[SFGP] SF Green Party Weekly Newsletter, July 15 2007

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Sun Jul 15 21:25:41 PDT 2007

SF GREEN PARTY WEEKLY NEWSLETTER

NEWS:
- Steve Hill, long-time Green Party advocate for electoral reform,
  explains how Ed Jew got elected:
	http://tinyurl.com/yv5bj7

- SF Green Party Sustainability Working Group co-chair Eric Brooks
  writes about the connection between Neighborhood-based Electricity
  and Neighborhood-based Democracy:
	http://tinyurl.com/3bs6td

- Green Party Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi promotes gun control:
	http://tinyurl.com/27cq74

- Green Party College Board member John Rizzo introduces fiscal
  oversight at City College:
	Part 1: http://www.sfbg.com/printable_entry.php?entry_id=3978
	Part 2: http://www.sfbg.com/printable_entry.php?entry_id=4034

- Former Green Party supervisorial candidate Renee Saucedo fights for
  affordable housing and a day labor center.  Congratulations to Planning
  Commissioner (and Green County Council member) Christina Olague for
  her support for neighborhood priorities on the project:
	http://tinyurl.com/2cl24h

- Green Party good-government advocate Joe Lynn explains what's
  wrong with the SF Ethics Commission and how to fix it:
	Part 1: http://www.sfbg.com/printable_entry.php?entry_id=3982
	Part 2: http://www.sfbg.com/printable_entry.php?entry_id=4050

EVENTS:

7/18 - General Membership Meeting

WHEN:
Wednesday, July 18
7:30PM-9:30PM

WHERE:
SFGP Office, 1028A Howard St

DETAILS:

	This is the monthly general meeting of the SF Green Party.
First-time attendees are welcome!  This month, we will have a
report-back from the US Social Forum in Atlanta from several people
who attended, including Supervisor Chris Daly.  We will also decide on
several resolutions, and make our first endorsement of the 2007
campaign season.  Please read the text of all proposals online before
coming to the meeting; to save paper, we usually don't make many
printed copies.

The full meeting agenda (including proposals) is posted on our
website:
  http://sfgreenparty.org/events/events-itemfromhome.gem?idx=1751

---------

7/22 - Westside Green Club Meeting

WHEN:
Sunday, July 22
3-5 PM

WHERE:
At the home of Barry Hermanson, 2467 28th Ave, near Ulloa.

For more information, call Barry at 415-664-7754, or Nancy Lewis at
415-661-5713.

==============================

ANNOUNCEMENTS:

Newsletter Editor needed

Thanks to Rosalind Lord for her long service as Newsletter Editor!  If
you're a San Francisco Green Party member who's interested in editing
our weekly newsletter (this one), please contact the County Council at
cc at sfgreens.org.

---------

New County Council Members Needed

The San Francisco Green Party County Council is looking to nominate
new members. Individuals of all walks of life that wish to help build
the Green Party should email cc at sfgreens.org to seek a nomination.
Asian Americans, Pacific Islanders,  and young adults are currently
under represented and are particularly encouraged to seek a nomination.

The County Council meets one Tuesday a month and is charged with
overseeing the workings of the local Green Party.

---------

Take Action!

Find out about opportunities to help our elected Greens (writing
letters, attending hearings, etc) -- subscribe to the SF Green Party
Action list! The Action list is a low-traffic list (approximately one
message per month in addition to our newsletter) telling you what you
can do to help:

---------

Support the San Francisco Green Party by Becoming a Sustainer

The San Francisco Green Party needs donations for rent on the office,
mailings, signs, and many other expenditures in order to wage
effective political campaigns.

We are especially interested in building up our base of "sustaining
members," those who agree to contribute a certain amount each month
by credit card. By becoming a sustaining member you save us money and
time that we can then devote to our political work. It is a method of
donation that is perfect for a grassroots organization like the Green
Party as it allows us to thrive off of many, many small and medium
size donations instead of depending on a few large donors.

For more information, please visit the MAKE A DONATION page on the
website at http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html

For questions about the sustaining member program contact
treasurer at sfgreens.org

To make a one-time donation by mail please send a check made out to
The San Francisco Green Party to:

San Francisco Green Party
1028A Howard St.
San Francisco, CA 94103