
Studio Z, 314 11th Street @ Folsom, San Francisco

CONTACT:
(415) 252-7666
www.StudioZ.tv

ADMISSION:
$5 to $500 Must be 21+, with ID No one turned away for lack of funds

DETAILS:
Join the medley of politics and performance with:  Barry Hermanson
(candidate for 12th Assembly district), Forrest Hill (candidate for
Secretary of State), Ross Mirkarimi (Supervisor, District 5), Mehul
Thakker (candidate for state treasurer), Medea Benjamin (Global
Exchange), Laura Wells (candidate for state controller), Diamond Dave
Whitaker (San Francisco icon of poetry and Greenism ...), Ubidube
Whitaker (Rocker and son of icon ...), Mike Wyman (candidate for state
Attorney General), Go Van Gogh (Indy rock band), Garrin Benfield (Indy
soloist)  And more...(see
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/events/events-itemfromhome.gem?idx=1521)

==============================

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:

Calling White Activists to Support Immigrant Justice!

In the past month, five million people, mostly immigrants of color,
have mobilized for justice and are making history, flooding the streets
in unprecedented numbers. Meanwhile, the most visible participation by
white people is coming from the racist and right-wing leaders who are
defining and dominating the debate in the Federal government and in the
news, radio and opinion pages. Where are the voices of anti-racist
white people in this crucial moment, when the worst anti-immigrant
legislation in decades is still poised to drop?

We, white people who believe in justice and ending racism, have a
responsibility and a historic opportunity to stand with immigrant
communities and unite behind their demands. As white people, most of us
with U.S. citizenship, we call out to our white communities to take to
the streets for immigrant rights.We must demonstrate that the rightwing
racists, from the Minutemen to in the Congress, do not represent us!

Two Bay Area-based white anti-racist organizations, Catalyst Project
and the Heads Up Collective (a member organization of the Deporten a La
Migra  Coalition primarily composed of organizations based in
working-class immigrant communities), ask you to act in solidarity with
the principles generated by the Deporten a La Migra  Coalition,
Immigrants Fighting For Our Rights. They are:

. The land is for those who work it!
. No more displacement
. The border is hypocritical
. Unity makes us strong
. Demand dignity and equality for all immigrants
. In every neighborhood, organize!

Full text can be found at
http://www.liberationink.com/revised/navigator.php?s=2&a=deporten

If you agree with all these principles, please sign the petition at
http://www.petitiononline.com/mayday06/petition.htm

In struggle,
Catalyst Project and the Heads Up Collective
immigrantjusticesolidarity at gmail.com

Endorsed by:
Elizabeth "Betita" Martinez, Institute for Multiracial Justice
Maria Poblet, St Peters Housing Committee
Eric Mar
Eunice Cho
Sheila Chung, Bay Area Immigrant Rights Coalition
Renee Saucedo, Day Labor Program/La Raza Centro Legal
Kali Akuno, Malcolm X Grassroots Movement
(organizations for identification purposes only)

---------

Co-Chair Needed for GROW Working Group

Micheas Herman of the GROW Working Group (tabling and voter
registration) is seeking a new co-chair.  Contact Micheas Herman at ...
or the County Council at cc at sfgreens.org for more information.

==============================

IN EVERY ISSUE:

Take Action!

Find out about opportunities to help our elected Greens (writing
letters, attending hearings, etc) -- subscribe to the SF Green Party
Action list! The Action list is a low-traffic list (approximately one
message per week in addition to our newsletter) telling you what you
can do to help:

---------

Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!

Two years ago, former organizers for the Matt Gonzalez for Mayor
campaign decided it was time to stop getting 'close but not close
enough' to progressive victories like public power and Matt as Mayor,
and to begin a city wide, year round, grassroots campaign that would
start helping us win such victories!

So in January 2004, the organization Our City was born. Since then we
have helped to:

- Pass the ban on old polluting diesel buses
- Pass Matt Gonzalez's anti chain store law
- Get the downtown hotel workers back on the job, and
- Get the Police and Planning Commissions put back on SF Government TV
after the City tried to pull them off.

Now we are campaigning to get rid of PG&E's monopoly on our electricity
service, and start running the City on renewable energy like solar and
wind power instead!

We have just begun hiring and training new grassroots campaigners to
help us win this fight.
No experience necessary.
Earn $280 to $400 each four day work week learning to be a strong
progressive organizer.
To apply, call Eric at 415-756-8844 from noon to 2pm any weekday, or
send an email to jobs at our-city.org

For more information, see our web site at http://our-city.org

---------

Become a Green Party Sustainer!

As you may know, the SFGP is supported by our wonderful sustaining
donors -- 175 and growing.  In the next 12 months we hope to double
that figure, and you can help us achieve our goal by signing up to make
a regular contribution to the Green Party.

Our sustainer program nearly pays all of our basic monthly operating
expenses, including rent and utilities on the office, and drastically
reduces the amount of work needed to raise money.  Our sustainers free
us up to do what we're really here for - to pursue Green values through
the democratic system. Sustainers also ensure that we are able to keep
our office, which has hosted numerous campaigns' headquarters including
the successful Prop A, Instant Runoff Voting initiative.

Becoming a Green Party sustainer is easy, fun, and secure!

For more information, see
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html