[SFGP] Greenzine - Gubernatorial and KPFA election endorsements

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Mon Aug 16 08:13:31 PDT 2021

August 16, 2021

instagram.com/sfgreenparty
mastodon.sfgreens.org/@sfgreenparty

    At our monthly meeting last month, we endorsed NO on the
gubernatorial recall election.  Although we strongly disapprove of
Newsom's performance as Governor, we also have many concerns about
the leading candidates to replace him, as well the plurality vote
(rather than ranked choice vote) on his replacement, since a plurality
vote will likely result in a winner with little popular support.

    We are currently vetting the Green candidates running to replace
Newsom, and will consider making an endorsement at a special meeting
this Wednesday, 8/18.  If you are an active Green and would like to
participate, email cc at sfgreens.org.

    Also, if you're a KPFA member, please be sure to vote for the
Rescue Pacifica candidates in the election that starts today (8/16)!
The election is for the Local Station Board (LSB) and it will be
conducted using ranked choice voting.  We have endorsed the nine
Rescue Pacifica candidates, as listed below.  (More info about Rescue
Pacifica is here: https://rescuepacifica.net/ ).

    This year's election is vital to preserve democracy at KPFA and
Pacifica!  Individuals involved with the opposing faction worked to
gut the powers of the LSB and they've filed lawsuits to try to take
control of KPFA and the Pacifica network.  Please use your democratic
voting rights to maintain and strengthen the LSB by voting for the
Rescue Pacifica candidates as your top nine choices!

    Please vote for all nine of the following candidates as your top
choices (in any order):

Rich Stone *
Daniel Borgstrom *
Don Macleay *
James McFadden *
Adisa Armand
Donna Carter
Pete Farruggio
Amber Jayanti
Elizabeth Milos

* = Registered Greens; note that Rich Stone is a County Council member
here in San Francisco.

    Thank you for standing up for democracy and supporting
progressive, independent radio!

*===========================*

What:  SF Green Party Special Meeting - Gubernatorial Recall
Where:  online and/or in person, details TBA
When:  Wed, Aug 18, 7:30-9 pm

We are currently vetting the Green candidates running to replace
Newsom, and will consider making an endorsement at a special meeting
this Wednesday, 8/18 (combined with our regular CC meeting).  If
you are an active Green and would like to participate, email
cc at sfgreens.org.

*===========================*

What:  Save the date - Green Party Monthly meeting
Where:  online and/or in person, details TBA
When:  Wed, Aug 25, 7-9 pm

We will set the agenda and location at this Wed's CC meeting.

Every 4th Wednesday the SF Green Party meets to discuss issues of
concern, listen to interesting speakers, endorse events, plan outreach
and more!  Everyone welcome.  All meetings are wheelchair accessible.
To make a presentation or gain the SFGP endorsement of events and
issues, please contact our SFGP County Council at: cc at sfgreens.org

*===========================*

What:  Online events
When:  various dates, see below

Below are some more online events -- as before, almost all of them are
free, and they're hosted across the country, as well as in Canada, the
UK, New Zealand, and Ireland.  (The listed times are for the local
Pacific time zone).  They cover a fairly broad range of topics, so
please just ignore the ones you're not interested in.  And of course,
do feel free to forward as much or as little of this info to others as
you'd like:

Mon, 8/16, 3 pm -- P&P Live! Eyal Press: DIRTY WORK with Patrick Radden
Keefe -- Drone pilots who carry out targeted
assassinations. Undocumented immigrants who man the “kill floors” of
industrial slaughterhouses. Guards who patrol the wards of the United
States’ most violent and abusive prisons. In Dirty Work: Essential
Jobs and the Hidden Toll of Inequality in America, Eyal Press offers a
paradigm-shifting view of the moral landscape of contemporary America
through the stories of people who perform society’s most ethically
troubling jobs. As Press shows, we are increasingly shielded and
distanced from an array of morally questionable activities that other,
less privileged people perform in our name -- Eyal Press is an author
and a journalist based in New York. The recipient of the James Aronson
Award for Social Justice Journalism, an Andrew Carnegie fellowship, a
Cullman Center fellowship at the New York Public Library, and a Puffin
Foundation fellowship at Type Media Center, he is a contributor to The
New Yorker, The New York Times, and numerous other publications. He is
the author of Beautiful Souls and Absolute Convictions -- Press will
be joined in conversation with Patrick Radden Keefe, a staff writer at
The New Yorker magazine and the author of Empire of Pain: The Secret
History of the Sackler Dynasty and Chatter: Dispatches from the Secret
World of Global Eavesdropping:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/pp-live-eyal-press-dirty-work-with-patrick-radden-keefe-tickets-163431858087?aff=ebdssbonlinesearch

Mon, 8/16, 5 pm -- An audience with environmental economist Suzi Kerr
-- An audience with environmental economist Suzi Kerr -- New Zealander
Suzi Kerr is at the forefront of international climate change research
and policy. In her current role as the chief economist at the
Environmental Defense Fund in New York City, Suzi looks at how
economic forces can be used to address climate change rather than
drive it.  Join Suzi, Commission Chair Rod Carr and principal
economist Chris Holland for a panel discussion on the intersection of
climate action, climate change policy and economic -- Organized by the
Climate Change Commission of New Zealand:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/an-audience-with-environmental-economist-suzi-kerr-tickets-165076876381?keep_tld=1

Tue, 8/17, 10:30 am -- Wretched of the Earth ONLINE -- Online book
club meeting to discuss Frantz Fanon's Wretched of the Earth -- We
will be discussing Frantz Fanon's classic text, Wretched of the Earth,
on 17 August. All are welcome to join, even if you haven't read the
book!  A link to join the Teams meeting will be sent to whichever
email you use to register closer to the time of the event -- Organized
by the Revolutionary Reading Room:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/wretched-of-the-earth-online-tickets-161808215729?aff=ebdssbonlinesearch

Tue, 8/17, 3:30 pm -- Conversations Book Club: Begin Again: James
Baldwin's America and Its Urgent Lessons for Our Own-- We live,
according to Eddie S.  Glaude, Jr., in a moment when the struggles of
Black Lives Matter and the attempt to achieve a new America have been
challenged by the election of Donald Trump, a president who refused to
embrace a vision of the country shorn of the insidious belief that
white people matter more than others -- We have been here before: For
James Baldwin, these after times came in the wake of the civil rights
movement, when a similar attempt to compel a national confrontation
with the truth was answered with the murders of Medgar Evers, Malcolm
X, and Martin Luther King, Jr. In these years, spanning from the
publication of The Fire Next Time in 1963 to that of No Name in the
Street in 1972, Baldwin transformed into a more overtly political
writer, a change that came at great professional and personal
cost. But from that journey, Baldwin emerged with a sense of renewed
purpose about the necessity of pushing forward in the face of
disillusionment and despair -- In the story of Baldwin’s crucible,
Glaude suggests, we can find hope and guidance through our own after
times, this Trumpian era of shattered promises and white
retrenchment. Mixing biography with history, memoir, and trenchant
analysis of our current moment, Begin Again is Glaude’s endeavor,
following Baldwin, to bear witness to the difficult truth of race in
America today. It lays bare the tangled web of race, trauma, and
memory, and a powerful interrogation of what we all must ask of
ourselves in order to call forth a new America -- James Baldwin grew
disillusioned by the failure of the civil rights movement to force
America to confront its lies about race. In our own moment, when that
confrontation feels more urgently needed than ever, what can we learn
from his struggle?:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/conversations-book-club-begin-again-tickets-163996352505?aff=ebdssbonlinesearch

Tue, 8/17, 7 pm -- Lisa Wells & Mickey Huff: Believers: Making a Life
at the End of World -- In search of answers and action, award-winning
poet and essayist Lisa Wells brings us Believers, introducing
trailblazers and outliers from across the globe who have found
radically new ways to live and reconnect to the Earth in the face of
climate change -- Like many of us, Lisa Wells has spent years
overwhelmed by news of apocalyptic-scale climate change and a coming
sixth extinction. She did not need to be convinced of the stakes. But
what can be done? Wells embarked on a pilgrimage, seeking answers in
dedicated communities—outcasts and visionaries—on the margins of
society -- Wells meets Finisia Medrano, an itinerant planter and
misanthrope leading a group of nomadic activists to rewild the
American desert. She finds a group of environmentalist Christians
practicing "watershed discipleship" in New Mexico; another group in
Philadelphia turning the tools of violence into tools of farming—guns
into plowshares. She watches the world’s greatest tracker teach how to
read a trail, and visits botanists who are restoring land overrun by
invasive species and destructive humans. She talks with survivors of
catastrophic wildfires in California as they try to rebuild in new
ways that acknowledge the fires will come again. Wells opens up
seemingly intractable questions about the damage we have done and how
we might reckon with our inheritance. Believers demands
transformation: If the Earth is our home, if our home is being
destroyed—how then shall we live? -- Lisa Wells is the author of The
Grief Tower, Raising Up a Generation of Healthy Third Culture Kids,
and The Simple Life -- Mickey Huff is the current Director of Project
Censored and president of the nonprofit Media Freedom Foundation, and
professor of social science and history at Diablo Valley College:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/lisa-wells-mickey-huff-believers-making-a-life-at-the-end-of-world-tickets-159198058679?aff=ebdssbonlinesearch

Tue, 8/24, 6 pm -- Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz in conversation with Alejandro
Murguía -- Celebrating the launch of her new book Not A Nation of
Immigrants: Settler Colonialism, White Supremacy, and a History of
Erasure and Exclusion -- Debunks the pervasive and self-congratulatory
myth that our country is proudly founded by and for immigrants, and
urges readers to embrace a more complex and honest history of the
United States -- Whether in political debates or discussions about
immigration around the kitchen table, many Americans, regardless of
party affiliation, will say proudly that we are a nation of
immigrants. In this bold new book, historian Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz
asserts this ideology is harmful and dishonest because it serves to
mask and diminish the US's history of settler colonialism, genocide,
white supremacy, slavery, and structural inequality, all of which we
still grapple with today -- Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz grew up in rural
Oklahoma in a tenant farming family. She has been active in the
international Indigenous movement for more than 4 decades and is known
for her lifelong commitment to national and international social
justice issues. Dunbar-Ortiz is the winner of the 2017 Lannan Cultural
Freedom Prize, and is the author or editor of many books, including An
Indigenous Peoples' History of the United States, a recipient of the
2015 American Book Award:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/roxanne-dunbar-ortiz-in-conversation-with-alejandro-murguia-tickets-151014228623?aff=ebdssbonlinesearch