[SFGP] SFGP Announcements

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Wed Dec 19 20:56:47 PST 2007

ANNOUNCEMENT LIST FOR SF GREEN PARTY: December 20, 2007

Send Announcement items to <mailto:news at sfgreens.org>news at sfgreens.org.
Please keep items brief; submissions may be edited for length and content.
____________________

The Green Party General Membership Meeting is held every Third Wednesday of the Month.
1028-A Howard Street (between 6th and 7th Streets)
<http://www.sfgreenparty.org/>http://www.sfgreenparty.org/

____________________

EVENTS (San Francisco, unless otherwise noted)

* The Living Wage Celebration: Saturday, Dec. 22, 6 p.m., $5 donation
New College, 780 Valencia St.
The celebration benefits the San Francisco Living Wage Coalition, which campaigns for economic justice for low-wage workers. Food and raffle. Music by Robert Temple; Elizabeth, Nancy and Mario Esteva; the Peaceniks; and Raymundo Sanchez. Spoken word by Rolando Carrillo, Alfonso Texidor, and James Tracy.  Call 415-863-1225 or visit  <http://www.livingwage-sf.org>www.livingwage-sf.org

* Imagine Peace 2008 - New Year's Eve Party: Dec. 31, 9 p.m.-1 a.m.
Wax Museum, Fisherman's Wharf,  145 Jefferson St.
Celebrate New Year's Eve with CODEPINK and Global Exchange. Tickets at <http://www.globalexchange.org/imaginepeace2008>www.globalexchange.org/imaginepeace2008.

* Operation White Rose: Tuesday, Jan. 1, 2008, 7 a.m.- 9 p.m.
Join members of the White Rose Coalition, and congressional candidate/antiwar activist Cindy Sheehan, as they call for the impeachment of George Bush and Dick Cheney during the Rose Parade and the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. <http://www.bcimpeach.com/>http://www.bcimpeach.com/

* SF Green Party Special Endorsement Meeting: Monday, Jan. 7, 7 p.m.
1028-A Howard Street (between 6th and 7th streets)
Help determine our position on February ballot initiatives.

* Green Party General Membership Meeting:  Wednesday, Jan. 16, 7:30-9:30 p.m.
1028-A Howard Street (between 6th and 7th streets)
<http://www.sfgreenparty.org/>http://www.sfgreenparty.org/

* Reproductive Justice for All: Saturday, Jan. 19, 11 a.m.
We have the permit for Justin Herman Plaza, the same day 10,000 right wingers from the far reaches of California slither into town for their annual “Walk for Life­West Coast.”  Let's give them a real Bay Area Welcome! We’re taking back our public space from the Religious Right! We need you to join us in sending the message that the Bay Area stands for reproductive rights, and that Roe v. Wade must be defended and expanded, especially on this, the 35th anniversary of Roe.  For more info, email <mailto:BACORR at gmail.com>BACORR at gmail.com.

* Conference on Global Warming:  Wednesday, Jan. 30, 9 am to 9 pm & Thursday, Jan. 31, 9 am to 6 pm
SFSU, 1600 Holloway Ave, San Francisco, Jack Adams Hall
This free, two-day event features world class speakers, such as Van Jones, expert panels, a roundtable discussion with elected representatives, and a live satellite webcast featuring Hunter Lovins of the Rocky Mountain Institute and many others. For more info: <http://bss.sfsu.edu/envstudies/climate.html>http://bss.sfsu.edu/envstudies/climate.html, http://bss.sfsu.edu/envstudies/climate.html or call 415-405-0326.

* Chicago to Host 2008 National Green Party Convention: July 10-13, 2008
<http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1601>www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1601
____________________

NEWS

Activists Conduct Emergency Protest Over Speaker Pelosi’s Role in Torture
http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2007/12/12/18466626.php

PG&E Still Calls the Shots
http://www.sfbg.com/entry.php?entry_id=5176&catid=4&volume_id=317&issue_id=329&volume_num=42&issue_num=11

Committee Question’s KPFA’s Recent Local Station Board Election
<http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1625>http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1625

Former Democratic Congressperson Cynthia McKinney Joins Ralph Nader and Other Green Party Candidates on Presidential Ballot
<http://www.cagreens.org/press/pr071206.shtml>http://www.cagreens.org/press/pr071206.shtml

United Nations Convention on Climate Change Ends in Bali
~ Hoodwinked in Bali on Carbon Credits
<http://www.thenation.com/doc/20071224/wysham>http://www.thenation.com/doc/20071224/wysham
~ U.S. Reluctantly Backs Bali’s Climate “Road Map”
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/15/AR2007121500471.html>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/15/AR2007121500471.html

NSA Surveillance vs Personal Liberty
~ Harry Reid Bows to Pressure: Postpones Senate’s Telcom-Immunity Decision
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/17/AR2007121701001.html>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/17/AR2007121701001.html
~ Keep the Pressure On:  Email Your Senator & Tell Them to Hold Telecoms Accountable
<https://secure.eff.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=337>https://secure.eff.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=337

E.P.A. Says California Can’t Set Emission Rules for Cars
<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/20/washington/20epa.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin>http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/20/washington/20epa.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin
http://www.nrdc.org/media/2007/071219.asp

Bullshit -- The Most Important Issue to 2008 Voters
<http://www.theonion.com/content/video/poll_bullshit_is_most_important>http://www.theonion.com/content/video/poll_bullshit_is_most_important

BECOME A SUSTAINER FOR THE SAN FRANCISCO GREEN PARTY!

The San Francisco Green Party is engaged in numerous financially intensive activities/events, including our first-ever election newspaper with the SFGP's candidate and proposition endorsements for the recent November election.  We distributed the paper to every registered Green in San Francisco, which set us back thousands of dollars in mailing, production and printing costs.  Please help in our fundraising efforts by becoming a Green Party sustainer, or making a one-time donation!

Your generous contributions now will help us finish the year on strong financial footing and get a jump-start on the 2008 elections.  Please help us remain solvent by donating now!   <http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html>http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html