[SFGP] SF Green Party Weekly 11/8-11/14

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Wed Nov 8 16:45:37 PST 2006

SF GREEN PARTY WEEKLY 11/8/06-11/14/06

NEWS:
- Green Party Congratulates Candidates (http://www.sfgreenparty.org/
news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1542)
- A Walk with Aimee Allison (http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=qi7TuuDNXYQ&eurl=)
- Third Party Candidates Fight to be Heard (http://
www.pasadenastarnews.com/opinions/ci_4608062)
- Mayor Newsom Vetoes Ross Mirkarimi's Foot Patrol Legislation
(http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/11/03/
BAGIEM5V755.DTL)
- Wonder Woman: Krissy Keefer (http://www.babwnews.com/article.php?
id=744)
- Pelosi Challengers Debate (http://www.fogcityjournal.com/
news_in_brief/court_jesterings_061102.shtml)
- District 4 Deception (http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-
start.gem?idx=1541)
- Greens hope anger over war opens doors (http://www.sfgreenparty.org/
news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1540)
- Guest Editorial: Why Aimee Allison Matters (http://
www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1539)

EVENTS:
This week:
- 11/14: Energy Working Group Meeting
- 11/15: SF Green Party General Meeting; Post Election Discussion

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:
- IRV in Oakland/Measure O under attack! Please help
- Car-Free Talk with Green Party Activist Sue Vaughan

IN EVERY ISSUE:
- Discuss Instant Runoff Voting in Green Party Activist Jim
Dorenkott's Blog (http://www.dailykos.com/user/jim%20d)
- Take Action!
- Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!
- Support the San Francisco Green Party by Becoming a Sustainer

JOKE OF THE WEEK:
- Compose your own Bush Speech (http://www.actofme.co.uk/bush_speech/
bushspeechwriter.html)

EVENTS:

11/14: Energy Working Group Meeting

WHEN:
Tuesday, November 14, 2006
7:30PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St.
and 7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
The Energy Working Group has canceled our Oct meeting so people can
focus on campaigns.

The next meeting will be Tue, Nov 14, and we will discuss broadening
the name and scope of the group beyond simple energy issues,
potentially into the whole panorama of social ecology; i.e. looking
at the environment, energy use, social systems and social justice in
a more comprehensive holistic way that views the city as a full
social/environmental ecosystem.

Any who are interested in this new direction, please make plans show
up on Nov 14 to help us bring forward good proposal to the County
Council and GM.

---------

Wednesday, November 15, 2006
7:30PM-9:30PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St.
and 7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
If you are interested in the party, have a question about how the
local Green Party operates, want to get involved, please attend.

This is also a chance for us to convene and discuss the November 2006
election. What worked, what did not and why; what did we learn? We
can discuss how and why we made the endorsements we did, and factors
we can include moving forward.

==============================

From:  Steven Hill

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

The campaign for Instant Runoff Voting in Oakland (known as Measure
O) needs your URGENT help to buy radio ads to respond to negative
attacks against Measure O from sleazy political consultants who are
opposed to reforming our broken democracy. Allow me to explain.

We have been making great strides towards winning on November 7,
having secured most of the top endorsements in the city, and waging a
vigorous voter contact/outreach campaign (see details below).

However, Measure O is now suddenly under attack.

Political consutants have created a fake Democratic Party slate card
and mailed it to thousands of Oakland voters saying vote NO on
Measure O -- even though the Democratic Party has endorsed Measure O
(the fake slate card also says vote No on Prop 89, the statewide
measure for public financing of campaigns, even though the local
Democratic Party has endorsed 89 and the state Dems are neutral). The
fake slate card lists the originator as a shadowy independent
expenditure committee called "Voter Information Guide" located in
southern California. A Google and FPPC search reveals that this is
one of those sleazy, for-profit, slate cards where they sell
themselves to the highest bidder, and then pose as if it's coming
from the Democratic Party. On the front side, which is in tri-color,
are large letters saying "Voter Information Guide for Democrats."
That is next to a fairly large photo of U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein
and just above a photo of a bald eagle's head.  It also says on the
front side, "Evaluations and Recommendations by the Democratic
Party." In fact, the San Diego Union Tribune did an article exposing
this slate card, which during the June primary was mailed all over
San Diego.

If you're interested, you can read the article about that here:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/politics/20060605-9999-1n5slates.html

WE MUST RESPOND TO THIS ATTACK. Oakland voters may see more hit
pieces like this during the final week.  So we are trying to raise
money to counter this. Primarily that means buying radio ads, e-mail
outreach lists, and possibly automated phone calls, since there is no
time to design, print and mail another mail piece.  Radio ads will
begin tomorrow, featuring a well-known local officeholder plugging
Measure O.

We have not even raised the money yet for these radio ads, but we are
contracting for services anyway.  We are going out on a limb because
we just can't stand by and watch our victory snatched away.  So we
are going on faith -- our faith in YOU.  We need your donation --
urgently -- today. We are hoping we can rely on you!

Fortunately, we already have raised $50,000 and spent that on
targeted mail pieces to various selected pools of voters all over the
city of Oakland. We also have bought newspaper ads, been doing
precinct walking and phone banking. We really have an excellent
chance of winning -- we have most of the biggest endorsements in
Oakland -- if only we can prevent this kind of sleazy mudslinging
from changing the momentum during this final seven days.

PLEASE DON'T DELAY -- MAKE AN ONLINE DONATION TODAY!  Many of you
have responded to my call before, and I hope you will again. This
Nov. 7, we have an excellent chance of passing IRV not only in
Oakland but also in Minneapolis, Pierce County (WA) and Davis (CA)
where it is also on the ballot. That will go along with San
Francisco, which is about to hold its third election using IRV,
Burlington (VT) which elected its mayor using IRV, and other cities
around the country that have passed it. This is a slowly growing
national movement, and we all are a part of it.

So we can't let these sleazy political consultants snatch victory
away from us during these final seven days. Whatever you can donate
to help nail down this victory for IRV in Oakland will be greatly
appreciated. We couldn't do this without people such as yourselves,
all across the country.  We are all on the same team, so let's bring
this victory home on November 7.

Here's how to donate, either online or by sending a check (our
preference would be that you donate online, since there are so few
days left and we need the money or at least your pledge right away).

For online donations, visit www.oaklandirv.org/donate.html and follow
the instructions.

Or mail a check made out to "IRV for Oakland" to:

                    IRV for Oakland
                    P.O. Box 3730
                    Oakland, CA 94609

Friends, please help us make history in Oakland by securing this
victory for Measure O. You can do that by making a donation
immediately. And if you don't mind, please forward this e-mail to
your own e-mail lists and encourage people to support this important
campaign.  Sorry in advance if you receive this email more than once.

All best,

Steven Hill

---------

Car-Free Talk with Green Party Activist Sue Vaughan

Keep an eye out for "Car-Free Talk" on San Francisco's public access
tv station, Channel 29.  In the next show, David Fridley, staff
scientist at Lawrence Berkeley and member of San Francisco Oil
Awareness, discusses the myth of biofuels.

Date and time to be announced.

==============================

IN EVERY ISSUE:

Take Action!

Find out about opportunities to help our elected Greens (writing
letters, attending hearings, etc) -- subscribe to the SF Green Party
Action list! The Action list is a low-traffic list (approximately one
message per week in addition to our newsletter) telling you what you
can do to help:  https://list.sfgreens.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/
action

---------

Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!

Two years ago, former organizers for the Matt Gonzalez for Mayor
campaign decided it was time to stop getting 'close but not close
enough' to progressive victories like public power and Matt as Mayor,
and to begin a city wide, year round, grassroots campaign that would
start helping us win such victories!

So in January 2004, the organization Our City was born. Since then we
have helped to:

- Pass the ban on old polluting diesel buses
- Pass Matt Gonzalez's anti chain store law
- Get the downtown hotel workers back on the job, and
- Get the Police and Planning Commissions put back on SF Government TV
after the City tried to pull them off.

Now we are campaigning to get rid of PG&E's monopoly on our electricity
service, and start running the City on renewable energy like solar and
wind power instead!

We have just begun hiring and training new grassroots campaigners to
help us win this fight.
No experience necessary.
Earn $280 to $400 each four day work week learning to be a strong
progressive organizer.
To apply, call Eric at 415-756-8844 from noon to 2pm any weekday, or
send an email to jobs at our-city.org

For more information, see our web site at http://our-city.org

---------

Support the San Francisco Green Party by Becoming a Sustainer

The San Francisco Green Party needs donations for rent on the office,
mailings, signs, and many other expenditures in order to wage
effective political campaigns.

We are especially interested in building up our base of "sustaining
members," those who agree to contribute a certain amount each month
by credit card. By becoming a sustaining member you save us money and
time that we can then devote to our political work. It is a method of
donation that is perfect for a grassroots organization like the Green
Party as it allows us to thrive off of many, many small and medium
size donations instead of depending on a few large donors.

For more information, please visit the MAKE A DONATION page on the
website at http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html

For questions about the sustaining member program contact
treasurer at sfgreens.org

To make a one-time donation by mail please send a check made out to
The San Francisco Green Party to:

San Francisco Green Party
1028A Howard St.
San Francisco, CA 94103