[SFGP] Greenzine - monthly meeting agenda for July 28

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Sat Jul 24 11:53:47 PDT 2021

July 24, 2021

instagram.com/sfgreenparty
mastodon.sfgreens.org/@sfgreenparty

    One of our members, Ann Garrison, was just on Redacted Tonight
this last week.  The subject of the show was some of what she's been
reporting on KPFA and Pacifica for the past 12 years:

  This Is Where The US Might Invade Next (w/ Ann Garrison)
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiUuvwctdXM&t=1s

    Thanks to all Greens who urged the MTA to restore full Muni
service, and keep private vehicles out of transit lanes.  Follow us
on Twitter for updates on this fight.

    Next week, we're happy to welcome back members to our second month
of in-person meetings!  See the agenda, below:

What:  SF Green Party Monthly Meeting
Where:  Redstone Bldg (2940 16th Street, near South Van Ness) #301, SF
When:  Wed, July 28, 7-9 pm

Agenda:

* Mask protocol - see below

* Intros

* Gubernatorial recall endorsements.  We need to decide on whether to
  make endorsements on two separate questions:
  1) A yes/no vote on recalling Newsom, and
  2) if the recall vote gets 50%+1, who will replace him.

  Voters will vote on both questions on September 14.  The candidates
  on the ballot for the second question are listed here, and include
  two LA Greens (we are not sure if either is active):
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_California_gubernatorial_recall_election

  We will be deciding on endorsements both on behalf of the SFGP, as
  well as determining how our four votes at the GPCA will be cast as
  the state party makes its endorsement decisions.

* Tabling feedback.  Several Greens are going out and doing voter
  outreach at farmers markets during the summer.  They wanted feedback
  on literature and other aspects of their outreach.

* KPFA updates.  We will hear the latest news on bylaws election results
  and on the new slate of board candidates who are running, including
  several Greens.

* Discussion of state bills SB9 and SB10, housing bills which would
  have far-reaching effects.  Both SB9 and SB10 would continue the move
  to centralize land use decisions in Sacramento:

  SB9 would eliminate single family zoning statewide by allowing for
  additional housing units to be built in existing parcels without
  hearings or environmental review.

  SB10 will allow city councils to overturn ballot measures put in
  place to protect open space and approve by-right 10 unit
  developments regardless of existing zoning laws.

Mask protocol: since we don't know in advance who might be coming to
the meetings, the CC's suggested protocol will be to ask at the
beginning if everybody present is fully vaccinated, and if so, masks
would be optional.  If anybody is not vaccinated, we would all wear
masks during the meeting.

Every 4th Wednesday the SF Green Party meets to discuss issues of
concern, listen to interesting speakers, endorse events, plan outreach
and more!  Everyone welcome.  All meetings are wheelchair accessible.
To make a presentation or gain the SFGP endorsement of events and
issues, please contact our SFGP County Council at: cc at sfgreens.org

*===========================*

What:  National Green Party, elders caucus
Where:  online
When:  by Monday, July 26

The national Green Party is now in the process of forming an Elders
Caucus.  Among other things, the Elders Caucus "strives to bring the
many years of Green Party activism and life experiences of its members
to bear on the critical struggles facing us today in our party, our
nation, and our world.  We have lived the history of our Party.  We
believe that our institutional knowledge and experiences, combined
with our continuing efforts and actions can empower Greens of all ages
to engage in collaborative forward thinking to influence policies and
incorporate actions that liberate, honor and empower us all".  So if
you're 55 or older, please consider joining!

More info is
here:  https://greenpartyelderscaucus.wordpress.com/

And the registration form to join is also on that same website, under
"Membership Criteria---> Register".  (Note: Please be sure to join no
later than by this coming Monday, July 26, if you'd possibly like to
participate in the discussion of the caucus's bylaws, which are also
on the website).

*===========================*

Below are some more online events of interest to Greens -- as before,
almost all of them are free.  (The listed times are the local Pacific
time zone times).

Sat, 7/24, 5 pm -- People’s Park, UC and Privatization -- The ongoing
battle to prevent the development of People’s Park in Berkeley by the
millionaire UC Regents continues unabated.  This panel will talk about
this history and how the corporatization and privatization of UC is
pushing to privatize the University for the profiteers -- With Harvey
Smith, President, National New Deal Preservation Association and
Michael Delacour, Boilermaker Local 6 and Organizer of Fight To Defend
People’s Park:
https://laborfest.net/event/world-poets/

Fri, 8/6, 8 am thru Sat, 8/7, 5 pm -- 7th Soil Not Oil Virtual
Conference "Our Food Our Medicine":
This conference will focus on practical solutions to the various
problems that impact us all -- From the four crises humanity currently
faces --on public health, job loss, climate instability and extensive
food insecurity-- a local, sustainable, organic production of food
following key agroecological principles can serve as a holistic
solution that can easily be implemented planet wide -- Organized by
the Soil Not Oil Coalition -- We are part of a global-growing movement
leaded by scientists, environmental organizations and citizens who
share concerns and collect data that proves the decline in soil
health, which is the result of the use of fossil fuels since the
1800's and the extended use of agro-chemicals in industrial
agriculture since the 1960's. Those factors, along with deforestation,
acidification of the ocean and disruption of ecological cycles, have
created a problem that only can be solved with educating on tools
available to sequester carbon back into the soils. We believe that
restructuring land management practices is key to combating climate
change, restoring water cycles, reducing global environmental
pollution, stopping ocean acidification, re-establishing biodiversity,
improving food production and revitalizing local economies across the
planet. The Soil Not Oil Coalition promotes research and further
understanding to optimize soil carbon sequestration and
sustainability, to aid in the development of adequate food production
for future generations and to help reverse the effects of global
warming:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/7th-soil-not-oil-virtual-conference-our-food-our-medicine-tickets-158259914665?aff=ebdssbonlinesearch