[SFGP] GPCA 20-Year Anniversary Event February 6; Howard Zinn, Rest in Peace

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Sun Jan 31 12:10:37 PST 2010

 HelloFriends,

TheSan Francisco Green Party mourns the loss of the man, the author, the legend:Howard Zinn. His contributions to our society were immeasurable. See just ashort list of tributes to this great dissident in NEWS.

Itwas a busy week for the local Greens! Thanks to all who came out for our PeakOil Forum last Wednesday. It was engaging and informative. Additionally, localGreens Bruce Wolfe and Rich Stone had the honor of meeting with Internationalvisitors from Chile on Friday in a discussion hosted by the Institute forInternational Education (IIE).

Somegreat events are coming up this week, including the Laura Wells campaignkick-off and the Green Party of California’s 20-Year Anniversary event inBerkeley. Please join us!

NEWS:
Democracy Now! on Howard Zinn http://www.democracynow.org/tags/howard_zinn

Long Live “Zinn” http://www.zcommunications.org/znet/viewArticle/23744

HowardZinn: How I Want to Be Remembered...
http://www.commondreams.org/video/2010/01/29-2

EVENTS:
LauraWells for Governor Campaign Kickoff!
Monday, February 1
6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
LaEstrellita, 446 E 12th Street, (between 4th Ave & 5th Ave), Oakland, CA94606 (Lake Merritt BART station is the closest station.)

Laura would be honored by your presence. Appetizers will be provided. No-hostbar.
http://www.laurawells.org/
http://twitter.com/Wells4Gov

http://www.facebook.com/#/pages/Laura-Wells-for-Governor-of-California/232783500399?ref=sgm

Forum and Speakout on the Future ofKPFA:Whose station, whose news, whose stories and voices, produced by whom, to whatend?

Wednesday,February 3
7p.m.
522Valencia Street near 16th Street
SanFrancisco, CA

InitialSpeakers:
JackHeyman, ILWU Local 10
RivaEnteen, Past Chair KPFA Local Station Board
AnnGarrison, Independent Journalist, Green Party activist
DennisBernstein, Producer, KPFA Flashpoints

For Information call (415)867-0628

Board of SupervisorsHaiti Event
Friday, February 5
5 to 7 p.m.
Rickshaw Stop, 155 Fell Street near Van Ness Avenue
Suggested donation: $20.00

200,000 dead. 3 million homeless.Thousands dying for lack of medical care and supplies. Here's how you can help.Join Supervisors John Avalos, Sophie Maxwell, David Campos, Bevan Dufty, SeanElsbernd, Chris Daly, Ross Mirkarimi, Carmen Chu, David Chiu, MichelaAlioto-Pier, and Eric Mar and open up your wallets in support of the people ofHaiti.

Enjoy live music, fabulous drinks, and hear from the Haiti Action Committeeabout what is happening on the ground. We will have a raffle with some excitingprizes! All proceeds will benefit the Haiti Emergency Relief Fund, which hasbeen supporting grassroots, community-based organizations in Haiti for the pastsix years.

Green Party of California 20thAnniversary Celebration
http://www.cagreens.org/action/Anniversary.2010.php

Green Party of California: 1990 to the present
Celebrate Green History • Look Ahead • Green Politics • Fun
Saturday, February 6
12to 9 p.m.

Location: Berkeley Fellowship of Unitarian Universalists

1924 Cedar Street, at Bonita Avenue, Berkeley(nearest BART station is Downtown Berkeley, about a 15 minute walk from theBerkeley Fellowship)
Sliding scale donation $8-$25; space is limited
Vegetarian dinner included w/$17 donation or more

All Day: Make a video, tell your story of when and why you joined the
Green Party
Daytime: Workshop/Strategy/Press Conference
• Noon: Socializing, bring your Green Party signs, banners, literature
for display
• 1:00 pm: Greening California 2010 Election Strategy/Media Open
Session, featuring
- present & past GPCA candidates for Statewide Constitutional Office
- 2010 GPCA candidates for State Legislative Office
- present & past California Green Officeholders
- media training
- ballot measures
• 3:30pm: Press Conference

Nightime: History/Party/Dinner/Story Telling/See old friends, make new ones
• 4:30pm: Panels/discussions/recollections/videos of GPCA History,including
- the pre-party years, 1985-1990
- founding and qualification ballot drive of the Green Party ofCalifornia
- early statewide candidacies
- Green city council majorities in Arcata and Sebastopol
- Charlene Spretnak video interview, call-in
- share your own stories

Confirmed participants from the party's early days currently include
Sara Amir, Barbara Blong, Hank Chapot, Regina Endrizzi, Mike Feinstein,
Margaret Garcia, Dan Hamburg, Joe Louis Hoffman, Greg Jan, Mitra andothers

SPACE LIMITED, RESERVATIONS ENCOURAGED
PLEASE RSVP to strategyretreat at cagreens.org
and please let us know if you'll be there for dinner, so we know how
much food to order

Join our Facebook group and invite your friends:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=62534706497

http://www.sfgreenparty.org/

http://twitter.com/gpca

Peace!