[SFGP] SF Green Party Weekly 1/10-1/16

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Wed Jan 10 03:34:14 PST 2007

SF GREEN PARTY WEEKLY 1/10/07-1/16/07

NEWS:
- School Board President Mark Sanchez, Board of Education Vice-
President Norman Yee, Progressives Gaining Power
	http://tinyurl.com/y6okfz
- Editorial: Green Era Begins
	http://tinyurl.com/y2kp22
- Matt Gonzalez for Mayor?
	http://tinyurl.com/y265kz
	http://tinyurl.com/yykur5
EVENTS:
This week:
- 1/11: Feminist Issues Group Meeting, Postponed to January 11, 2007
Next week:
- 1/13: Demand Living Wage Jobs, Picket Gavin Newsom's Town Hall Meeting
- 1/17: SFGP General Membership Meeting
Save the date:
- 1/23: Transportation Working Group
- 2/10: Workshop on Designing Leaflets
- 2/13: County Council Meeting
- 2/17: San Francisco Green Party's Annual Celebration

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:
- Car-Free Talk with Green Party Activist Sue Vaughan

IN EVERY ISSUE:
- Discuss Instant Runoff Voting in Green Party Activist Jim
Dorenkott's Blog (http://tinyurl.com/y2j2gs)
- Take Action!
- Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!
- Support the San Francisco Green Party by Becoming a Sustainer

JOKE OF THE WEEK:
- Neologisms

EVENTS:

1/11: Feminist Issues Group Meeting, Postponed to January 11, 2007
WHEN:
Thursday, January 11, 2007
6:30PM

WHERE:
Wild Awakenings, 142 McAllister, San Francisco, CA

DETAILS:
Due to the number of inaugural activities this week, the FIG meeting,
which normally meets every first Thursday of the month, will be
postponed one week later.

Agenda for this meeting:
- Time to elect new chair(s)
- Prioritize our objectives for the new year
- Plan and prepare for future electoral opportunities and challenges.

---------

Saturday, January 13, 2007
9:00AM

WHERE:
Richmond Recreation Center, 251 – 18th Avenue (between Clement and
California), San Francisco, CA

DIRECTIONS:
Public transit: – Near 1 California and 2 Clement, one-and-a-half
blocks from 38 Geary.

Carpool leaves at 8:30 a.m. from Redstone Building, 2940-16th Street,
between Mission and South Van Ness, near 16th Street BART.

INFORMATION, RSVP:
Call 415-863-1225

DETAILS:
Newsom, You Can Run but You Can’t Hide: Low-wage Workers Take Message
to Mayor as He Dodges Question Time Session with Board of Supervisors

The City’s social infrastructure is in a state of crisis. City-funded
non-profit agencies cannot retain experienced workers as they are
pushed out of San Francisco by the rising cost-of-living. High turn-
over is threatening the quality of services that San Franciscans
expect and need. The wage required under the Minimum Compensation
Ordinance for non-profit workers working on a city service contract
has fallen below the city-wide minimum wage. Homecare workers only
received a 1.6 percent wage increase last year and the inflation rate
was 2.8 percent.

Join us for an informational picket and leafleting of Mayor Gavin
Newsom’s town-hall meeting

We demand that the Mayor:
    * Meet with low-wage non-profit workers who are providing
valuable services to residents of the City
    * Support the Ammiano/McGoldrick amendments to the living wage law
    * Budget wage increases for non-profit workers, homecare workers
and parents working for a CalWORKs grant

---------

Wednesday, January 17, 2007
7:30PM-9:30PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St.
and 7th St.), San Francisco, CA 94103

DETAILS:
This is the monthly meeting of the SF Green Party. The agenda is set
by the CC the previous week, but can be modified at the beginning of
the meeting.

Agenda: Facil Sue and Marc, Notes Susan, Timekeeper Jim.

5 minutes - Intro and accreditation.

15 minutes - Decision, Compassionate Use endorsement. Shona will
email text to post here.

2 minutes - Presentation, Progressive Pledge of Allegiance (Jim Adams)

5-10 minutes - John Rizzo Update, and potential announcement of
longer discussion with him later at a CIWG meeting 1st Monday in
February.

15 minutes - Bylaws: First reading of proposed bylaws change (below)
dealing with selection of GPCA delegates

5 minutes - Bylaws discussion: get more feedback on what the GM/WG
quorums should be.

30 minutes - Discussion of our endorsement policy

2 minutes - Transgender Training

20 minutes - Working Group Reports: People of Color Caucus,
Transportation, Animal Advocacy, HLU, CIWG, GROW, Westside, FIG,
Sustainability, Electoral Reform

5 minutes - Announcement of wanting to form a WG: Compassionate Use and

10 minutes - GPCA report, Bruce

Announcements

---------

Tuesday, January 23, 2007
7:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St.
and 7th St.), San Francisco, CA 94103

DETAILS:
Topics for discussion: MUNI riders union, free MUNI, and others
suggested by participants. We will also submit our active membership
list for 2007 (based on participation in the group in 2006) and elect
new co-chairs

---------

Saturday, February 10, 2007
2:00PM-6:00PM

WHERE:
2940 – 16th St. Room 204 (between Mission and South Van Ness), San
Francisco, CA

INFORMATION:
Call the San Francisco Living Wage Coalition at 513-5393 or email
sflivingwage at riseup.net

DETAILS:
Workshop on Designing Leaflets with Russell Kilday-Hicks Russell is
editor-in-chief of a statewide union paper for staff working on the
23 campuses of the California State University system, and production
editor for “Green Focus,” the California Green Party newspaper. He
has taught newspaper production at Laney and is a teaching assistant
in Workplace Ethics and Environmental Ethics courses. He is statewide
chair of the communication committee of CSEA Local 1000, SEIU, and
chair of the City of Berkeley’s Commission on Labor.

---------

2/13: County Council Meeting

WHEN:
Tuesday, February 13, 2007
7:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St.
and 7th St.), San Francisco, CA 94103

DETAILS:
Join us to plan the agenda for the following Wednesday's General
Meeting.

---------

Saturday, February 17, 2007
7:00PM-10:00PM

WHERE:
Dance Mission Theater, 3316 24th Street, San Francisco (across from
24th St BART)

DETAILS:
Join host Krissy Keefer as we welcome our elected Green and
progressive representatives in our annual bash featuring music, guest
speakers, performances and more!

==============================

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:

Car-Free Talk with Green Party Activist Sue Vaughan

Keep an eye out for "Car-Free Talk" on San Francisco's public access
tv station, Channel 29.  In the next show, David Fridley, staff
scientist at Lawrence Berkeley and member of San Francisco Oil
Awareness, discusses the myth of biofuels.

Date and time to be announced.

==============================

IN EVERY ISSUE:

Take Action!

Find out about opportunities to help our elected Greens (writing
letters, attending hearings, etc) -- subscribe to the SF Green Party
Action list! The Action list is a low-traffic list (approximately one
message per week in addition to our newsletter) telling you what you
can do to help:  https://list.sfgreens.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/
action

---------

Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!

Three years ago, former organizers for the Matt Gonzalez for Mayor
campaign decided it was time to stop getting 'close but not close
enough' to progressive victories like public power and Matt as Mayor,
and to begin a city wide, year round, grassroots campaign that would
start helping us win such victories!

So in January 2004, the organization Our City was born. Since then we
have helped to:

- Pass the ban on old polluting diesel buses
- Pass Matt Gonzalez's anti chain store law
- Get the downtown hotel workers back on the job, and
- Get the Police and Planning Commissions put back on SF Government
TV after the City tried to pull them off.

Now we are campaigning to end PG&E's monopoly and run the City on
renewable energy like solar and wind power, and to stop corporations
from taking private monopoly control of the new public internet and
cable system being built for San Francisco.

We have just begun hiring and training new grassroots organizers to
help us win these campaigns.

No experience necessary.

Earn $280 to $400 each four day work week learning to be a strong
progressive organizer.

To apply, call Eric at 415-756-8844 from noon to 2pm any weekday, or
send an email to jobs at our-city.org

For more information, see our web site at http://our-city.org

---------

Support the San Francisco Green Party by Becoming a Sustainer

The San Francisco Green Party needs donations for rent on the office,
mailings, signs, and many other expenditures in order to wage
effective political campaigns.

We are especially interested in building up our base of "sustaining
members," those who agree to contribute a certain amount each month
by credit card. By becoming a sustaining member you save us money and
time that we can then devote to our political work. It is a method of
donation that is perfect for a grassroots organization like the Green
Party as it allows us to thrive off of many, many small and medium
size donations instead of depending on a few large donors.

For more information, please visit the MAKE A DONATION page on the
website at http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html

For questions about the sustaining member program contact
treasurer at sfgreens.org

To make a one-time donation by mail please send a check made out to
The San Francisco Green Party to:

San Francisco Green Party
1028A Howard St.
San Francisco, CA 94103

==============================

JOKE OF THE WEEK:

Neologisms

Once again, The Washington Post has published the winning submissions
to its yearly neologism contest, in which readers are asked to supply
alternate meanings for common words. The winners are:

1. Coffee (n.), the person upon whom one coughs.

2. Flabbergasted (adj.), appalled over how much weight you have gained.

3. Abdicate (v.), to give up all hope of ever having a flat stomach.

4. Esplanade (v.), to attempt an explanation while drunk.

5. Willy-nilly (adj.), impotent.

6. Negligent (adj.), describes a condition in which you
absentmindedly answer the door in your nightgown.

7. Lymph (v.), to walk with a lisp.

8. Gargoyle (n.), olive-flavored mouthwash.

9. Flatulence (n.) emergency vehicle that picks you up after you are
run over by a steamroller.

10. Balderdash (n.), a rapidly receding hairline.

11. Testicle (n.), a humorous question on an exam.

12. Rectitude (n.), the formal, dignified bearing adopted by
proctologists.

The Washington Post's Style Invitational also asked readers to take
any word from the dictionary, alter it by adding, subtracting, or
changing one letter, and supply a new definition.

Here are this year's winners:

1. Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops
bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows
little sign of breaking down in the near future.

2. Foreploy (v): Any misrepresentation about yourself for the purpose
of getting laid.

3. Cashtration (n.): The act of buying a house, which renders the
subject financially impotent for an indefinite period.

4. Giraffiti (n): Vandalism spray-painted very,very high.

5. Sarchasm (n): The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the
person who doesn't get it.

6. Inoculatte (v): To take coffee intravenously when you are running
late.

7. Hipatitis (n): Terminal coolness.

8. Osteopornosis (n): A degenerate disease. (This one got extra credit.)

9. Karmageddon (n): its like, when everybody is sending off all these
really bad vibes, right? And then, like, the Earth explodes and it's
like, a serious bummer.

10 Decafalon (n.): The grueling event of getting through the day
consuming only things that are good for you.

11. Glibido (v): All talk and no action.

12. Dopeler effect (n): The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter
when they come at you rapidly.

13. Arachnoleptic fit (n.): The frantic dance performed just after
you've accidentally walked through a spider web.

14. Beelzebug (n.): Satan in the form of a mosquito that gets into
your bedroom at three in the morning and cannot be cast out.

15. Caterpallor (n.): The color you turn after finding half a grub in
the fruit you're eating.

And the pick of the literature:

16. Ignoranus (n): A person who's both stupid and an asshole.