[SFGP] First round of endorsements, upcoming candidate forum and events

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Thu Aug 20 12:34:15 PDT 2020

August 20, 2020

instagram.com/sfgreenparty
mastodon.sfgreens.org/@sfgreenparty

    We have started making our endorsements for the November election.
We've endorsed several candidates for Supervisor, and some local and
statewide props:
  http://sfgreenparty.org/endorsements/95-november-2020-endorsements

    Our next step will be to interview candidates for School Board,
College Board, and BART Board.  Interviews will be held on Aug 26, and
we will decide who to endorse over the following two weeks.  If you're
a SF Green Party member and would like to join our Zoom interviews,
scheduled from July 22 from 7-9 pm, please email cc at sfgreens.org for
call-in information.  Candidates' answers to our questionnaires are
posted here:
  http://sfgreenparty.org/11-news/94-questionnaires-posted-for-aug-26-candidate-forum

    Also, please support your local Bay Area Green Party candidates!
An event for Jake Tonkel (running for Supervisor in Santa Clara) is
tonight (details below, along with other upcoming events we've endorsed):

*===========================*

What:  Greens FUNdraising for Jake Tonkel
When:  Thursday, Aug 20, 6-7:30 pm
Where:  online, zoom

The Green Party of Santa Clara County has a Greens FUNdraising for
Jake Tonkel zoom event scheduled this Thursday 8/20 6-7:30 PDT.

Please help us promote the event and attend and donate if
possible while we are on live.

Any amount helps and it’s more important to just have lots of people
attend and donate small amounts through the event to get people
excited and participating:
https://www.facebook.com/events/334715777660072/

You can register for the event here: https://bit.ly/greens4jake

We have David Cobb and Laura Wells as special guests, and the format
will be a zoom call with folks being able to participate and a high
energy conversation between our special guests and Jake, to get Greens
excited about his campaign and donate while we are live.

If you can not be on the event live but still would like to donate
(any amount is great) please let us know (email Nassim Nouri
<nassim1nouri at gmail.com>) and she can add your contribution to our
event list as a pledge.

Thank you all for your help in promoting this event and helping
support Jake Tonkel. https://jake4d6.com/

*===========================*

What:  Car Caravan: Bayview Hunters Point says "We Can't Breathe!"
When:  Tues, Aug 25, 11 AM
Where:  MLK Park in the Bayview at Keith & Bancroft Streets, one block
  east of 3rd St.

This is an invitation to the entire Bay Area climate justice movement
to show up for environmental and racial justice in the historically
Black, now multi-racial, Bayview Hunters Point Community.

This community is the site of the former Hunters Point Naval Shipyard,
which is one of the worst superfund sites in the country due to
chemical and radioactive waste from atomic bombs and years of research
that is buried under the land on which housing is now being built for
rich people to displace even more Black people from San Francisco.
Meanwhile, due to contamination from the shipyard, two cement plants,
a rendering plant and a host of other environmental assaults, the
lifespan of people in BVHP is fourteen years less than that of people
who live in Russian Hill.

Environmental toxins are a major factor in population susceptibility
to covid-19, which is also hitting the Bayview particularly hard.

The SF Green Party has endorsed this event.

*===========================*

What:  SF Green Party Organizing
When:  All the time
Where:  Online

Until the pandemic is under control, we will not be holding in-person
meetings.  Government will need to implement a widespread testing and
contact tracing program in order to safely open things up.

Unfortunately, a number of our active members do not have reliable
internet access (especially with our public libraries closed), so
holding general monthly meetings over Zoom is not an option.  Instead,
we have an email list for discussions between active members, and our
county council (CC) meets by Zoom on the 3rd Wednesdays of every
month.

If you'd like to join our conversation online, or our CC meetings,
please email cc at sfgreens.org with your name and contact info, and also
please remind us if you've been to a meeting before.  If you are
unable to join us but still want to follow what's going on, you can
call Barry Hermanson at 415-255-9494.