[SFGP] SF Green Party Weekly 9/13-9/19

announce at sfgreens.org announce at sfgreens.org
Wed Sep 13 00:24:03 PDT 2006

SF GREEN PARTY WEEKLY 9/13/06-9/19/06

NEWS:
- The Age of 9/11, by Krissy Keefer (http://www.sfbg.com/entry.php?
entry_id=1590)
- The Progressive Challenge to Nancy Pelosi (http://
www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1528)
- Sharing the stage with Ned and Joe (http://www.sfgreenparty.org/
news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1527)

EVENTS:
This week:
- 9/13: General Membership Endorsement meeting
- 9/13: FILM: Iraq For Sale
- 9/14: Join Krissy Keefer for Congress!
- 9/14: Kickoff party for John Rizzo's College Board Race
- 9/15: Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi Hosts Art Opening
- 9/16: Meet Marie Harrison, Candidate for District 10 Supervisor
- 9/17: Progressive Organizing Center Open House
Next week:
- 9/18: Special Invitation: 9/18 Gala Event for Democracy
- 9/20: Final Endorsement meeting
- 9/21: CODEPINK Peace Ribbon Quilt
- 9/21: Support a Free Media!

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:
- 9/21: Green Party Congressional Candidate Krissy Keefer Appears on
Channel 29 7:30PM-8:30PM
- 10/03: Green Party Congressional Candidate Krissy Keefer Appears on
Channel 29 7:00PM-8:00PM
- FILM: IRAQ FOR SALE in Bay Area September & October! For
screenings, see http://iraqforsale.org/screenings.php
- Car-Free Talk with Green Party Activist Sue Vaughan

IN EVERY ISSUE:
- Discuss Instant Runoff Voting in Green Party Activist Jim
Dorenkott's Blog (http://www.dailykos.com/user/jim%20d)
- Take Action!
- Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!
- Support the San Francisco Green Party by Becoming a Sustainer

JOKE OF THE WEEK:
- ABS Commits Embarrassing Faux Pas As It Edits Path to 9/11 (http://
www.alternet.org/blogs/video/41449/)

EVENTS:

9/13: FILM: Iraq For Sale

WHEN:
Wednesday, September 13, 2006
6:00PM: Wine & Hors d'Oeuvres at Amnesty International w/ Robert
Greenwald two blocks away
Film starts 7:00PM

WHERE:
Embarcadero Center Cinema (Capacity is 300), One Embarcadero Center,
San Francisco, California 94111
For map and directions, see http://maps.yahoo.com/beta/
index.php#maxp=search&q1=One%20Embarcadero%20Center,San%20Francisco%2C
%20CA&trf=0&mag=3

TICKETS:
To purchase tickets, go to http://virtuous.com/event/3334090513/ or
call 415-291-9233, extension 201 with Name, Number of guests &
payment information.

DETAILS:
After the film, there will be a discussion with filmmaker Robert
Greenwald, CorpWatch Managing Editor & Program Director Pratap
Chatterjee, and Amnesty International Director of Business and Human
Rights, Mila Rosenthal.

For other screenings of this film in the Bay Area, see http://
iraqforsale.org/screenings.php for dates, times, and places.

---------

9/13: Special Endorsement General Meeting

WHEN:
Wednesday, September 13, 2006
7:30PM-9:30PM

WHERE:
1028 A Howard St (between 6th St. and 7th St.), San Francisco, CA

DETAILS:
See County Council meeting details.

---------

9/14: Kickoff party for John Rizzo's College Board Race

WHEN:
Thursday, September 14
5:00 pm

WHERE:
111 Minna at Second Street, San Francisco

INFORMATION:
Contact events at johnrizzoforcollegeboard.com

DETAILS:
Join Matt Gonzalez, Ross Mirkarimi, Jane Kim, and a host of others
for music, food, and great conversation to help create a City College
that offers education to all, integrated with the community.

---------

9/14: Join Krissy Keefer for Congress!

WHEN:
Thursday, September 14
7:00-8:00PM

WHERE:
SF Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th and 7th
Streets), San Francisco

INFORMATION, CONTACT:
Julia at jojohit at hotmail.com for more info

DETAILS:
Find out how you can get involved in the Keefer for Congress campaign.

---------

Friday, September 15, 2006
5:00PM-8:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco City Hall, 1 Carlton B Goodlett Place, Room 282, San
Francisco, CA

COST: Free

DETAILS:
Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi hosts the Monthly Third Friday’s Art
Reception in his City Hall office. This month’s featured artists are
Alika Cooper, Sacha Eckes, and Rachell Sumpter.

In this show titled “It won’t hurt,” these artists explore the
ironies inherent in our society, reflect the social truths of the
past and present, and explore themes such as our social roles and
expectations. Their art serves as a social commentary by capturing
our desire for a sense of belonging and home, and by recording our
attempt to navigate uneasy relationships and even our isolation. The
show will include works in gouache, acrylic, and watercolor on paper
and panel, and ink on paper.

Alika Cooper received her MFA at the California College of Arts in
San Francisco, and has shown in the Bay Area at Low Gallery, JFKU
Arts and Consciousness Gallery, the Richmond Art Center, Varnish, 111
Minna, the San Francisco Arts Commission Gallery, Magic Theatre,
Receiver and Lobot. She is represented by Lightbox Gallery in Los
Angeles, and recently exhibited at the Scope Hamptons Art Fair in New
York, the California College of the Arts MFA Show, and the Front Room
Gallery in Brooklyn, NY. See her work at www.alikacooper.com

Belgian-born Sacha Eckes studied printmaking at the St Lucas Higher
Institute of Fine Arts in Gent. She has exhibited at numerous San
Francisco galleries including The Lab, 111 Minna Gallery, National
Product, Needles and Pens, Low Gallery and The Adobe Back Room
Gallery. Her work is currently heavily influenced by politics,
zombies, heart break and bits and pieces of paper. See her work at
www.sachaeckes.com

Rachell Sumpter has held exhibitions in Portland, Bristol (United
Kingdom), New York, Philadelphia, San Francisco, the Urban Institute
of Contemporary Arts in Michigan, and Los Angeles including a group
installation projects at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. See
her work at www.rachellsumpter.com.

---------

Saturday, September 16, 2006
2:00PM-4:00PM

WHERE:
547 Douglass St., (betw. 21st & 22nd  St.), San Francisco, CA
Buses:  48, 24, 35
Street parking is fairly easy.

RSVP:
Terry Baum
415 648-5244
terry at terrybaum.com

DETAILS:
Marie was a leader of the SUCCESSFUL campaign to shut down the PG&E
power plant in the Bayview.  She’s a great community organizer and
will make a great supervisor.  Bayview/Hunters Point is under the
gun, with this redevelopment plan that threatens a vital African-
Amercian community.  We ALL need to get involved with the issues of
D-10:  – redevelopment, gentrification, pollution, youth violence.
If we, as San Franciscans, care about the world, then we must care
about everyone in this city.  CHARITY BEGINS AT HOME!

Food and drink provided.  Bring your checkbook.

Please come and relax in my beautiful garden and learn about a great
candidate and a great neighborhood.
(Website: electmarie.freeservers.com)

---------

Sunday, September 17, 2006
12 noon merchant walk with candidates and campaigns
2-3:30 open house

WHERE:
4760 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA

DETAILS:
Meet, greet, volunteer and take action. Engage in election 2006! Call
vicki for more info or how you can participate
415-290-0722

---------

Monday, September 18, 2006
Starts 6:00PM

WHERE:
The Beacon Ballroom, 260 King Street (corner of King and 4th
streets), San Francisco, CA
View map athttp://www.google.com/maphp?hl=en&tab=wl&q=260%20King%
20Street,%20San%20Francisco%20CA

DETAILS:
Matt Gonzalez (former president of the SF Board of Supervisors),
Krissy Keefer (for Congress, District 8)Aimee Allison (Oakland City
Council candidate), and Gayle McLaughlin (RIchmond Mayoral candidate)
cordially invited you to attend a special Fundraising Reception for
Forrest Hill, Green Party candidate for Secretary of State.

Phil Walker of the law firm of Adelson, Testan, and Brundo, is
hosting a gala fundraiser at the Beacon Ballroom for Forrest Hill,
Green Party candidate for Secretary of State.

Mr. Walker was the Host and Creator of the television show "Out and
Beyond", is a former national legal columnist for Genre Magazine, and
is a well know leader in San Francisco's gay community.

Matt Gonzalez, Distrct 8 Congressional candidate Krissy Keefer,
Oakland City Council Candidate Aimee Allison, Richmond City Council
member and Mayoral Candidate Gayle McLaughlin, and other guest
officials will join us.

If scheduling conflicts prevent you from attending these events,
please consider making an on-line contribution by going to https://
www.voteforrest.org/donate

Help support Forrest's grassroots campaign for Free and Fair
Elections in California!

Event Sponsors: Phil Walker and Steven Jimenez

---------

Thursday, September 21, 2006
4:00PM-6:00PM
6:00PM-8:30PM Candlelight Interfaith Vigil to follow at Civic Center

WHERE:
Offices of Supervisor Chris Daly, 1 Carlton B Goodlett Place, San
Francisco City Hall, San Francisco, CA

INFORMATION, CONTACT:
Supervisor Chris Daly 415-554-7970  CODEPINK 415-575-5555
http://www.codepink4peace.org/article.php?list=type&type=17
http://declarationofpeace.org/
**this event is free, open to the public, and wheelchair accessable**

DETAILS:
The CODEPINK Peace Ribbon Quilt is more than 150 2’x3’ handmade
panels commemorating lives of U.S. soldiers and Iraqi civilians lost
during the illegal occupation.  It has traveled throughout the United
States, to the World Peace Conference in Vancouver, Jordan, Lebanon,
at Camp Casey outside Bush’s Crawford Ranch, and is in San Francisco
for a month of showings and Peace Events, and full participation with
the Declaration of Peace.

San Francisco CODEPINK will spend the month with the Peace Ribbon
Quilt bringing the message of End the War in Iraq, End the War on Our
Streets, the affect of the war on all of us at home, and
IMPEACHMENT.  We are inviting the community to join these events,
with banners, panels, and displays commemorating those lost from the
wars on our streets, in our neighborhoods, and throughout many of our
cities (particularly San Francisco and Oakland ) and to have the
Peace Ribbon Quilt at events in the community DEMANDING PEACE AT HOME
AND ABROAD.

---------

9/21: Support a Free Media!

WHEN:
Thursday, September 21, 2006
8:00PM-midnight

WHERE:
Crash (34 Mason Street near Market), San Francisco, CA

DETAILS:
Josh Wolf is free for now but his case and the larger cause of a free
media persist. Josh has established the Rise Up Network (RUN) Legal
Fund which will be used to grant money to independent media makers
who find themselves in legal trouble and without money for
representation. This event, featuring Josh Wolf, will benefit the RUN
Legal Fund.

The program will include speakers, a silent art auction, live music
and/or DJ's. We will try to get as much media coverage as we can.

Actual and potential speakers: Josh Wolf, Judith Miller, Supervisor
Ross Mirkarimi, Supervisor Chris Daly, Supervisor Tom Ammianno, Bruce
Brugman of the Bay Guardian, Jeff Perlstein of the Media Alliance,
Rachel Gordon of the Chronicle, Rick Knee of the National Writers
Union and Sunshine Taskforce, John Barlow of the Electronic Frontier
Foundation, Njeri Sims - filmaker, Rob Los Ricos – writer/former
political prisonner (not all speakers are confirmed)

Live Music of Magnetism and Gaviotas

==============================

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:

9/21: Green Party Congressional Candidate Krissy Keefer Appears on
Channel 29 7:30PM-8:30PM

With host Steve Zeltzer, Republican candidate Mike DeNunzio,
Libertarian candidate Philip Berg, and an empty chair for Nancy Pelosi.

---------

10/03: Green Party Congressional Candidate Krissy Keefer Appears on
Channel 29 7:00PM-8:00PM

Call in from 7:30 to 8:00 -- phone number determined later

---------

Car-Free Talk with Green Party Activist Sue Vaughan

Keep an eye out for "Car-Free Talk" on San Francisco's public access
tv station,
Channel 29.  In the next show, David Fridley, staff scientist at
Lawrence Berkeley and member
of San Francisco Oil Awareness, discusses the myth of biofuels.

Date and time to be announced.

==============================

IN EVERY ISSUE:

Take Action!

Find out about opportunities to help our elected Greens (writing
letters, attending hearings, etc) -- subscribe to the SF Green Party
Action list! The Action list is a low-traffic list (approximately one
message per week in addition to our newsletter) telling you what you
can do to help:  https://list.sfgreens.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/
action

---------

Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!

Two years ago, former organizers for the Matt Gonzalez for Mayor
campaign decided it was time to stop getting 'close but not close
enough' to progressive victories like public power and Matt as Mayor,
and to begin a city wide, year round, grassroots campaign that would
start helping us win such victories!

So in January 2004, the organization Our City was born. Since then we
have helped to:

- Pass the ban on old polluting diesel buses
- Pass Matt Gonzalez's anti chain store law
- Get the downtown hotel workers back on the job, and
- Get the Police and Planning Commissions put back on SF Government TV
after the City tried to pull them off.

Now we are campaigning to get rid of PG&E's monopoly on our electricity
service, and start running the City on renewable energy like solar and
wind power instead!

We have just begun hiring and training new grassroots campaigners to
help us win this fight.
No experience necessary.
Earn $280 to $400 each four day work week learning to be a strong
progressive organizer.
To apply, call Eric at 415-756-8844 from noon to 2pm any weekday, or
send an email to jobs at our-city.org

For more information, see our web site at http://our-city.org

---------

Support the San Francisco Green Party by Becoming a Sustainer

The San Francisco Green Party needs donations for rent on the office,
mailings, signs, and many other expenditures in order to wage
effective political campaigns.

We are especially interested in building up our base of "sustaining
members," those who agree to contribute a certain amount each month
by credit card. By becoming a sustaining member you save us money and
time that we can then devote to our political work. It is a method of
donation that is perfect for a grassroots organization like the Green
Party as it allows us to thrive off of many, many small and medium
size donations instead of depending on a few large donors.

For more information, please visit the MAKE A DONATION page on the
website at http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html

For questions about the sustaining member program contact
treasurer at sfgreens.org

To make a one-time donation by mail please send a check made out to
“The San Francisco Green Party” to:

San Francisco Green Party
1028A Howard St.
San Francisco, CA 94103