[SFGP] SF Green Party Weekly 10/25-10/31

announce at sfgreens.org announce at sfgreens.org
Wed Oct 25 14:26:04 PDT 2006

SF GREEN PARTY WEEKLY 10/25/06-10/31/06 HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

NEWS:
- Why Aimee Allison Matters (http://www.beyondchron.org/news/
index.php?itemid=3819#more)
- Democratic Clubs Allow Endorsment of Greens (http://sfgate.com/cgi-
bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/10/23/DEMS.TMP)
- Photos from October 22 Protest to Stop Police Brutality,
Repression, and the Criminalization of a Generation (http://
www.indybay.org/newsitems/2006/10/24/18322789.php)
- Pelosi Too Busy to Debate (http://www.fogcityjournal.com/
news_in_brief/pelosi_refuses_to_debate_061019.shtml)

EVENTS:
This week:
- 10/26: Dress to Impress with the NWPC-SFs Masquerade
- 10/28: Rally for Chris Daly
- 10/28: Protest and People's Vote on the War
Next week:
- 11/1: Eighth congressional district candidate debate: see
www.keeferforcongress.com for details
- 11/1: Silent Vigil at the Warfield
- 11/2: Animal Advocacy Working Group
- 11/4-5: Krissy Keefer Speaks at Crash Cabaret
Save the date:
- 11/14: Energy Working Group Meeting

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:
- Volunteers Needed for Kim Knox's Campaign 10/26 to 10/29!
- Volunteers Needed for Krissy Keefer's Campaign to do Visibility,
Lit Drops, and Phone Banking
- Help The John Rizzo Visibility Campaign: Display A House Sign
- FILM: IRAQ FOR SALE in Bay Area September & October! For
screenings, see http://iraqforsale.org/screenings.php
- Car-Free Talk with Green Party Activist Sue Vaughan

IN EVERY ISSUE:
- Discuss Instant Runoff Voting in Green Party Activist Jim
Dorenkott's Blog (http://www.dailykos.com/user/jim%20d)
- Take Action!
- Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!
- Support the San Francisco Green Party by Becoming a Sustainer

JOKE OF THE WEEK:
- To Catch a Congressman (http://www.salon.com/ent/video_dog/
2006/10/24/Foley_parody/index.html)

EVENTS:

10/26: Dress to Impress with the NWPC-SFs Masquerade

WHEN:
Thursday, October 26, 2006
7:00PM-10:00PM

WHERE:
The Cellar, 685 Sutter Street at Taylor, San Francisco, CA

CONTACT:
Melissa Dodd, Communications Director
National Womens Political Caucus - San Francisco
Tel: 415-286-3777
nwpcsf at yahoo.com

INFORMATION:
http://www.nwpc-sf.org/

ADMISSION/COLABORACION:
$20 advance, $25 at the door, $35 without a mask

DETAILS:
The National Womens Political Caucus, San Francisco, presents
Masquerade, a Fall Fundraising event for its Womens Leadership Fund.

"Masquerade" features a mask contest judged by prominent local
politicos. It promises to be a unique and fun political event with a
serious mission  to raise money for the NWPC-SFs Womens Leadership Fund.

Our primary goal is to elect more women to public office, states NWPC-
SF President Alix Rosenthal, but in order to do this we must first
get more women in the pipeline, by involving them in politics at all
levels: through grassroots organizing, through contacting elected
officials, and through an ongoing series of training sessions from
City Hall to Noe Valley to the Bayview. The Womens Leadership Fund
makes these free and low-cost community events possible. Masquerade
is a fun way to show support for getting more women plugged into
local politics."

Open to political and party animals of all stripes, genders, and
generations, Masquerade will feature top local DJ talent, politically
minded drink specials, and gourmet eats courtesy of Faz Restaurant.
Local artists such famed spray-can master Vulcan will be on hand with
original art representing Masquerade themes. Dress up or dress down,
but dress to impress and dont forget your mask! Tickets are limited
in quantity, and available for purchase at www.nwpc-sf.org.
Discounted party masks are available at: www.maskitalia.com.

The National Women's Political Caucus is a multicultural,
intergenerational, and multi-issue grassroots organization dedicated
to increasing womens participation in the political process. The San
Francisco NWPC caucus has been in existence since 1973, working hard
locally in support of the NWPC mission: to recruit, train and support
pro-choice women candidates for elected and appointed offices at all
levels of government.

---------

10/28: Rally for Chris Daly

WHEN:
Saturday, October 28, 2006
10:00AM

WHERE:
16th and Mission Streets, San Francisco, CA

DETAILS:
Help progressive Democrat Chris Daly stay in the Board of
Supervisors. Bring 100 of your closest friends. Precinct walking
after this rally.

---------

Saturday, October 28, 2006
12 noon

WHERE:
Gather at UN Plaza (Market between 7th and 8th Streets), San
Francisco, CA

CONTACT, INFORMATION:
Call A.N.S.W.E.R. (Act Now to Stop War & End Racism) Coalition
415-821-6545
Email answer at actionsf.org

DETAILS:
Only the People Can Stop the War!

The Iraq war is a total disaster-for the people of Iraq and of the
United States. Tens of thousands of Iraqis have been killed. Iraqi
society has been torn to shreds. More than 2,700 U.S. soldiers are
dead and 20,000 wounded in a war based on lies.

The war costs $250 million each day. The total cost is now $317
billion—equal to 2.8 million new housing units and 5.5 million
teachers' salaries. Working people pay more for housing, health care
and education each year. Some 47 million people have no health care,
and 13 million children go to bed hungry each day.

The government tells us there isn't money for social services. Yet
they always have billions for war. Neither the Democrats nor the
Republicans will end the war. People in the streets are the only
force that can stop the war.

---------

Wednesday, November 1, 2006
6:00PM

WHERE:
Warfield, 982 Market Street, San Francisco, CA

DETAILS:
Come dressed in black for a funeral to mourn the death of democracy
and to call for the impeachment of Bush as Nancy Pelosi and Bill
Clinton fundraise inside.  Contact krissyforcongress at yahoo.com for
more info.

---------

Saturday, November 4, & Sunday, November 5, 2006
Midnight

WHERE:
The Roxie, 18th Street at Valencia, San Francisco, CA

DETAILS:
Where Queers Collide.

---------

Thursday, October 5, 2006
7:30PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St.
and 7th St.), San Francisco
Email Rosalind Lord at rclord at seaserpent.com to confirm

DETAILS:
The Animal Advocacy Working Group is involved in animal issues in San
Francisco. The Ten Key Values apply to protecting the welfare of non-
human animals. Of course, all are welcome.

For more information, email Rosalind Lord at rclord at seaserpent.com

---------

Tuesday, November 11, 2006
7:30PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St.
and 7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
The Energy Working Group has canceled our Oct meeting so people can
focus on campaigns.

The next meeting will be Tue, Nov 14, and we will discuss broadening
the name and scope of the group beyond simple energy issues,
potentially into the whole panorama of social ecology; i.e. looking
at the environment, energy use, social systems and social justice in
a more comprehensive holistic way that views the city as a full
social/environmental ecosystem.

Any who are interested in this new direction, please make plans show
up on Nov 14 to help us bring forward good proposal to the County
Council and GM.

==============================

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:

Volunteer for Kim Knox's Campaign 10/26 to 10/29!

Help us get Kim Knox, a parent-friendly, student-friendly and teacher-
friendly education advocate, onto the school board by joining us in
these activities:

Thursday, Oct. 26-Join us at the Balboa Station at 6:30 a.m. as we
ride the J and hand out literature on everyone on the J trains.

Thursday, Oct. 26-Join us at the Glen BART Station at 5 p.m. as we
tell commuters about why they should vote for Kim Knox for SF School
Board.

Thursday, Oct. 26-Join us at the Albertsons at Noe Valley at 7 p.m.
as we hand out literature about why Kim Knox will be there for our
City's future leaders if she is elected to the School Board.

Friday, Oct. 27-Join us at the Church MUNI Station at Church and
Market at 6:30 a.m. as we hand out literature on Kim Knox's platform
for a better SFUSD to voters.

Saturday, Oct. 28-Join Local 790 and other activists at 10 a.m. as
they walk precincts for Kim Knox out of their offices at DeHaro and
Kansas.  (Enter on the Kansas side)

Sunday, Oct. 29-Join Local 790 and other activities at Noon as they
walk precincts for Kim Knox out of their offices at  350 Rhode Island
(Kansas). (Enter on the Kansis side.)

---------

Volunteers Needed for Krissy Keefer's Campaign to do Visibility, Lit
Drops, and Phone Banking

Phone banking: Every Tuesday and Thursday, 6-9pm, 1028 A Howard
Street (SF Green Party office), snacks and beverages provided.

We especially need volunteers on weekends to help with visibility,
outreach at the many events in San Francisco and literature drops in
the neighborhoods, but any time you are available is fantastic.

This weekend we will be at the SF Peoples Organization conference,
World Vegetarian Day celebration in Golden Gate Park, Filmore Farmers
Market on Saturday, and the Ghandi Peace Celebration and Castro
Street Fair and Comedy in the Park on Sunday.

Contact Julia to sign up: 415-835-4748 or krissyforcongress at yahoo.com

---------

Help The John Rizzo Visibility Campaign: Display A House Sign

We are placing house signs in windows all over the city. Help us with
visibility by placing a sign in your window. Contact us at 572-8497
and we'll have one delivered to you.

---------

Car-Free Talk with Green Party Activist Sue Vaughan

Keep an eye out for "Car-Free Talk" on San Francisco's public access
tv station,
Channel 29.  In the next show, David Fridley, staff scientist at
Lawrence Berkeley and member
of San Francisco Oil Awareness, discusses the myth of biofuels.

Date and time to be announced.

==============================

IN EVERY ISSUE:

Take Action!

Find out about opportunities to help our elected Greens (writing
letters, attending hearings, etc) -- subscribe to the SF Green Party
Action list! The Action list is a low-traffic list (approximately one
message per week in addition to our newsletter) telling you what you
can do to help:  https://list.sfgreens.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/
action

---------

Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!

Two years ago, former organizers for the Matt Gonzalez for Mayor
campaign decided it was time to stop getting 'close but not close
enough' to progressive victories like public power and Matt as Mayor,
and to begin a city wide, year round, grassroots campaign that would
start helping us win such victories!

So in January 2004, the organization Our City was born. Since then we
have helped to:

- Pass the ban on old polluting diesel buses
- Pass Matt Gonzalez's anti chain store law
- Get the downtown hotel workers back on the job, and
- Get the Police and Planning Commissions put back on SF Government TV
after the City tried to pull them off.

Now we are campaigning to get rid of PG&E's monopoly on our electricity
service, and start running the City on renewable energy like solar and
wind power instead!

We have just begun hiring and training new grassroots campaigners to
help us win this fight.
No experience necessary.
Earn $280 to $400 each four day work week learning to be a strong
progressive organizer.
To apply, call Eric at 415-756-8844 from noon to 2pm any weekday, or
send an email to jobs at our-city.org

For more information, see our web site at http://our-city.org

---------

Support the San Francisco Green Party by Becoming a Sustainer

The San Francisco Green Party needs donations for rent on the office,
mailings, signs, and many other expenditures in order to wage
effective political campaigns.

We are especially interested in building up our base of "sustaining
members," those who agree to contribute a certain amount each month
by credit card. By becoming a sustaining member you save us money and
time that we can then devote to our political work. It is a method of
donation that is perfect for a grassroots organization like the Green
Party as it allows us to thrive off of many, many small and medium
size donations instead of depending on a few large donors.

For more information, please visit the MAKE A DONATION page on the
website at http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html

For questions about the sustaining member program contact
treasurer at sfgreens.org

To make a one-time donation by mail please send a check made out to
The San Francisco Green Party to:

San Francisco Green Party
1028A Howard St.
San Francisco, CA 94103