[SFGP] SF Green Party Weekly 10/4-10/10

announce at sfgreens.org announce at sfgreens.org
Wed Oct 4 04:03:23 PDT 2006

SF GREEN PARTY WEEKLY 10/4/06-10/10/06

NEWS:
- San Francisco People's Organization to Hold its Second Annual
Convention (http://www.beyondchron.org/news/index.php?itemid=3732#more)
- Ross Mirkarimi Advocates for Police Foot Patrols to Curb Crime
(http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/10/03/
BAGD6LH1FS1.DTL, http://www.examiner.com/a-319392%
7ESupes_keep_up_heat_on_SFPD_foot_patrols.html)
- San Francisco Peoples Organization Celebrates One Year Anniversary
(http://www.fogcityjournal.com/news_in_brief/
catherine_rauschuber_061002.shtml)

EVENTS:
This week:
- 10/4: Terry Baum Invites You to Meet Krissy Keefer
- 10/4: John Rizzo Speaks at San Francisco for Democracy MeetUp
Candidate Forum
- 10/4: John Rizzo Speaks at SF5Together
- 10/5: Animal Advocacy Working Group
- 10/5: John Rizzo Speaks at League of Women Voters
- 10/5-10/7: Faulty Intelligence, An Evening of Political Satire
- 10/7-10/8: Mobilization For John Rizzo's College Board
- 10/7: Hayes Valley Merchant Walk with Jane Kim and Ross Mirkarimi
- 10/7: No on 85! Day of Action
- 10/7: Krissy Keefer On A Mission Rally!
- 10/7: San Francisco People's Organization Convention
Next week:
-  10/9: Learning about Science from Your Kitchen Sink
- 10/11: County Council meeting
- 10/11: Art and Education Discussion with Jane Kim and Jake McGoldrick
- 10/15: Anti-Columbus Cultural Event for Krissy Keefer (Hugo Chavez
Is Not a Thug!)
Save the date:
- 10/18: General Membership Meeting
- 10/19: Commercial Alert Event with Matt Gonzalez, Etc
- 10/20: Good Old Fashioned Square Dance with Krissy Keefer!
- 10/23: The Show of Shows: Musical Cabaret Benefit for Jane Kim &
Kim-Shree Maufas
- 11/14: October Energy Working Group Meeting Cancelled, Will Meet 11/14

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:
- Volunteer for Krissy Keefer's Campaign!
- Help The John Rizzo Visibility Campaign: Display A House Sign
- 10/03: Green Party Congressional Candidate Krissy Keefer Appears on
Channel 29 7:00PM-8:00PM
- FILM: IRAQ FOR SALE in Bay Area September & October! For
screenings, see http://iraqforsale.org/screenings.php
- Car-Free Talk with Green Party Activist Sue Vaughan

IN EVERY ISSUE:
- Discuss Instant Runoff Voting in Green Party Activist Jim
Dorenkott's Blog (http://www.dailykos.com/user/jim%20d)
- Take Action!
- Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!
- Support the San Francisco Green Party by Becoming a Sustainer

JOKE OF THE WEEK:
- Heaven or Hell? A U.S. Senator's Choice

EVENTS:

10/4: Terry Baum Invites You to Meet Krissy Keefer

WHEN:
Wednesday, October 4, 2006
7:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
547 Douglass St., (betw. 21st & 22nd  St.), San Francisco
Buses:  48, 24, 35

RSVP:
Terry Baum
415 648-5244
It would be so very lovely if you RSVP’d, but please come even if you
don’t.

INFORMATION:
www.keeferforcongress.com

DETAILS:
Wouldn’t it be nice to be represented by someone who actually
represented you??

Krissy Keefer calls for the impeachment of Bush and Cheney, an
immediate withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq, and meaningful
legislation to combat global warming.  She supports same-sex
marriage, electoral reform, and the end of the death penalty. I’m
proud to support Krissy Keefer --  an artist, mother, business-woman,
longtime peace activist – and a woman of courage and passion.

The best thing we can do right now in San Francisco to make our
voices heard, on issues like impeachment and the Iraq Occupation, is
to campaign for, donate to, and vote for Krissy Keefer for Congress.
Even if she doesn't win, if she gets a significant percentage of the
vote (20%), that could have a strong effect on Pelosi.

Please come and meet this great candidate.

Food and drink provided.  Donations joyfully accepted.

---------

Wednesday, October 4, 2006
7:00PM-8:00PM

WHERE:
Schroeder's, 240 Front Street, San Francisco

DETAILS:
San Francisco College Board candidate John Rizzo will speak at a
forum of candidates endorsed by SF4Democracy, a Howard Dean-inspired
grass-roots political group.

---------

Wednesday, October 4, 2006
8:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
Fillmore/Turk, San Francisco

DETAILS:
San Francisco College Board candidate John Rizzo will speak at
SF5Together, a District 5 neighborhood group at the community room of
Northern Police Station.

---------

Thursday, October 5, 2006
7:30PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St.
and 7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
The Animal Advocacy Working Group is involved in animal issues in San
Francisco. The Ten Key Values apply to protecting the welfare of non-
human animals. Of course, all are welcome.

For more information, email Rosalind Lord at rclord at seaserpent.com

---------

Thursday, October 5, 2006
6:00PM-7:30PM

WHERE:
Community College District Office, 33 Gough Street, San Francisco

DETAILS:
A forum for all College Board candidates.

---------

Thursday, October 5 to Saturday, October 7, 2006
8:00PM

WHERE:
The Marsh, 1062 Valencia, San Francisco

INFORMATION:
http://www.roysongs.com/
http://www.royzimmerman.com/
http://www.themarsh.org/

DETAILS:
An evening of scathing satirical songs, written and performed by the
man the Los Angeles Times calls "a latter-day Tom Lehrer." Armed only
with a guitar, a strident baritone whine, and wicked sense of rhyme
and ridicule, “FAULTY INTELLIGENCE” includes a love song to the
sexiest man alive, "Dick Cheney," a lesson in "Creation Science 101,"
a portrait in song of "Jerry Falwell's God" and the bawk-along
"Chickenhawk," already a Zimmerman classic. Written and Performed by
Roy Zimmerman.
"I congratulate Roy Zimmerman on reintroducing literacy to comedy
songs. And the rhymes actually rhyme, they don't just 'rhyne.'" — Tom
Lehrer
"Roy's lyrics move beyond poetry and achieve perfection." — Joni
Mitchell
---------

10/7-10/8: Mobilization For John Rizzo's College Board
WHEN:
Saturday, October 7th, 2006
Sunday, October 8th, 2006
10:30PM

WHERE:
1621 Waller Street at Cole, San Francisco
Accessable by MUNI lines 33, 37, 43, 71, N Judah

DETAILS:
Please join us in a mobilization for John Rizzo this weekend. We'll
be talking to voters, distributing literature, and passing out house
signs.

---------

10/7: Hayes Valley Merchant Walk with Jane Kim and Ross Mirkarimi

WHEN:
Saturday, October 7th, 2006
8:00PM

WHERE:
Corner of Laguna and Hayes, San Francisco

DETAILS:
Join SF School Board Candidate Kim and Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi in a
district merchant walk through Hayes Valley.
---------

10/7: No on 85! Day of Action

WHEN & WHERE:
Saturday, October 7th, 2006
12 noon: Rally and the formation of the WORLD's LARGEST HUMAN NO on
85 SIGN at Dolores Park, SF - Dolores and 20th Street
1:00PM: Voter Outreach and Visibility in District 8 - Mission
District, Noe Valley, and Castro
5:00PM: Celebration NO on 85 Happy Hour and Comedy Show at at
Martuni's Martini bar, 4 Valencia at Market ($10 suggested donation -
no one turned away for lack of funds)

INFORMATION:
See http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/pol/214278498.html

DETAILS:
Do you care about teen safety and protecting choice?

The Bay Area is critical to the success of the NO on 85 campaign, and
we need your help. The supporters of Proposition 85 - the same people
who organize the annual "Walk for Life" in San Francisco - are going
to be in San Francisco in October. Join us to demonstrate that the
Bay Area is pro-choice and that we will not let anti-choice
extremists threaten California's most vulnerable teens.

If you care about defeating Prop 85, please let us know you're coming
to the Day of Action by clicking here.

Help us demonstrate that the Bay Area opposes Prop 85 by being part
of our human "No on 85" sign. We'll take a picture and show everyone
that Bay Area residents like you are voting NO on Prop 85! We need at
least 300 volunteers to participate in the No on 85 sign - can you be
one of them?
To sign up to be part of the sign, please click here.

Help increase opposition to Proposition 85 by canvassing District 8
with NO on 85 signs, flyers, and buttons!

We need your help to post signs in store windows and talk to
permanent absentee voters about why Prop 85 endangers California's
most vulnerable teens.

---------

10/7: Krissy Keefer On A Mission Rally!

WHEN:
Saturday October 7th, 2006
10am Block Party and Brunch
11am Rally and Performances
Noon Precinct Walking and Visibility
2pm Popsicles at Dolores Park

WHERE:
24th and Mission, San Francisco, CA

CONTACT:
krissyforcongress at yahoo.com
Call us and help: 415-835-4748

CHECK US OUT:
www.keeferforcongress.com

DETAILS:
Brought to you by the Art Army and Krissy Keefer for Congress

Hosted by Keith Hennessey, Joan Pinkvoss, Seth Eisen, Cindy Cleary
and other artsy political types!

Brunch courtesy Marc Powell nd Rainbow Grocery.

Art Army Call to Arms!

Calling artists, activists, freaks of all nature, political wonks and
out of town ringers- SAVE THE DATE!

Join us one month before the November 7th election for food, art,
performances and inspiration! More details to come.

Walk your talk- JOIN US!

---------

10/7: San Francisco People's Organization Convention

WHEN:
Saturday October 7th, 2006
7:00PM

WHERE:
4760 Mission Street (between Russia and Persia), San Francisco, CA

INFORMATION, CONTACT:
415-290-0722
510-333-7966 or 510-589-6820

ADMISSION:
$5 to $25 donation/no one turned away for lack of funds
wheel chair assessable, all ages welcome

DETAILS:
Campaign to End the Death Penalty National Tour

* **"Witness to an Execution,"*

featuring the voices of those who have lost a loved one to execution
or faced the prospect of execution themselves. As the national debate
about lethal injection continues, this tour will expose the barbarity
of the death penalty. With these firsthand accounts and experiences
of executions, we aim to show that capital punishment is "cruel and
unusual" punishment. As witnesses to execution, the voices featured
in this tour will share their stories of loss, struggle, and hope for
an end to the death penalty.

Speakers:

- Barbara Becnel, who spearheaded the fight to save Stanley Tookie
Williams from execution last fall, will be a featured speaker on the
tour. As a witness to Stan's personal transformation on death row,
his struggle for justice and his execution, Barbara's story is
incredibly moving. In her own words, "On December 13, 2005, I stood
and watched for 35 agonizing minutes while the state of California
tortured my friend Stan Tookie Williams to death. I want people to
know what I saw and to join the growing movement to end the death
penalty in this country."

- Billy Moore*, former death row prisoner who spent over 16 years on
Georgia's death row and author or "I Shall Not Die."

---------

Monday, October 9, 2006
11:00AM-2:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St.
and 7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
Kim Knox will be demonstrating science experiments that you can do
from items found in your kitchen for students in grades K-5.

The experiments will deal with capillary action (how trees get water
to the very tips of their leaves), absorption (how those beach towels
get dry) and surface tension (how bugs can walk across water).

---------

Wednesday, October 11, 2006
7:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St.
and 7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
The CC will meet to make business decisions and plan the GM agenda
for the following week.

---------

10/11: Art and Education Discussion with Jane Kim and Jake McGoldrick

WHEN:
Wednesday October 11th, 2006
7:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
Bazaar Cafe, 5927 California Street (22nd Avenue), San Francisco, CA

CONTACT:
Call 290-2708

DETAILS:
SF School Board Candidate Kim Knox and Supervisor Jake McGoldrick
will have a discussion on art and education.

---------

10/15: Anti-Columbus Cultural Event for Krissy (Hugo Chavez Is Not a
Thug!)

WHEN:
Sunday October 15th, 2006
Doors Open at 4pm / Show Starts at 5pm!

WHERE:
Dance Mission Theater (3316 24th Street, off Mission), San Francisco, CA

CONTACT:
krissyforcongress at yahoo.com
Call us and help: 415-835-4748

CHECK US OUT:
www.keeferforcongress.com

DETAILS:
Free performance event!

---------

Wednesday, October 18, 2006
7:30PM-9:30PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St.
and 7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
This is the regular monthly meeting of the SFGP. The agenda for this
meeting will be planned at the CC meeting the week before. Watch this
space for updates.
---------

Thursday, October 19, 2006
6:30PM-8:30PM

WHERE:
Catharine Clark Gallery, 49 Geary Street, 2nd floor, San Francisco, CA

CONTACT:
Marnie Glickman at marnie at commercialalert.org or 503-313-7919

INFORMATION:
http://www.commercialalert.org

SUGGESTED CONTRIBUTION:
$30, $50, $100 or whatever you can afford

DETAILS:
Join us for vegetarian sushi, sake and conversation with:

- Peggy O'Mara, editor and publisher of Mothering Magazine and chair
of Commercial Alert's board of directors

- Matt Gonzalez

- John Stauber, executive director of the Center for Media and
Democracy and co-author of many fabulous books including "The Best
War Ever"

- Gary Ruskin, executive director of Commercial Alert

Commercial Alert's mission is to keep the commercial culture within
its proper sphere, and to prevent it from exploiting children and
subverting the higher values of family, community, environmental
integrity and democracy.

---------

10/20: Good Old Fashioned Square Dance with Krissy Keefer!

WHEN:
Friday, October 20th, 2006
7:30PM-10:30PM

krissyforcongress at yahoo.com
Call us and help: 415-835-4748

CHECK US OUT:
www.keeferforcongress.com

DETAILS:
Grab your partner and do se do - it's a Good Old Fashioned Square
Dance! All dances taught, live bluegrass music and dance caller

---------

Monday, October 23, 2006
7:00PM-10:00PM

WHERE:
OctaviaLounge, 1772 Market Street, San Francisco, CA

CONTACT:
(415) 863-3516

INFORMATION:
www.octavialounge.com

ADMISSION/COLABORACION:
$15.00 donation requested

DETAILS:
The Show of Shows, a night of Musical Cabaret to benefit the
candidacies of Jane Kim & Kim-Shree Maufas for S.F.U.S.D. School
Board, featuring:

Maddaline Edstrom-Piano, David Seeman-Saxophone, and the hottest and
coolest singers in the Bay Area.

---------

Tuesday, November 11, 2006
7:30PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St.
and 7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
The Energy Working Group has canceled our Oct meeting so people can
focus on campaigns.

The next meeting will be Tue, Nov 14, and we will discuss broadening
the name and scope of the group beyond simple energy issues,
potentially into the whole panorama of social ecology; i.e. looking
at the environment, energy use, social systems and social justice in
a more comprehensive holistic way that views the city as a full
social/environmental ecosystem.

Any who are interested in this new direction, please make plans show
up on Nov 14 to help us bring forward good proposal to the County
Council and GM.

==============================

Contact Julia to sign up: 415-835-4748 or krissyforcongress at yahoo.com

Phone banking: Every Tuesday and Thursday, 6-9pm, 1028 A Howard
Street (SF Green Party office), snacks and beverages provided

---------

Help The John Rizzo Visibility Campaign: Display A House Sign

We are placing house signs in windows all over the city. Help us with
visibility by placing a sign in your window. Contact us at 572-8497
and we'll have one delivered to you.

---------

10/03: Green Party Congressional Candidate Krissy Keefer Appears on
Channel 29 7:00PM-8:00PM

Call in from 7:30 to 8:00 -- phone number determined later

---------

Car-Free Talk with Green Party Activist Sue Vaughan

Keep an eye out for "Car-Free Talk" on San Francisco's public access
tv station,
Channel 29.  In the next show, David Fridley, staff scientist at
Lawrence Berkeley and member
of San Francisco Oil Awareness, discusses the myth of biofuels.

Date and time to be announced.

==============================

IN EVERY ISSUE:

Take Action!

Find out about opportunities to help our elected Greens (writing
letters, attending hearings, etc) -- subscribe to the SF Green Party
Action list! The Action list is a low-traffic list (approximately one
message per week in addition to our newsletter) telling you what you
can do to help:  https://list.sfgreens.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/
action

---------

Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!

Two years ago, former organizers for the Matt Gonzalez for Mayor
campaign decided it was time to stop getting 'close but not close
enough' to progressive victories like public power and Matt as Mayor,
and to begin a city wide, year round, grassroots campaign that would
start helping us win such victories!

So in January 2004, the organization Our City was born. Since then we
have helped to:

- Pass the ban on old polluting diesel buses
- Pass Matt Gonzalez's anti chain store law
- Get the downtown hotel workers back on the job, and
- Get the Police and Planning Commissions put back on SF Government TV
after the City tried to pull them off.

Now we are campaigning to get rid of PG&E's monopoly on our electricity
service, and start running the City on renewable energy like solar and
wind power instead!

We have just begun hiring and training new grassroots campaigners to
help us win this fight.
No experience necessary.
Earn $280 to $400 each four day work week learning to be a strong
progressive organizer.
To apply, call Eric at 415-756-8844 from noon to 2pm any weekday, or
send an email to jobs at our-city.org

For more information, see our web site at http://our-city.org

---------

Support the San Francisco Green Party by Becoming a Sustainer

The San Francisco Green Party needs donations for rent on the office,
mailings, signs, and many other expenditures in order to wage
effective political campaigns.

We are especially interested in building up our base of "sustaining
members," those who agree to contribute a certain amount each month
by credit card. By becoming a sustaining member you save us money and
time that we can then devote to our political work. It is a method of
donation that is perfect for a grassroots organization like the Green
Party as it allows us to thrive off of many, many small and medium
size donations instead of depending on a few large donors.

For more information, please visit the MAKE A DONATION page on the
website at http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html

For questions about the sustaining member program contact
treasurer at sfgreens.org

To make a one-time donation by mail please send a check made out to
“The San Francisco Green Party” to:

San Francisco Green Party
1028A Howard St.
San Francisco, CA 94103

==============================

JOKE OF THE WEEK:

Heaven or Hell? A U.S. Senator's Choice

While walking down the street one day a US senator is tragically hit
by a truck and dies.

His soul arrives in heaven and is met by St. Peter at the entrance.
"Welcome to heaven," says St. Peter. "Before you settle in, it seems
there is a problem. We seldom see a high official around these parts,
you see, so we're not sure what to do with you. We'll have you spend
one day in hell and one in heaven. Then you can choose where to spend
eternity."

"Really, I've made up my mind. I want to be in heaven," says the
senator.

"I'm sorry, but we have our rules." And with that, St. Peter escorts
him to the elevator and he goes down, down, down to hell.

The doors open and he finds himself in the middle of a green golf
course, with a clubhouse in the distance. Standing in front of it are
all his friends and other politicians who had worked with him.
Everyone is very happy and in evening dress.  Mark Foley is there
with his teenage boy lover. Condoleeza Rice and Ann Coulter are
dressed up in dominatrix gear. Many of the men are in drag and/or
leather.

The guests all run to greet him, shake his hand, and reminisce about
the good times they had while getting rich at the expense of the
people. They play a friendly game of golf and then dine on lobster,
caviar and champagne.

Also present is the devil, a very friendly guy who has a good time
dancing and telling jokes. They are having such a good time that
before he realizes it, it is time to go. Everyone gives him a hearty
farewell and waves while the elevator rises...The elevator goes up,
up, up and the door reopens on heaven where St. Peter is waiting for
him.

"Now it's time to visit heaven."

So, 24 hours pass with the senator joining a group of contented souls
moving from cloud to cloud, playing the harp and singing. They have a
good time and, before he realizes it, the 24 hours have gone by and
St. Peter returns.

"Well, then, you've spent a day in hell and another in heaven. Now
choose your eternity."

The senator reflects for a minute, then he answers: "Well, I would
never have said it before, I mean heaven has been delightful, but I
think I would be better off in hell." So St. Peter escorts him to the
elevator and he goes down, down, down to hell.

Now the doors of the elevator open and he's in the middle of a barren
land covered with waste and garbage. He sees all his friends, dressed
in rags, picking up the trash and putting it in black bags as more
trash falls from above.

The devil comes over to him and puts his arm around his shoulder.

"I don't understand," stammers the senator. "Yesterday I was here and
there was a golf course and clubhouse, and we ate lobster and caviar,
drank champagne, and danced and had a great time. Now there's just a
wasteland full of garbage and my friends look miserable. What happened?"

The devil looks at him, smiles and says: "Yesterday we were
campaigning... today you voted."