[SFGP] SF Green Party Weekly 11/22-11/28

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Wed Nov 22 00:00:46 PST 2006

SF GREEN PARTY WEEKLY 11/22/06-11/28/06 HAPPY THANKSGIVING

NEWS:
- Breakthrough for California Greens
	http://tinyurl.com/so6xe
- Minor Parties Hang On
	http://tinyurl.com/yyfro4
- District Elections And Ranked-Choice Voting Really Work:
	http://tinyurl.com/ueyk7
- Foot Patrol Vote a Major Defeat for Newsom:
	http://tinyurl.com/yx2j8a
- School Board Votes To Dump JROTC Program:
	http://tinyurl.com/yyrvxc

EVENTS:
This week:
- 11/28: Transportation Working Group
Next week:
- 12/3: FIG Social and Election Wrap (Rap) Up
- 12/4: Campaigns and Issues Working Group meeting
- 12/7: Animal Advocacy Working Group
Save the date:
- 12/12: SF Green Party County Council meeting
- 12/20: SFGP Holiday Party

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:
- On November 29, progressive women (Krissy Keefer, Sue Vaughan, and
others) will do an election recap live call-in show on Channel 29 at
7 p.m.  Call 621-4472 to participate.
- Car-Free Talk with Green Party Activist Sue Vaughan

IN EVERY ISSUE:
- Discuss Instant Runoff Voting in Green Party Activist Jim
Dorenkott's Blog (http://www.dailykos.com/user/jim%20d)
- Take Action!
- Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!
- Support the San Francisco Green Party by Becoming a Sustainer

JOKE OF THE WEEK:
- The media marches on, keeping us literate (http://tinyurl.com/y7jjo2)

EVENTS:

11/28: Transportation Working Group

WHEN:
Tuesday, November 28, 2006
7:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party, 1028A Howard St (between 6th St. and 7th
St.), San Francisco, CA 94103

DETAILS:
Agenda: plan legislation and other organizing efforts for next year.

---------

Sunday, December 3, 2006
4:00PM-6:00PM

WHERE:
To be announced

CONTACT:
Please contact Vicki Leidner, Chairperson at vleidner at rcn.com for
details and exact location or visit the FIG working group page:
http://tinyurl.com/uk8a4

DETAILS:
The next meeting will be the FIG social and election wrap up in the
Mission district. We’ll be combining an informal FIG meeting with a
more social gathering and debriefing. We'll also re-energize and
strategize next steps, both individually and for FIG. Friends and
guests welcome.

If you would like to bring food or drink to share, please feel free
to do so - it will be most welcome.

---------

Monday, December 4, 2006
7:00PM-8:30PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party, 1028A Howard St (between 6th St. and 7th
St.), San Francisco, CA 94103

DETAILS:
Join the Campaigns and Issues Working Group as we review the year's
elections and start brainstorming for 2007. What's next: Priority
legislation, 2007 mayor's race, 2 and 4 year planning for local
campaigns, candidate recruitment.

---------

Thursday, December 7, 2006
7:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
Golden Era Vegetarian Restaurant, 832 Clement Street, between 9th and
10th Avenues, San Francisco

DETAILS:
The Animal Advocacy Working Group is involved in animal issues in San
Francisco. The Ten Key Values apply to protecting the welfare of non-
human animals. Of course, all are welcome.

For more information, email Rosalind Lord at rclord at seaserpent.com

---------

Tuesday, December 12, 2006
7:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party, 1028A Howard St (between 6th St. and 7th
St.), San Francisco, CA 94103

DETAILS:
Regular monthly meeting of the elected county council. Moved to
Tuesdays before the San Francisco Green Party General Monthly Meeting
to accommodate newly elected and appointed CC member's schedules.

---------

12/20: SFGP Holiday Party

WHEN:
Wednesday, December 20, 2006
7:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party, 1028A Howard St (between 6th St. and 7th
St.), San Francisco, CA 94103

DETAILS:
Instead of our monthly meeting, we are hosting a holiday get
together. Come and join us as we celebrate the 2006 elections.
Potluck encouraged.

==============================

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:

KPFA Local Station Board Ballots Due 11/15 10PM, SFGP Endorses Dave
Heller

The San Francisco Green Party's sole endorsement for the (94.1 FM)
KPFA Local Station Board election goes to longtime dedicated Green
Party activist, Dave Heller: http://tinyurl.com/y3vwx5

Ballots must be received (not postmarked) by KPFA by 10 PM Wednesday
the 15th! They can be dropped off at the station.

---------

Car-Free Talk with Green Party Activist Sue Vaughan

Keep an eye out for "Car-Free Talk" on San Francisco's public access
tv station, Channel 29.  In the next show, David Fridley, staff
scientist at Lawrence Berkeley and member of San Francisco Oil
Awareness, discusses the myth of biofuels.

Date and time to be announced.

==============================

IN EVERY ISSUE:

Take Action!

Find out about opportunities to help our elected Greens (writing
letters, attending hearings, etc) -- subscribe to the SF Green Party
Action list! The Action list is a low-traffic list (approximately one
message per week in addition to our newsletter) telling you what you
can do to help:  https://list.sfgreens.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/
action

---------

Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!

Two years ago, former organizers for the Matt Gonzalez for Mayor
campaign decided it was time to stop getting 'close but not close
enough' to progressive victories like public power and Matt as Mayor,
and to begin a city wide, year round, grassroots campaign that would
start helping us win such victories!

So in January 2004, the organization Our City was born. Since then we
have helped to:

- Pass the ban on old polluting diesel buses
- Pass Matt Gonzalez's anti chain store law
- Get the downtown hotel workers back on the job, and
- Get the Police and Planning Commissions put back on SF Government TV
after the City tried to pull them off.

Now we are campaigning to get rid of PG&E's monopoly on our electricity
service, and start running the City on renewable energy like solar and
wind power instead!

We have just begun hiring and training new grassroots campaigners to
help us win this fight.
No experience necessary.
Earn $280 to $400 each four day work week learning to be a strong
progressive organizer.
To apply, call Eric at 415-756-8844 from noon to 2pm any weekday, or
send an email to jobs at our-city.org

For more information, see our web site at http://our-city.org

---------

Support the San Francisco Green Party by Becoming a Sustainer

The San Francisco Green Party needs donations for rent on the office,
mailings, signs, and many other expenditures in order to wage
effective political campaigns.

We are especially interested in building up our base of "sustaining
members," those who agree to contribute a certain amount each month
by credit card. By becoming a sustaining member you save us money and
time that we can then devote to our political work. It is a method of
donation that is perfect for a grassroots organization like the Green
Party as it allows us to thrive off of many, many small and medium
size donations instead of depending on a few large donors.

For more information, please visit the MAKE A DONATION page on the
website at http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html

For questions about the sustaining member program contact
treasurer at sfgreens.org

To make a one-time donation by mail please send a check made out to
The San Francisco Green Party to:

San Francisco Green Party
1028A Howard St.
San Francisco, CA 94103