[SFGP] Greenzine: Hunger Protest / Prisoners; Memorial for Jazzie Collins

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Wed Jul 31 09:16:14 PDT 2013

July 31, 2013

https://www.sfgreenparty.org
 https://twitter.com/sfgreenparty
 https://www.facebook.com/groups/SFGreenParty/

 NEWS:

1. Bradley Manning NOT GUILTY of "aiding the enemy": month long
sentencing phase to determine fate:
http://www.bradleymanning.org/featured/bradley-manning-not-guilty-of-aiding-the-enemy-convicted-on-19-other-counts

2. AROC-Arab Resource & Organizing Center presented PRISONERS &
RAMADAN: The Value of Dignity Over Hunger 7/27 with Adam Hudson
connecting Hunger Strikes in Guantanamo,Cuba & Pelican Bay Prison,CA
and Palestine. Adam Hudson is a journalist who just returned from a
2-week trip to Guantanamo Bay: Guantanamo prisoners are still being
force fed and tortured. They have attorneys but the rules of law vary
such as allowing hearsay in their trials. All 3 locations share the
common goals ending inhuman prison treatment including solitary
confinement. After an informative forum & Q&A, we all shared in the
Iftar (Ramadan) Dinner which breaks the day long Ramadan fast at
sundown for Muslims, made all the stronger for many this year in
solidarity w/prisoners. See July 31st event below for actions.

3. Jill Stein is coming to California September 15-21st. This is an
opportunity for Greens to host events with her. If interested in
having her at an event, please contact June Brashares, Green Party
Sonoma County, 415-425-3733. Jill is scheduled at the Petaluma
Progressive Festival for Sunday September 15th and in LA, Saturday
September 21st. Other dates are open at the moment.

JULY-AUGUST EVENTS:

1. Hunger for Justice
Wednesday, July 31
Location: Oscar Grant Plaza
Time: Gather at 11am (Lunch time rally)
14th & Broadway in Downtown Oakland - 12th Street City Center BART

On Wednesday July 31st, people around the world will fast and take other
action in solidarity with the California Prisoner Hunger Strikers. Join
family members of hunger strikers along with James Cromwell, Angela Davis,
Mike Farrell, Danny Glover, Elliott Gould, Chris Hedges, Alice Walker, and
Cornel West. We fast knowing that the criminalization that killed Trayvon
Martin, and the criminalization that justifies the torture of prisoners in
solitary confinement are one and the same.

2. Thursday, August 1: Stand with Workers -- Support a Safer BART: The
rally will kick off at 5pm at Frank Ogawa Plaza in downtown Oakland,
and at 6pm, we'll march down to BART headquarters to make our voices
heard.

3. Thursday, August 1 from 5 to 8 pm: Memorial for Jazzie Collins at
Mission High School located at 3750 18th St.SF Doors open at 5:00 pm,
program 5:30 pm - 8:00 pm:
www.facebook.com/events/358929460877299/

4. Friday, August 2nd: Summer Heat: Confronting the Climate Crisis:
Environmental, labor, social justice, and health perspectives on
building a winning movement.  Bill McKibben will speak.
7:00pm
Nourse Theater
275 Hayes Street
San Francisco, CA 94102

5. Saturday, August 3 at 10 am; Summer Heat Protest! Gather outside
Richmond BART station/march to Chevron refinery. Hear Green Party
Richmond Mayor Gayle McLaughlin speak!

http://joinsummerheat.org/bay/

SF Green Party endorses Summer Heat: No Keystone XL tar sands
pipeline. No more life-threatening hazards. No refining of dirty
crude. Refining high-sulfur, low-quality tarsands/fracked oil
increases greenhouse gas emissions and toxic air pollutants.It also
corrodes refinery machinery which contributes to major industrial
accidents. No more tax evasion.  We demand a just transition from
dirty fossil fuels to union jobs in clean energy. Chevron needs to
support Richmond’s long-term transition to a renewable energy-based
economy that is good for people and the planet.

6. Sunday, August 4, SF Mime Troupe Yerba Buena Gardens, 3rd St. &
Mission in downtown SF. Music at 1:30 pm; "Oil & Water" theater starts
2 pm. Don't miss it!

The Green Party of California is seeking independent contractors
for a variety of positions: fundraiser, organizer, and press
secretary. To get more details, or to apply, see their web page:
http://www.cagreens.org/

Paid contractor wanted: SF Green Party Fundraiser/Volunteer Coordinator
(a part time independent contractor (1099) position):
http://sfgreenparty.org/help-wanted