[SFGP] DRAFT: SFGP Greenzine: Intro to New Members/Monthly Meeting Wednesday / We're Hiring!

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Fri Apr 22 20:18:01 PDT 2011

Happy Earth Day from the Greens who live it every day!

This Wednesday we are having a special "New Members Orientation"
presentation at our Monthly Meeting in light of the recent upsurge in new
folks checking out the Green Party for the first time.  There will be a
30-minute overview w/ Q&A of how the SFGP operates and everything you need
to know to become an active participant.  If you have been wanting to get
more involved, but weren't sure how, this is the meeting to attend!  We'll
also discuss exciting developments in the Mayor's race, and more!
Don't miss the fun Earth Day festivities Saturday listed at the bottom.
*We are also looking to hire a new Volunteer Coordinator, see listing
below...*

*Monthly Meeting*
Wed, April 27
7 pm - 9 pm (starts at 7 sharp due to long agenda)
Location: El Cafe Tazo, 3087 16th St between Mission & Valencia

*Agenda*

Introductions - 5 minutes

New Members Orientation - Intro to the SF Green Party, with Q&A - 30 min
 presented by current active members

Green Party of California plenary (April 30-May 1 in Berkeley) - discussion
 of main agenda item, fundraising and outreach plan, and choose delegates
 from SF - 20 minutes, presented by Barry Hermanson

Mayoral strategy discussion, possible decision on early endorsement of Terry
 Baum - 20 minutes; Terry will attend and answer questions

GGNRA policy - new plan to ban dogs; Bruce Wolfe will propose that we
 oppose it - 15 minutes

Anti-Privatization plank - currently being discussed online; we will
 try to finalize language at this meeting - 20 minutes, presented by
 Eric Brooks

Treasure Island update - new updates to development plan:
 http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/04/21/BA1S1J4Q53.DTL
 SFGP position on opposing this?  10 minutes presented by Eric Brooks

*===========================*

**Paid contractor wanted: SF Green Party Fundraiser/volunteer coordinator**
Part time independent contractor (1099) position
Approximately 10 hrs/week, working from your home
Earn $10-20/hr, based on commission

The SF Green Party (SFGP) is seeking a part-time contractor to help us
raise money for voter outreach (primarily, booth fees and costs of our
voter guide), as well as to help coordinate volunteers.

*Duties*:
* Raise funds for the SFGP by calling registered Green Party members
in SF. This will include "cold calling" as well as contacting our
previous donors. Lists will be provided.

* Update the SFGP's database with phonebanking results, including
people who wish to volunteer, have moved or changed phone numbers.

* Provide information to members about current SFGP activities,
including volunteer opportunities, events, and meetings.
Coordinate members wishing to volunteer via follow-up phone calls
and/or email.

*Requirements*:
* Prior phone canvassing experience (e.g., either volunteer or paid
progressive work for a progressive campaign).

* Knowledge of SFGP activities. The contractor must remain aware of
upcoming tabling opportunities and meetings, as well as party
strategy, in order to answer questions from members.

* Professional and discreet with sensitive personal and financial
information. Enthusiasm and strong personal communication skills
are also necessary.

* Personal values consistent with the Green Party's 10 Key Values:
http://www.gp.org/tenkey.shtml

The contractor will use their own telephone to contact SFGP members
from the voter file, and will solicit donations by credit card or
check. The contractor will also coordinate members wishing to
volunteer for SFGP activities. Results of phonebanking will be
entered into an online database. The initial contract will be for 100
hrs of work (approximately 10 weeks), and may be extended depending on
how successful the fundraising is. Pay will be commission-based: 50%
of donations received, with a minimum rate of $10/hr and a maximum
rate of $20/hr. The contractor will be responsible for all federal
and state income and employment taxes, including self-employment
taxes.

This position is available immediately and will remain open until
filled. Women, people of color, LGBT persons, and people with
disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. We will interview
qualified applicants starting in mid-February. Please submit cover
letter and CV to the SF Green Party county council, cc at sfgreens.org.

*===========================*

*Hotel Frank Boycott*
A reminder about the ongoing boycott at the Hotel Frank which the SFGP has
endorsed.

Hotel Frank was auctioned off in a *foreclosure* sale in May, 2010 by *Wells
Fargo Bank.* The bank then sold the hotel to a financial speculator called *AEW
Capital Management.* The hotel is now managed by a company called *
Provenance.* Since the foreclosure sale:

   - Management has not paid one penny for medical coverage or pensions.
   - Staff have to work an extra half-hour per day for free.
   - Room cleaners clean many more rooms, even if it means skipping breaks
   and meal periods.
   - Staffing has been cut at the front desk and in housekeeping, while the
   workload has increased.
   - The hotel has fired and disciplined workers on frivolous and
   discriminatory charges.
   - The National Labor Relations Board has charged management with
   violating federal labor laws.
   - *Picket lines* - every Wednesday from 3 to 5:30 and Friday from 1 to
   5:30.  If you can only stop by for a short time, it is still very much
   appreciated by the workers.  Many of the hotels in SF have now signed
   contracts with Local 2.  The Hotel Frank is one of the few who have not.
   - http://www.hotelfranksf.info/

*===========================

**Greens to Obama & Congress on Earth Day:
Get serious about global warming, clean energy*
http://www.gp.org/press/pr-national.php?ID=417

*===========================

**Saturday in the city with the Green mayor across the bay...**
Deep Green Fest**
Performers:*
*THE COUP • HEAVYWEIGHT DUB CHAMPION feat. DAKINI STAR & SASHA ROSE of
GODDESS ALCHEMY PROJECT* • MC YOGI • SOUL MAJESTIC • with DJs Dov • Alex
Theory • Neptune • Nugs • Chlorophil • Feral • Little John • MiHKAL & more
*Speakers: *DAVID BRONNER, RICHARD LEE, ED ROSENTHAL, RALPH METZNER, CHRIS
CONRAD, STEVE DeANGELO, CAROLYN GARCIA, KEVIN DANAHER and many others!
-Vapor lounge for medicinal marijuana patients
http://www.deepgreenfest.com/*

**===========================*

*SF Earth Day festivities Saturday...*
http://www.earthdaysf.com/

*While we work out the final touches on our new website (it's coming really
soon now!) stop by our Facebook Group*:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=62534706497&v=wall

Contact: email cc at sfgreens.org, or phone 415-480-GPSF (480-4773). Mail (and
donations by check) can be sent to: