[SFGP] SF Green Party Weekly 3/7-3/13

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Wed Mar 7 18:13:05 PST 2007

SF GREEN PARTY WEEKLY 3/7/07-3/13/07

NEWS:
- Early CA presidential primary hurts voters, say Greens
	http://tinyurl.com/2hd52y

EVENTS:
This week:
- 3/9: Protest BattleCry Rally in front of City Hall!
- 3/11: WestSide Green Club
- 3/15: National Health Care Plans of the 2008 Presidential candidate
- 3/19: Protest Chevron World Headquarters
- 3/19: Stop Funding the War in Iraq! Protest w Matt Gonzalez, Ross
Mirkarimi etc.

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:
- Green Activists Needed for Campaign Demanding that Congress Bring
Troops Home
- URGENT: Help Get Conscientious Objector Agustin Aguayo Out of Jail!
	See www.aguayodefense.org for details.
	For details on how to write to Agustin, and donate to his legal
defense fund, see Helga Aguayo's letter below

IN EVERY ISSUE:
- Nancy Pelosi Watch, newly designed by Micheas Herman!
(www.pelosiwatch.us)
- Gavin Newsom Watch (http://tinyurl.com/23v3gp)
- Car-Free Talk with Green Party Activist Sue Vaughan
- Discuss Instant Runoff Voting in Green Party Activist Jim
Dorenkott's Blog (http://tinyurl.com/y2j2gs)
- Take Action!
- Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!
- Support the San Francisco Green Party by Becoming a Sustainer

NOT SO MUCH OF A JOKE OF THE WEEK:
- We Will Not Be Silenced (http://tinyurl.com/cwyys)

EVENTS:

3/9: Protest BattleCry Rally in front of City Hall!

WHEN:
Friday, March 9, 2007

Permitted protest, rally and press conference:
12:00 noon to 2:00PM

3:00PM to 5:00PM:
Counter-protest: We Will Not Tolerate Intolerance!

WHERE:
San Francisco City Hall on the steps facing Civic Center Plaza, San
Francisco

INFORMATION:
To find out more, or to request press interviews with event
spokespeople, call the World Can’t Wait (415) 864-5153 or email:
sf at worldcantwait.org

DETAILS:
The Christian Right is preaching an anti-choice anti-gay radical
fundamentalism on the steps of San Francisco’s City Hall & in San
Francisco’s ballpark!

“BattleCry for a Generation,” are back to hold a 2nd annual mega-
revival rally at ATT/SBC Park March 9 through March 10 - kicking off
with a city hall protest.

Join the World Can’t Wait - Drive Out The Bush Regime!, Bay Area
Coalition for Reproductive Rights (BACORR), Not In Our Name (Bay
Area) and other progressive organizations to show the world that
BattleCry’s intolerance is re- sisted in San Francisco. Everyone is
wel- come - of all creeds, faiths, and commu- nities - who wants to
stand up and say; “Religion is one thing, but Theocracy is another -
the Christian Right is Wrong!”

---------

3/11: WestSide Green Club

WHEN:
Sunday, March 11, 2007
3:00PM - 5:00PM

WHERE:
Home of Barry Hermanson, 2467 - 28th Avenue (between Taraval &
Ulloa), San Francisco

CONTACT, INFORMATION:
Call Barry at 664-7754 or Nancy Lewis at 661-5713

AGENDA:

 From 3:00 to 3:30 - Business

 From 3:30 to 5:30 - Brainstorming about 2007 and 2008 activity for
the WestSide Green Club

---------

3/15: National Health Care Plans of the 2008 Presidential candidate

WHEN:
Thursday, March 15th, 2007
7:00PM

WHERE:
626 Pacheco, near 10th, San Francisco

DETAILS:
Dr. Quentin Young, MD president of CaPA and  PNHP (California
Physicians Alliance/Physicians for National Health Care).  Come hear
a  critical review of the candidates and their health care plans.

---------

Monday, March 19, 2007
7:00AM - 11:00AM

WHERE:
6001 Bollinger Canyon Road at Sunset, just east of Hwy 680, San Ramon

HOW TO GET THERE:
 From Walnut Creek BART: a short ride on County Connection shuttle
121, or flat 12 mile bike ride.
We're also working on providing transportation.

INFORMATION:
For nonviolent direct action preparation, transportation, to get
involved and for more info: www.MySpace.com/ProtestChevron

DETAILS:
Why protest Chevron?

1: OIL. EXPOSE THE OIL AGENDA BEHIND THE WAR.

It's simple: Before the war U.S. and British oil companies were all
but shut out of Iraq's oil. Now, they're getting ready to take
control of it and Chevron's at the front of the pack. Within a year
of the invasion, Chevron's profits nearly doubled, and each year
since then, Chevron has set new record profits, with 2006 the
company's most profitable year ever. Those profits have been driven
by Iraqi oil, which Chevron refines in Richmond.

We join activists from across Europe and the U.S. who, on March 18 &
19, will demand that Big Oil and our governments get their "Hands Off
Iraqi Oil!" We will expose the Iraqi Oil Theft Law that would turn
Iraq's oil over to foreign oil companies including Chevron.

What is the "the Iraq Oil Theft Law?" The brainchild of the Bush
administration and U.S. oil companies, a new oil law nearing passage
in Iraq would radically transform Iraq from a nationalized oil system
all but closed to U.S. oil companies, to a commercialized system, all-
but-privatized, and open to private foreign corporate control.

See “Iraqi Trade Unions Unite to Oppose Undemocratic Oil Law In a
joint statement” (http://tinyurl.com/2jbymy)

Support real democracy in Iraq. End the US occupation of Iraq. Defeat
the oil theft law. Hands off Iraqi oil.

2: CLIMATE. WE DEMAND CLIMATE JUSTICE NOW!

With just 4% of the world's population, we in the US release 25% of
all global carbon emissions. Oil and oil-driven consumption are a
primary cause of greenhouse gas pollutants which fuel climate crisis.
Chevron is the 2nd largest oil company in the U.S. and the 5th
largest in the world.

Chevron sabotages domestic efforts to transition to a green economy
and refuses to invest in any significant way in alternative forms of
green energy.

WE DEMAND ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE NOW! Chevron poisons local
communities from Richmond, to Ecuador and Nigeria. The Chevron
refinery in Richmond spews a deadly array of toxins into the air,
water, and land, including cancer-causing dioxins, on the largely
African American, South East Asian, and Latino communities. The
refinery and plant have had hundreds of accidents, including fires,
spills, leaks, explosions, toxic gas releases, flaring, and air
contaminations causing severe illness, including asthma and deadly
cancers, for the people of Richmond. The people of Richmond are
fighting back and demanding that Chevron clean up or get out.

We need to imagine a world without Chevron, its oil, and its climate
chaos.

3: EMPIRE. WE RECOGNIZE THAT TO STOP WAR, WE MUST END EMPIRE.
To end current and future U.S. wars and occupations, to stop climate
chaos, to increase democracy and human rights at home, to redirect
resources to urgent human and environmental needs, to take apart a
global economic and political system that benefits mega corporations
at the expense of the planet, we must change the underlying U.S.
government policies of empire.

"Empire" is now used by both critics and advocates to describe the
unparalleled U.S. system of economic, political, cultural, and
military domination. We pay a high price to live in an Empire,
including $441 billion a year on a military of over 2 1/2 million
soldiers with more than 700 bases spread across 130 countries
fighting ever-increasing wars to feed the Empire and expand its control.

To Stop Wars in Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, etc. we must end Empire!

PLEASE JOIN US!

---------

Monday, March 19, 2007
12 noon - 1:30PM

WHERE:
Nancy Pelosi’s office, 450 Golden Gate @ Polk, San Francisco

INFORMATION:
www.stopfundingthewar.com

DETAILS:
On the Fourth anniversary of Iraq War, demand Nancy Pelosi to stop
funding it. Speakers include: Matt Gonzalez, Peter Camejo, Ross
Mirkarimi,; Endorsers include SF Green Party, Labor Council, UFPJ,
Voters for Peace, Iraq War Veterans, Gold Star Mothers.

==============================

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:

Green Activists Needed for Campaign Demanding that Congress Bring
Troops Home

On Monday, February 5, 2007,  a national campaign began to occupy
congressional offices asking them to vote for bills which pull the
troops out immediately, and cut the funding for the occupation of
Iraq. The Green Party seeks volunteers to establish a Green Party
presence in this campaign, and participate in it. Our voices
especially need to be heard by Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi, since she
is speaker of the house and thus in a position of big influence. If
you want to make a stronger statement than just emails, get involved!
Please contact Jim Dorenkott at jimdorenkott2 at yahoo.com if you'd like
to find out how.

---------

URGENT: Help Get Conscientious Objector Agustin Aguayo Out of Jail!

See letter from Helga Aguayo:

Dear Friends,
Some important dates for us:
January 13th, 2007 was Augie’s, original ETS (end term of service)
date.  But instead he was stop-lossed ( "STOP LOSS" means preventing
a soldier leaving the military, even though the required term of
service is completed).
December 17th was Augie's 35th birthday, spent of course in military
prison.   THANK YOU to everyone who sent him a card.

On December 12th, Augie had his Article 32 hearing  (a formal
military hearing that determines if there is enough evidence to
conduct a court martial, similar to a grand jury investigation).
His arraignment is currently scheduled for January 22nd;  according
to Dave Court, our new lawyer in Germany, this is "merely to
establish dates for trial, motions, exchange of witness lists, etc."
Nothing substantive will occur. Augie will be formally charged with
desertion and missing movement in a General Court Martial set to
occur in late February or March. A General Court-Martial is the most
serious criminal proceeding that can be brought against a member of
the military.  A conviction by this Court is considered a federal
felony and creates a criminal record for life.   FOR WHAT?! Not
wanting to kill, not wanting to contribute to the missions that kill,
for being against war! I feel SO SAD!

Meanwhile our case in civilian court is still pending. On November
21st, 2006 the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals heard Augie’s petition.
The ruling can take between 6 weeks to 6 months.  There is still hope
that he might get exonerated! Please keep Augie in your prayers.

Should the court martial go ahead,  I wish to testify.  I want the
court to realize that  his family mourns Augie's absence every second
of every day.  I hope the courtroom will be filled with supporters so
the  Army will know the world is watching.  For those of you based in
Europe, please consider attending if you can!  Whatever happens, I
will carry your strength, support, and solidarity with me in my
heart.  Our voices will unite. WE WILL BE HEARD!

Here in L.A., our twin daughters, Raquel and Rebecca have seen better
days.  They are struggling in school and may not pass 6th grade.
Last year at the U.S. base school in Germany, the girls were on the
honor role!   The turmoil has been hard on them.  I tell them every
day, “this will pass”.

Money issues -- I just sent  our German-based lawyer, David Court,
the next installment  on his fees: 1000 €.  I had to borrow some of
it. The next installment of 2000€ is due two weeks before the court-
martial.

Tax deductible donations to the Legal Defense Fund can be made via
<www.couragetoresist.org>. More direct donations (without a tax
deduction) can be made via <www.aguayodefense.org>. I need funds to
travel to Germany for the court martial too.

Right now I am fund-raising with Courage to Resist and Iraq Veteran's
Against the War.  I hope to see results soon.  I continue to do
interviews with various news organizations, including one today for
National Public Radio.  I think it went well.

Next week I start speaking at California high schools about the OTHER
SIDE of enlisting in the military.  It's called "counter-
recruitment".  As far as I understand, California is the only state
that MANDATES high school seniors hear both sides of military
recruitment.  This is a project that is dear to my heart!  Los
Angeles is the Number ONE recruitment city of high school seniors.  I
want to work to change that.

Meanwhile I attend rallies to publicize Augie's situation.  Many of
Augie's family members take part.

Some good news:  I have struggled to keep up the website:
<www.aguayodefense.org>.  Now a PROFESSIONAL web designer has
volunteered to take over. Hurrah! Improvements should be visible soon.

I THANK YOU all for working so hard and diligently to support Augie
and the family!

With all my love,

Helga P. Aguayo

36838 57th Street East
Palmdale, CA 93552
USA

To write to Agustin:

SPC Agustín Aguayo
Unit 29723
Box LL
APO, AE 09028-3810
USA

---------

Car-Free Talk with Green Party Activist Sue Vaughan

Keep an eye out for "Car-Free Talk" on San Francisco's public access
tv station, Channel 29.  In the next show, David Fridley, staff
scientist at Lawrence Berkeley and member of San Francisco Oil
Awareness, discusses the myth of biofuels.

Date and time to be announced.

==============================

IN EVERY ISSUE:

Take Action!

Find out about opportunities to help our elected Greens (writing
letters, attending hearings, etc) -- subscribe to the SF Green Party
Action list! The Action list is a low-traffic list (approximately one
message per week in addition to our newsletter) telling you what you
can do to help:  https://list.sfgreens.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/
action

---------

Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!

Three years ago, former organizers for the Matt Gonzalez for Mayor
campaign decided it was time to stop getting 'close but not close
enough' to progressive victories like public power and Matt as Mayor,
and to begin a city wide, year round, grassroots campaign that would
start helping us win such victories!

So in January 2004, the organization Our City was born. Since then we
have helped to:

- Pass the ban on old polluting diesel buses
- Pass Matt Gonzalez's anti chain store law
- Get the downtown hotel workers back on the job, and
- Get the Police and Planning Commissions put back on SF Government
TV after the City tried to pull them off.

Now we are campaigning to end PG&E's monopoly and run the City on
renewable energy like solar and wind power, and to stop corporations
from taking private monopoly control of the new public internet and
cable system being built for San Francisco.

We have just begun hiring and training new grassroots organizers to
help us win these campaigns.

No experience necessary.

Earn $280 to $400 each four day work week learning to be a strong
progressive organizer.

To apply, call Eric at 415-756-8844 from noon to 2pm any weekday, or
send an email to jobs at our-city.org

For more information, see our web site at http://our-city.org

---------

Support the San Francisco Green Party by Becoming a Sustainer

The San Francisco Green Party needs donations for rent on the office,
mailings, signs, and many other expenditures in order to wage
effective political campaigns.

We are especially interested in building up our base of "sustaining
members," those who agree to contribute a certain amount each month
by credit card. By becoming a sustaining member you save us money and
time that we can then devote to our political work. It is a method of
donation that is perfect for a grassroots organization like the Green
Party as it allows us to thrive off of many, many small and medium
size donations instead of depending on a few large donors.

For more information, please visit the MAKE A DONATION page on the
website at http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html

For questions about the sustaining member program contact
treasurer at sfgreens.org

To make a one-time donation by mail please send a check made out to
The San Francisco Green Party to:

San Francisco Green Party
1028A Howard St.
San Francisco, CA 94103