[SFGP] ANNOUNCEMENT LIST FOR THE SAN FRANCISCO GREEN PARTY

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Wed Apr 15 00:30:09 PDT 2009

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Thank you to the generous supporters who came to the rent party this
weekend and chipped in enough to cover the rent deficit for the next
two months!  Barry made some excellent homebrew and it was a beautiful
day for a barbecue.  Also special thanks to our treasurer for helping
keep things together in these tough economic times.  We are still in
great need of donations and encourage everyone who can to sign up to
become a sustaining member and have monthly donations of whatever you
can afford, automatically donated from your credit card.  Sign up here:
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html

Join the new SF Green Party Facebook Group!:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=62534706497

Congratulations to our fellow Green, Dave Snyder on his appointment to
the Golden Gate Transportation District!  (story below)

EVENTS

* Green Screen Free Thursday Theater: Thursday April 16, 7-11:30pm
Come join the SF Green Party for our weekly free movie screening!

Doors open at 7 for happy (half) hour, showtime 7:30

THIS WEEK A DOUBLE FEATURE:

7:30
"Cadillac Records" - The sounds of 1950s Chicago spring to life in
this musical drama based on the true story of Leonard Chess (Adrien
Brody), a bar owner turned record mogul who signs a lineup of future
legends to his fledgling label, Chess Records. He eventually crosses
paths with the likes of Muddy Waters (Jeffrey Wright), Chuck Berry
(Mos Def) and Etta James (Beyoncé Knowles), changing the face of
popular music forever. 109 minutes
9:30
"Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price" - Filmmaker Robert Greenwald
takes aim at the corporate giant that's come to symbolize big business
in America -- Wal-Mart -- blasting the box-store Goliath for allegedly
paying substandard wages, skimping on employee benefits and gutting
communities. This hard-hitting, emotional documentary profiles the
struggle of everyday folks from around the country who've committed
themselves to fighting the mega-retailer. 98 minutes

Stereo sound and a projector for the big screen feel.
Organic vegan popcorn and snacks provided!
Beer, cocktails, wine, kombucha and more available for a donation.

At the SFGP headquarters
1028 A Howard St (between 6th and 7th St)
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/events/events-itemfromhome.gem?idx=1893
___________________________

* Green Party General Membership Meeting: Wednesday, April 22, 7-9pm
1028-A Howard Street (between 6th and 7th streets)
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/
___________________________

* SAVE THE DATE: May 26th, 5-9pm - Join us for a celebration of
Supervisor Mirkarimi's appointment to the CA Coastal Commission, a
valuable body charged with protecting our beautiful coast!
At Madrone Lounge with live music from Garrin Benfield and more!
Details to come...

NEWS

Dave Snyder Wins Appointment to Golden Gate Bridge Commission
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1738

Is Newsom Holding Muni Budget Hostage?
http://www.beyondchron.org/news/index.php?itemid=6787

Should Lobbyist Reports Be Made Before Votes Taken?
http://www.beyondchron.org/news/index.php?itemid=6777

Vermont Becomes Fourth State To Allow Gay Marriage
http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSTRE53648V20090407
www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h2Mspxc0oJmt-hYKGWi-O6UpecGwD97DR3480

Timing Is Seen As Key in D.C., Vt. Votes on Gay Marriage
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/08/AR2009040804166.html

Are Starbucks and Whole Foods Union Busters?
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2009/04/are-starbucks-and-whole-foods-union-busting

Send Announcements to news at sfgreens.org
Please keep items brief; submissions may be edited for length and content.

Green Party General Membership Meetings are scheduled 7-9pm every
Fourth Wednesday of the Month

http://www.sfgreenparty.org/