[SFGP] Greenzine: first endorsements for November, Nader speaking this week

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Sat Jul 26 13:50:08 PDT 2014

July 26

     We've made our first endorsements for this November's election,
with more to come after our candidate forum on August 27.  These
are listed below, and on our website:

http://sfgreenparty.org/endorsements/64-november-2014-endorsements

     We are especially pleased to endorse the initiative to keep
Golden Gate natural grass, which officially made the ballot this week!
Thanks to all the hard-working volunteers who made it happen.  Here's
more coverage of our fight against the toxic artificial turf:

http://sfgreenparty.org/issues/63-fake-turf-wars-by-mike-murphy

     Greens continue to protest the Israeli killing of Palestinians
in Gaza, and we post announcements of local demonstrations on our
website as we hear about them.  In contrast to last week's unanimous
bipartisan Senate vote in support of more killing, we have long
supported the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement:

http://www.sfgreenparty.org/issues/13-israel-bds

    (Since we issued the above statement several years ago, it is
no longer on our front page--however, it is easy to find if you
search for "SF Green Party Israel" in any search engine.)

*===========================*

Ralph Nader is in the Bay Area for several events this week.

Because SF Greens have been outspoken in support of saving the
US Post Office from privatization, we are glad to see Nader
discussing the same issue at a public (and free) talk:

Tuesday, July 29
2 pm - music
2:30 pm - talk

Ralph Nader will speak on the steps of the Berkeley Post Office (2000
Allston Way, Berkeley, CA) about the Post Office, privatization of our
public goods and services, & the fight to dismantle the corporate
state.

http://berkeleypostofficedefenders.wordpress.com/

Nader will also speak at two other events this week; he'll be in
Berkeley this Wednesday night and in SF on Thursday:

http://www.mercurynews.com/books/ci_26174405/author-alert-ralph-nader-talks-about-unstoppable-at

*===========================*

SF Green Party Monthly Members Meeting and Candidate Forum
Wed, August 27 - 6-10 pm
Redstone Building, Room 302
2940 16th Street (between Mission and South Van Ness)

We hold monthly meetings on the 4th Wednesday of every month.  We will
interview candidates who return our candidate questionnaires at our
August meeting.  Candidates should expect to receive questionnaires by
email in the next two weeks.

Although we have started making endorsements on propositions, there
are still many more to consider, and we will work on those at our
August meeting as well.

Local props are here:
http://www.sfgov2.org/index.aspx?page=2969

State props are here:
http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/ballot-measures/qualified-ballot-measures.htm

If you want to ask questions of the candidates or find out more about
ballot initiatives and the Green arguments in favor or against, come
to our meeting this month!  All our meetings are open to the public,
so come if you're a new member or thinking of joining us.

*===========================*

Our endorsements so far:

Local Props (these don't have ballot letters yet):
* YES on keeping Golden Gate Park natural grass, and
* NO on the proposal to allow nighttime lighting and fake turf on all parks
* NO on the "transportation balance" proposal
* YES on the anti-speculation real estate transfer tax

Local Candidates:
* David Campos for Assembly
* Daniel Flores for Judge

State Props:
* NO on 43 - anti-environmental water bond
* NO on 44 - rainy day fund, when we should be stimulating the local economy
* YES on 45 - limits on health insurance rate increases
* NO on 46 - we support raising the malpractice award cap, but strongly
  oppose random drug testing
* YES on 47 - changing some nonviolent felonies to misdemeanors
* YES on 49 - statement opposing unlimited corporate bribes

Paid contractor wanted: SF Green Party Fundraiser/Volunteer Coordinator
(a part time independent contractor (1099) position):

http://sfgreenparty.org/help-wanted